Sennheiser HD600 Midrange Help
Jul 15, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #16 of 24
Do this and you won’t believe the sound from your HD600. This is the mod of the mods for the HD600.

Forget cables, this is all you need to do, if you want to improve the mids, highs and bass from your phones. Case closed.
k1000smile.gif

mod1.jpg

Jul 15, 2005 at 1:52 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmb367
Really?
eek.gif

Yes, really.
tongue.gif
Check the cables and tweaks For Sale forums at Head-Fi for starters.

Turbo,
If your mod (without instructions) means taking off the foam covers, it should be said, that although it removes the 600 "veil", it makes the highs quite bright.

Jul 15, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
Yes, really.
tongue.gif
Check the cables and tweaks For Sale forums at Head-Fi for starters.

I've looked for cables for a while now senn cables are pretty rare - and when they do come up they have 5 people in line after 15 minutes. Its not very easy to get a used cable, IMO.

Jul 15, 2005 at 3:58 PM Post #19 of 24
hmm,.. if you remove the foam, doesn't it almost completely remove any signs of Bass? I ran mine for about 10 mins foam-less, and I couldn't feel any punches.

Also, what kind of mesh is that? more info please.

Jul 15, 2005 at 4:54 PM Post #20 of 24
I understanding what you're saying about the Sennheisers. My experience is that this "foggi[ness]" that you describe is inherent in the HD580/600/650. In other words, I've found that different amps, cables, etc., don't really eliminate it. That being said, a lot of people enjoy the midrange of the Senns. If it's not for you, it's not for you. Better to accept that than to try to fix it.

Here are some alternatives:

AKG 501 -- inexpensive, and I LOVE the midrange of them, a bit light on bass extension

Beyer 880 -- more bass than the AKG, nice mids and highs, well balanced.

Grado RS-2 -- not as detailed in the mids as the AKG or 880, but very smooth and liquid.

Jul 15, 2005 at 5:38 PM Post #21 of 24
My 580 mids (very similar to 600) sounded slightly laid back compared to 650. And many people said that 650 improved upon 580/600 on mids area and bass hump. So I guess what you heard is normal.

In my experience removing inner foam increased brightness but does not help with mids nor have noticable effect on bass. Hope that helps (but usually the case, confuse you even more). =)

Jul 15, 2005 at 10:47 PM Post #22 of 24
All ears are different. After replacing the pad's foams with some kind of net, I can hear an improvement in all freqs.

Bass is not bloated anymore, bass is now tighter and clearer. I can hear improvement in the mids as well, I can hear more details!. Treble is brighter but controlled. In other words, all freqs improved!!. Nice. Is like having different phones!!!.
eggosmile.gif

Jul 16, 2005 at 4:09 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
You think the HD600s are EASY to drive?
confused.gif
confused.gif

Yep - their high efficiency and moderately high impedence translates into reasonably satisfiable voltage and current demands. The headphones that are a real bear to drive are the low efficiency ones - low impedance (hp1000) for the current demands and high impedance (K340) for the voltage. The Senns probably got their rep from people trying to drive them with crappy low voltage portables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back