Sennheiser HD600 Midrange Help
Jul 14, 2005 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

arnesto

500+ Head-Fier
I was listening to my Sennheiser HD600 headphones the other night and I felt pretty disapointed with the sound quality. Althought they do sound better than my Grado SR125s, I feel vocals do not sound very clear. I can only say they sound a little foggy if I was describing vision.

When I a/b compare to my speakers they just do not deliver in the midrange vocal category. I like them because they sound very neutral, but they just do not have the clarity and the sound pressure level that I am used to with my speakers.

I was wondering if a headphone replacement cable like the Blue Dragon or Cardas would do the trick, or should I consider getting a new headphone.

If I decided to get a new headphone, I was thinking of getting the Omega IIs, but I don't want to spend all that money and end up thinking they still don't compare to my speakers.

Has anybody else felt this way with the HD600 and what can you recommend that will have very clear and neutral midrange.

BTW, I use a/d/s monitors for speakers.

Jul 15, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #2 of 24
Don't bother with the cable - that won't make enough difference to satisfy you. Consider a new headphone. I know I also notice the vocal "foginess" (and gritiness) when comparing the HD600 to a better headphone, especially the Audio Technica L3000. To me, it is a significant difference, but I can not tell you if an L3000 Or Omega II will still come up short next to your speakers.

Edit: I'm assuming you're not driving the HD600 with garbage here, though they are fairly forgiving and easy to drive.

Jul 15, 2005 at 12:15 AM Post #3 of 24
Thanks, I'll take your advise. I'll forget about the cable upgrade for now.

And I was considering the L3000 as an option.

Decisions, decisions...

Jul 15, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #4 of 24
Is this a new HD 600 you're talking about? If so, you should give it some more time (think of 150 hours) for break-in. If not, before throwing in the towel with it you could try it without the foam pads below the earpads. This will bring the midrange to the fore and make it clearer.

peacesign.gif

Jul 15, 2005 at 12:46 AM Post #6 of 24
yeah, which amp are you running? How long have you had the hd-600's and did this problem just recently come up? Did you just buy them?

Jul 15, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #7 of 24
The HD600's have wonderful midrange...it's either not the cans, or they need 100 hours. You can find lot's of used aftermarket cables for a decent price. I have the Cardas and the difference is significant.

Jul 15, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #8 of 24
Hmmm, I see you have the Headroom Max, if you have the crossfeed on you might want to experiment with turning off, it can muddy the sound.

Jul 15, 2005 at 12:53 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling

Edit: I'm assuming you're not driving the HD600 with garbage here, though they are fairly forgiving and easy to drive.

You think the HD600s are EASY to drive?
confused.gif
confused.gif

Jul 15, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #10 of 24
If your not enjoying them with the Max, they're not the cans for you, unless they're new.

Jul 15, 2005 at 1:01 AM Post #11 of 24
I thought the HD-600 with the Max were perfect until I got really good speakers*. Now they sound muddy by comparison. I've listened to Stax headphones a bit (not the Omega II) but I've always found the electrostatic sound to be a bit irritating.
I definitely found that the replacement cables made a tremendous difference. I have the Moon Audio Silver Dragon. I thought I was in heaven when I got it to replace the Cardas which I also thought was great when I first got it!
Also having good power conditioning makes a big difference as well as a good source. But again, even after getting all these improvements, when the HD-600s are compared to superior speakers they're disappointing.

* VMPS 626R Brian Cheney Signature Edition speakers driven by Channel Island D-100 monoblocks.

Jul 15, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #12 of 24
try this. pull the earpads off (tug a little bit, they'll come right out), remove the sheet of foam over the drivers, pud earpads pads back on.

listen. they should sound more forward.

if you're worried about getting dust on the drivers, you can find another material other than foam. some people use ovals cut from black pantyhose.

Jul 15, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #13 of 24
I have had the HD600 for about a year and they have to be burned in.

a/b comparing them to my portable Sony walkman, they sound great.
(This is my cheapo system.) It is a vast improvement to my low end system.

But whenever I listen to my speaker system, and then I resume my listening on my headphones. I always feel like I am getting about 80% of the clarity and dynamics I was getting on my speakers. I might try removing the foam covering the drivers if that will improve the sound.

My speaker system is not even high end and if I am trying to get best sound from my headphones then they should sound at least as good or better.

Ultimately, I believe I need to listen to some higher end headphones.

Jul 15, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnesto

But whenever I listen to my speaker system, and then I resume my listening on my headphones. I always feel like I am getting about 80% of the clarity and dynamics I was getting on my speakers. I might try removing the foam covering the drivers if that will improve the sound.

You may find what you're looking for in just a different pair of headphones. The HD600 may very well just not have the sound you're looking for -- they're not known to be the ultimate headphone for clarity, anyway. Just a thought, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back