Sennheiser HD650 Cable Shootout: Stock, Zu, Equinox and Grace Five Two
Dec 11, 2007 at 6:30 AM Post #136 of 147
^^ that is screwed up. i think i'll stick with my zu. had the cable 2 weeks after i ordered it. later had it reterminated. had to wait a whole 3 weeks for that one.

Dec 11, 2007 at 7:50 AM Post #137 of 147
thanks for the heads up....

I've actually just taken the plunge and ordered the Zu Mobius today, so hopefully that does the trick!

Dec 11, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #139 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by pxpx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...one area that I am dissapointed with is progressive metal. By far my favourite band is Tool, a progressive/art metal band. The Opera and stock 650 just seem to turn their music into mush! There is very little separation, their seems to be a distinct lack of detail, (I love my details!) and the music seems to really lack PRat. ... I'm wondering if anyone might hazard a guess as to whether the Zu or the Equinox might help me with this rather genre specific issue? Which would be best? A lot of the comments I've read suggest that the Zu may be the better option but I am nervous about ending up with a sound that is too bright or harsh.

Don't worry, the Zu won't make your HD 650 an SR-225. So don't expect too much! But it will indeed add a welcome dose of treble sparkle, clarity and detail. I was just comparing Zu Mobius and stock cable on my HD 650 listening to A Perfect Circle's «Thirteenth Step», and what I heard confirmed my statement.

Another option to consider may be the Silver Dragon V2 (which is said to lack the predecessor's proneness to break), but I haven't heard it, so my recommendation is based on the sonic characteristics of the V1.

The Equinox may be the cable with the highest detail and definition of the ones I've heard, but I'm not sure if it fits your bill, as it resembled the stock cable too much when it comes to sonic balance and treble sparkle.

Quote:

I've actually just taken the plunge and ordered the Zu Mobius today, so hopefully that does the trick!

Now I see I'm too late anyway...

Dec 11, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #140 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by sthswell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pxpx,
RAL cables are great but the service is very poor. I ordered a cable in January 07 that I am still waiting for. My headphone cable took 8 months by the time I received it. Now going on 11 months for a powercord. Brad will not refund my money after repeated requests.
Buyer beware when ordering from Revelation Audio Labs!

I had just the opposite experience with Brad at RAL. My Ultrasone cable for my 2500s was late but by 2 days and with terrific communication as to why. Something is really amiss. Have you called him personally. He is a wonderful, quite religious man. I know others who have used RAL and had equally good experiences.

Dec 11, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #141 of 147
^^^ i know other people who have been waiting a very long time (many, many months) for a Bal Senn cable. so this is not an isolated incident. if long waits are the norm, maybe he should include that information on his audiogon ad. i know that SAA is pretty upfront about the wait for one of their equinox cables.

Dec 11, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #142 of 147
Thanks for ther comments JaZZ.

I'll try the Zu in the first instance, and depending on the results, may opt to buy the SDv2 as well.

PS - Thirteenth Step is a great album. If you want a really good song for headphone listening/demo'ing, I reccomend "Eulogy" by tool. It has the most amazing sequence of progressive layering of various instruments - just incredible on a good set of cans.

Dec 11, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #143 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had just the opposite experience with Brad at RAL. My Ultrasone cable for my 2500s was late but by 2 days and with terrific communication as to why. Something is really amiss. Have you called him personally. He is a wonderful, quite religious man. I know others who have used RAL and had equally good experiences.

dw6928,
I have talked to Brad numerous times and by email a bunch of times. He for the most part would answer calls and emails until I asked him for a refund.
The first cable that I ordered from Brad (Parable cable) in Dec 06 took only two weeks. Then I ordered a powercord in January 07 and im still waiting. I got ics from one of his auctions in 5 months and my headphone cable took 8 months. I see on his web site that he is religious, I dont believe God would bless his actions towards his customers.
There is a thread on audiogon that has quite a few people that are being run around by Brad. On top of that you cant leave negative feedback for RAL

I really like his cables and would have purchased more if things went smooth like my first order. Hopefully he just gets everyone their cables.

Dec 11, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #144 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozz_Keren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have anyone tries APuresound V3 Cables for HD650?

anyone?
confused.gif

Dec 14, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #145 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by sthswell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dw6928,
I have talked to Brad numerous times and by email a bunch of times. He for the most part would answer calls and emails until I asked him for a refund.
The first cable that I ordered from Brad (Parable cable) in Dec 06 took only two weeks. Then I ordered a powercord in January 07 and im still waiting. I got ics from one of his auctions in 5 months and my headphone cable took 8 months. I see on his web site that he is religious, I dont believe God would bless his actions towards his customers.
There is a thread on audiogon that has quite a few people that are being run around by Brad. On top of that you cant leave negative feedback for RAL

I really like his cables and would have purchased more if things went smooth like my first order. Hopefully he just gets everyone their cables.

I have to admit being stunned by your experience, not that I doubt anything you have shared. Mine was so diametrically different. Maybe it was just luck, or timing.
I will keep your experiences in mind before I order anything else from him.

Oct 20, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #147 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone come up with a cable that's better than the grace yet?

Funny how this cable has been forgotten. I loved the equinox, but the Grace should be a definite competitor. Especially since they never come up for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back