Sennheiser HD600/580 replacement cable comparison/impressions (Dial-up warning)
Jan 24, 2004 at 1:17 AM Post #76 of 93
Before people spend fortunes on all the cables (like me) don't overlook the easiest & cheapest way to radically change sound of Senn 580/600/650............replace foam oval behind ear cushion with another material.

The ear cushion is just friction fit and easily comes out with a couple tugs allowing you to remove foam oval. The foam really dramatically muffles sound and cuts treble energy.

Two alternate materials I like are:

-finest mesh plastic screen replacement, small roll under $5 (home improvement store by screen doors, screen windows)

-black nylon stocking (womens dept)

Use the foam oval as template and cut out oval shapes with scissors and place behind ear cushions, you will hear major difference! I am using fine plastic mesh screen with Senn 600/Cardas and it sounds much better to me.
cool.gif

There have been threads about this long ago, but this may be news to some newcomers here.

Jan 24, 2004 at 3:24 PM Post #78 of 93
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Before people spend fortunes on all the cables (like me) don't overlook the easiest & cheapest way to radically change sound of Senn 580/600/650............replace foam oval behind ear cushion with another material.

The ear cushion is just friction fit and easily comes out with a couple tugs allowing you to remove foam oval. The foam really dramatically muffles sound and cuts treble energy.

Two alternate materials I like are:

-finest mesh plastic screen replacement, small roll under $5 (home improvement store by screen doors, screen windows)

-black nylon stocking (womens dept)

Use the foam oval as template and cut out oval shapes with scissors and place behind ear cushions, you will hear major difference! I am using fine plastic mesh screen with Senn 600/Cardas and it sounds much better to me.
cool.gif

There have been threads about this long ago, but this may be news to some newcomers here.

Are these foam ovals a necessary? Speakers often sound better without the foam covering the baffle. What about leaving these ovals out?

Jan 24, 2004 at 3:27 PM Post #79 of 93
I think it's there just to protect membrane from the ear wax, or mechanical protection..

Jan 24, 2004 at 3:31 PM Post #80 of 93
Quote:

Originally posted by Glassman
I think it's there just to protect membrane from the ear wax, or mechanical protection..

Yes, ofcourse, sounds logic. I didn´t think of that
cool.gif

Jan 26, 2004 at 1:18 PM Post #81 of 93
Quote:

Originally posted by Anders K.
Yes, ofcourse, sounds logic. I didn´t think of that
cool.gif

I was just playing around with these again and found the "womens stocking" oval works better than plastic screen, gives smoother overall sound so this is now in my Senns 600 replacing the foam oval. The stock foam oval "dramatically" cuts treble energy/extension and muffles sound.......if you haven't tried this tweak before you haven't heard what Senn 600/580 can do. If you agree that Senn 600 with any cable upgrade is still a bit dark sounding just replace foam oval with women's stocking oval, whole new sound.

There have been threads about this long ago, I feel this "lost art" needs to be brought up again. Right now I would have to say for me the "modified" Senn 600/Cardas is more revealing of fine detail vs new Senn 650/Zu Mobius with stock foam oval.

If I had more time I would go to fabric store and get other cloths with similar sheerness to womens stockings to try out and maybe have two or three alternatives to foam oval.........very cheap tweak to try out.
cool.gif

Jan 26, 2004 at 1:23 PM Post #82 of 93
Quote:

snip

Right now I would have to say for me the "modified" Senn 600/Cardas is more revealing of fine detail vs new Senn 650/Zu Mobius with stock foam oval.

Ah, but then the question must be asked, "How do the Senn 650's sound with your mod. and a Zu?

Jan 26, 2004 at 1:39 PM Post #83 of 93
Quote:

Originally posted by Jazz1
Ah, but then the question must be asked, "How do the Senn 650's sound with your mod. and a Zu?

I will eventually have to try that out myself..........but I suspect "stocking" will pass too much treble energy and become bright sounding since the Senn 650/Zu already has more treble energy vs Senn 600/Cardas when both use foam oval. Will have to find some different material to use with Senn 650/Zu or just leave as is, it really sounds dam good with no tweaking.

This tweak just gives you a tool to adjust treble energy/detail to your own personal tastes with Senn 600/580.

Jan 26, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #84 of 93
Quote:

I will eventually have to try that out myself..........but I suspect "stocking" will pass too much treble energy and become bright sounding since the Senn 650/Zu already has more treble energy vs Senn 600/Cardas when both use foam oval. Will have to find some different material to use with Senn 650/Zu or just leave as is, it really sounds dam good with no tweaking.

This tweak just gives you a tool to adjust treble energy/detail to your own personal tastes with Senn 600/580.

Well at least now we can have an alibi when ours spouses find a black stocking in the car
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 8, 2004 at 3:12 PM Post #87 of 93
I ripped the foam when I took it out and have had the 600s "nude" for the past 8 months. Sounds okay to me. However, when I tried the 650s at Hirsch's meet a few weeks ago, I could definitely tell the difference.

Highs were a little sparklier and the presentation was a bit more forward than my nude 600s. I liked what I heard, I think. Still, it wasn't enough for me to shell out the big bucks for the 650s, at least not yet. Also, I'll be getting the Oehlbach this week. Impressions to follow on that one.

Feb 11, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #90 of 93
Great review, by the way. I am excited to hear the kind of difference it makes with my hd600's. But the prices are too much for me. Would anyone like to sell one (any type) of these cables? In particular the Equinox, Zu, or Silver or Blue Dragon, but any of them would be a big improvement. you can email me at rhythmdevils@yahoo.com

I had another seperate question. How do all think these top of the line sennheisers compare with the grado rs series?
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back