Sennheiser hd598
Sep 19, 2010 at 1:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29
I am really excited for this headphone, based on the review of it, it's supposed to really cut out the mid veil that sennheiser is so famous for. This has been the only reason I have been reluctant to purchase a senn headphone (I already have a headphone where the mids are slightly recessed).

Anyone else excited about this great looking headphone, I most certainly will be getting one
smily_headphones1.gif
What do you guys think?

-A R

Sep 19, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 29
I'll be buying the HD558 ASAP. The HD598 is too expensive for me, besides having a look that is very "pimpin'" and wouldn't really suit me.

As for the sound, I'm also excited about these two Senns with the forward mids and all. I have the HD448 and the PX200-II, both with detailed, energetic and forward midrange. I've never heard the Sennheiser veil (maybe in the HD238), but I'm pretty sure they gave it up recently.

Sep 19, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 29
I don't know, the one review out there says that these really improve the mids over the original 555 and 595, supposedly removing the "Sennheiser veil"

-A R

Sep 19, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #8 of 29
the HD595 as it is doesn't have that veil in comparison to the HD650/600.    anyway..these are sure beautiful cans, but if they sound the same as the 595 it is a pure waste of money imo (to pay the extra for them instead of the 595).  i am willing to pay for the sound..not the looks.

Sep 19, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #9 of 29
The reviews I've read (and I'm hunting them down daily) indicate that these are somewhat different than the HD5X5 series, with a bigger soundstage and a more fun and engaging sound - bigger bass and better mids. Personally, I've loved the looks of the HD555 from the day I've set eyes upon them. A black version with better sound - warmish, fun, with a good soundstage - is a dream come true.

Sep 28, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #10 of 29
This is a quote from another thread on this forum. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/508044/sennheiser-s-new-hd598-hd558-to-be-announced-at-the-ifa2010/60

Quote:
Uuups...is it really me to post the 1st impression?
blink.gif

Here we go...the context is that I am known to be a hardcore HD555/595 hater, I can't stand these deadheads. But IMO these new babies are much better actually, they provide a more precise and more snappy bass, and being brighter, they consequently have much less "Senn veil". Similar to the HD800, they have intruded a bit in the AKG territory, their tonality is a bit like the old K401, but with a bit more bass. Mids presentation was okay, maybe a slight nasal coloration in the upper registers, but nothing serious. Detailling was actually also quite good for a HP of that class. What I liked best was the increased musicality and genre bandwidth, the old models were pop and classical only IMO.

The differences between the HD598 and the 558 weren't very great, and I assume that resulted partly only from different pressure of the headbands. The HD598 had less clamp and was a bit airier, with a wider soundstage, and the 558 was a bit more "in the face". I also had the impression that the 598 sounded a bit warmer and more refined (a bit less of that mentioned coloration), but maybe that was just a placebo caused by headband and soundstaging. If the 598 will be sold at a much higher price tag, I'd recommend the 558, maybe with a bit tinkering at the headband if a relaxter sound is desired.
wink.gif

To sum it up, if that is the new Senn house sound, that is fine for me personally. Don't know about you north americans though, as you loved "your" Senn veil so much in the recent years...

Dec 14, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #14 of 29
Ordered a HD598 on http://www.bax-shop.nl for 185 EUR incl. Shipping.
Will use it with Ipad ios 4.2 >> usb camera adaptor >> UDAC 2 >> HD598 in my bedroom.

Should not require an amp but will report back on the result xof this rig.

Cheers

Dec 14, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #15 of 29
Man, if I was in the market for an open can right now I'd get myself a pair of these.

Real beauties, and I'm curious to read reviews from head-fiers on the supposedly different sound signature!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back