Sennheiser HD600/580 replacement cable comparison/impressions (Dial-up warning)
Dec 20, 2003 at 2:26 AM Post #46 of 93
Bump to ask if anyone else has comments on the Moon Audio or Zu cable since the last post on this thread. Or, do any of you previous posters have anything to add now that you have more hours on your cable? I'm still holding out for more opinions on either of these 2 new replacements.

Dec 20, 2003 at 4:50 AM Post #47 of 93
I've got around 300 hours on the HD650/Zu cable combo and I'm 100% happy with the cable. It's much better than the Cardas or the Equinox IMO. I'm not looking any farther. I highly recomend the Zu cable!

Dec 20, 2003 at 6:05 AM Post #48 of 93
Hi,

I've owned the cardas cable, and now i'm working on breaking in my zu. What i can say immediatly is I concur with Tom and tuberoller about the much better build quality, and bass increase, as well as the midrange being opened up. They sound totally different, and I am not angry about how much I spent on the ZU. Though @200 they ar pricey, excellent cable, and complement my zu cable'd computer/dac setup pretty well ; )
Highly recommended.

Dec 20, 2003 at 8:50 AM Post #49 of 93
The only thing I hate about the Zu is that it's so stiff and heavy. There seriously need to be shirt clip on this cable. Much like the Ety's. The Zu has a "collar" where one can be added. The Ety clip doen't fit, BTW.
frown.gif

Dec 22, 2003 at 10:53 PM Post #50 of 93
I've been reading this thread over and over a few times now and snapped up some impressions.

Just for starters, whats Moonaudio's hompage? (cant seem to find it)

And now to the point, how would Zu and Silver Dragon compare in sound vs. sound and price vs. price, would it be a hands down win for Zu because it's cheaper? or does the Silver Dragon beat the Zu? if so, in what aspects, as I want a cable with NICE clarity and good bass. The Zu seem to fit into the bass thing very well but how about it's clarity? does it lift the sound alot in violin symphonies and piano concerts, are the instruments that seem to 'fall behind' 'revealed' buy the cable (without having the 'perfect setup' (1 quadrillion dollar stuff)) ?

Regards, Mindless.

Dec 22, 2003 at 11:18 PM Post #51 of 93
I don't know how the Zu will sound with your gear, but in my system the sound is VERY clear,and clean.

Dec 23, 2003 at 10:15 AM Post #53 of 93
Actually they cost the same ($1 diff) Silver Dragon cost $200 and Mobius $199. My system would/will be Headsave Elite SL (with Neutric jack and some other improved stuff) out of my SB live into my HD600's. I want to get a cable now no matter if the sound gets worse or better, because I cant have big ammounts of money over long periods of time in my wallet (in my eyes refered to as : "The never endin' spendin' of money")

Regards, Mindless.

Dec 23, 2003 at 10:58 AM Post #54 of 93
First of all, just to be fair, the Mobius is (my mistake) more expensive that the Silver Dragon: for a 10' cable is $259 vs. $200.

Secondly, the mention of a SB Live as a source with your amp and cans makes me go ACK!!!! (not a reference to the ack dack
blink.gif
.) Sure, a cable upgrade could be on the same level as a source upgrade, but the saying "garbage in, garbage out," is a fact. I have gone through four sources (SB Live being the first) and have seen a very significant improvement each and every time. $200 could surely be put to better use than a cable upgrade, unless you are also planning to upgrade your source soon. I'm sure others here would agree.

Please don't take my comments as anything other than trying to help out a fellow head-fi'er.

Dec 23, 2003 at 11:11 AM Post #55 of 93
Yeah im thinking on getting a source upgrade, but I just dont have the patience to save up very much money. The SB live may make you go ACK! but it is actually really good. Anyhow, it's my wallet, I got no one to blame but myself if I make a stupid purchase
biggrin.gif

And the Mobius costs $199 (special offer, for 10ft) and the Silver Dragon $200 for 10ft)

Dec 23, 2003 at 11:59 AM Post #56 of 93
Quote:

Originally posted by Mindless
And the Mobius costs $199 (special offer, for 10ft)

I think the Mobius $199 promo price is for 8ft - see http://www.zucable.com/

Dec 23, 2003 at 3:16 PM Post #57 of 93
Quote:

The SB live may make you go ACK! but it is actually really good.

The SB Live! is simply not very good... :p
The kx-drivers (or whatever they were called) make a HUGE difference though, and it was actually these drivers that made me realize how huge the differences between digital sources can be. (In my case the source was even the same, but the new drivers improved it much more than I could ever have imagined.)

Dec 23, 2003 at 5:32 PM Post #58 of 93
Quote:

Yeah im thinking on getting a source upgrade, but I just dont have the patience to save up very much money. The SB live may make you go ACK! but it is actually really good.

I have an SB Live, and I have 3 other sound cards all with substancially higher sound quality (M-Audio Revo, SB Audigy 1, SB Audigy 2). None of these are 'good' sources. Your money will be wasted on a cable until you get a better source.

Will you notice a difference? probably. Will it be half the difference of a quality $400 cd player (music hall, nad, modded sony, etc)? not even close.

-dd3mon

Dec 24, 2003 at 4:36 AM Post #59 of 93
I agree, $200 is better off being saved towards getting a better sound card/source.
The RME digi96/8 PAD can be had for $262. You would hear a humongous difference in sound over just the headphone cable upgrade.

Source first, cables second, IMO
Of course it really is a vicious cycle. I upgraded my source, then my cables, then upgraded my source again. Now I want to upgrade my cables again....LOL

-Ed

Dec 31, 2003 at 9:48 AM Post #60 of 93
Yes, spend the money you have planned on cables for a better source. I had the SB live as a sound card before and it sounded good enough for me, until I tried a better source.

The jump in quality in changing sources (especially from a sound card to a CDP) is light years away from the improvements you would get in upgrading your cables.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back