Sennheiser HD595 Impressions Thread
Aug 23, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #948 of 980
I've recently bought four well regarded headphones, all used and in excellent condition.  They are Sennheiser HD 280, Grado SR 80i, Sony V-6, and -- the latest to arrive today -- Sennheiser HD 595.  Cost ranged from $50 for the HD 280 (via Craigslist) to $100 including shipping for the HD 595.  I'm not a professional, but a general music enthusiast, with interests ranging from classical through jazz, with detours to jazz-related pop such as Steely Dan. 

Any of these headphones would be great on its own.  However, after A-B tests of each against each other shows a true winner, and it's the Sennheiser HD 595.  The least worthy contender was the Sennheiser HD 280, it simply feels too enclosed compared to the large soundscape of the others.  The Grados and the Sonys are very similar, although the former is open and the latter is closed.  Nevertheless, the soundstages seem equally wide. Highs and lows are punchy and crisp.  But that comes with a liability, which is that I notice the highs and lows a lot.  They sound like an image the sound engineer would hear as he did mixing.  In contrast, the Sennheiser HD 595 sounds like what a sound engineer would endeavor to achieve -- no emphasized highs or lows, just the instruments playing accurately without accentuation.

Having listened to the others for many hours, I find myself not even realizing there are alternatives to the HD 595,  They sound so natural, and are far more comfortable that the others, that it doesn't even occur to me that I'm not listening to music as it was intended to be,

I procured these Hd 595s on E-Bay.  They were portrayed as like new, and they seem to be, coming with full original packaging and even the hanger.  I have no idea if they have been broken in.  The cord seems never to have been unfurled.  Since they sound more natural than any of the others -- and all the others are highly regarded -- I feel as if these the ones I would want to have on a desert island (with electricity to recharge my music source) more than any of the others.  This doesn't mean that the Grados and Sonys are not exciting -- they are.  But, on balance, neither can touch the HD 595s for a sense of naturalness, musicality, and fullness.  

I realize it makes more sense to audition headphones prior to purchasing but, even in a big city, there is hardly anywhere to go to do this.  At this point, I've invested a bit over $250.  I now have four excellent sets of headphones for less than a new set of HD 595s would cost on Amazon.  Given my love of these, what would you recommend as a next step up?   

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #949 of 980
The HD595 was my first "serious" headphone and I still own it. I listened to it for a few years before feeling like I wanted an upgrade. Other, technically better headphones that I listened to afterwards lasted far less time on my head. The HD59X series just has a very pleasant, balanced and inoffensive sound coupled with a fairly wide soundstage. I liked the mids in particular, despite them sounding grainy and lacking in clarity by the standards of the headphones I own now.

You could try the HD598 next, for minor improvements to soundstage depth, bass and mids. The HD600 would be a good upgrade to consider too, although their tonal balance is slightly different, they are still close to neutral and they are more refined across the board with better clarity and instrument timbre. They don't offer any improvement in sound stage width however and they are a bit less comfortable.

Down the line, you could try the much pricier HE-500. If you can stand the added weight (and the price) they offer a far more realistic listening experience in all regards while sounding "like what a sound engineer would endeavor to achieve -- no emphasized highs or lows, just the instruments playing accurately without accentuation." A very natural and full-bodied headphone.

Aug 23, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #950 of 980
Quote:
Having listened to the others for many hours, I find myself not even realizing there are alternatives to the HD 595,  They sound so natural, and are far more comfortable that the others, that it doesn't even occur to me that I'm not listening to music as it was intended to be,

Your ears aren't fooling you. The 595 is one of the most neutral headphones ever made. I still have a pair, despite also having HE-500 and DT880. They lack a little sparkle and deep bass but that's about the worst you could say of them. They get the basics right, in a way few other headphones ever have, even premium models. Ultimately that's what's important, more than ultimate bass and treble extension. 

Aug 24, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #951 of 980
Thanks for your observations. 

Now that I've had several more days to sample and compare, my opinion is pretty much the same.  Although most of my listening has been via my phone and Pandora, I'm still most comfortable with the Senn 585s.  The Grado 80is and Sony V6s are both more exciting than the Senns, but one has encountered a passage it couldn't handle and the other feels insubstantial on my head. 

The Sonys distorted badly in a piano passage; my immediate thought was: I've found the Achilles heal to the Senn 595s, since I listen to them most often -- until I realized it was the Sonys.  The Grados continue to be excellent, with pretty much the same sound as the Sonys, with very crisp highs and lows and better instrument separation than any of the others (and no conspicuous distortion to date), but the highs still feel sharp to the point that I want to reduce the volume and they feel artificial on my head.  I know some have changed the pads, and that could make a difference. But I think there is also value in keeping them in "stock" condition for purposes of resale. 

Thanks for the words of assurance that I am not alone in loving the 595s.  I just hope they don't develop cracks.  As for upgrading, I don't yet see the need. 

Aug 25, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #952 of 980
I have heard from several places that if you do send your HD595 back to Sennheiser due to cracks they will send you back a replacement HD598.

Sep 1, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #954 of 980
I got a used set of HD595s recently and after thinking for years that the HD555s were wonderful I found the HD595 even more so. Their soundstage is not as open as the HD555 but the midrange and bass are improved (and I don't mean more or extra colouration). How does the HD598 compare with the HD595 ?

Sep 28, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #955 of 980
I've owned the HD595 for years now and use them primarily as my office HP's.  Light and comfortable, love the mids. 

I've kept all my HP's over the years and this is one of my favorites.

Recently was looking at some other HP's and ran across prices on Amazon for new HD595's, how about $495 and above.  Used ones are more than what I paid for mine when they were new.   

I guess quality HP's appreciate in value.

Oct 29, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #956 of 980
Anybody looking to correct the curve of the 595's to make them breathe a little better, try this Eq, you may be amazed at the difference :

74hz, +1.9db, Q = 0.33
5716hz, +5db, Q = 1.07
7096hz, -3.1db, Q = 2.5
10116hz, -2.4db, Q = 3.01
12735, +6.7db, Q = 2.69     <---- Try with or without this frequency change, it makes the treble slightly sparkly, without it the sound is less Bright. 

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #957 of 980
Hi guys,

I had a pair of HD595's a few years back, and loved them. ( Cable brpke ) Can anyone recommend Sennheiser's similar to the 595's ?
I have a pair of HD380's, but find them too bass heavy, and not as comfortable as the 595's. Any feedback / recommendations, much appreciated.

Jan 8, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #960 of 980

Thank you for your reply. Something with the same sound signature, or as near as possible to them ?

( I just had a brief look at the 598's on Amazon. Wondered if these are similar, or even better ! ? )

The replacement cable for the 595 is $20 I think on amazon. I've never heard the 598 but I don't think they are too different. The hd600 and hd650 will be very different. If you wanna make a jump, i'd recommend the hifiman he400. These can be gotten about $300 used. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back