Sennheiser HD595 Impressions Thread
Dec 31, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #781 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerd123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope more burn-in will really transform them

Actually it will be the other way around - HD595 will transform your perception of quality sound. The cheap phones are like the LCD's in “store” mode - they are tuned to impress immediately but not for long. Once you bring them home and watch them for a little while you begin to understand that they are unbearably bright, contrasty to a point that both shadow and highlight detail are gone and the faces are oversaturated and unnatural. Similarly, after you listen to your HD595 for a little while, you will begin to understand that you Sony's have muffled highs, boomy bass, congested stage and a very low definition overall.

I am talking from my own experience with almost the same hardware you have, so be patient and you will realise that the price you paid for HD595 were money well spent (and unfortunately – hardly the last).

Jan 1, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #782 of 980
The TV picture analogy is a good one. Everything is over-saturated with the phones you're used to. There are people who watch TV all day with the brightness and colour turned almost to max and think this is the way it should look, because that's how it's always looked. Once you get used to neutral and natural, you can never go back, but it's a process of educating yourself, and you have to be patient. The 595s are very natural and neutral. They don't boost any part of the frequency range (well, maybe the treble just a teensy-weensy bit). If you perservere and don't return them in a panic, you'll have years of happy listening ahead.

Jan 1, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #783 of 980
The TV analogy IS a good one and it applies perfectly to the Dre's. Like I just told my friends in another forum, the Dre's sound GREAT in the apple store.... for about five minutes (or less). Then you realize how much they actually suck. The sound is so colored, over basses and under midded, etc. They are not true to their source, at all. The 595's will not have that shocking/impressive effect that the Dre's do. But as pp312(?) said, they are neutral and natural. If you are not used to good headphones, your ears need to be trained to be more sensitive, and this will naturally happen. Stick with them and you won't be disappointed.

If you need quicker satisfaction and you can afford it, pick up a Total Bithead or even a little cheap cmoy. Then you will hear their potential sooner. And as I mentioned earlier, these headphones just keep getting better with age. Mine are 5+ years old and last year we had a little sit down with my friends, and HF-1's, AKG 701's, and the 595's. They all liked the 595's the best.... every one of them. (I was actually expecting they would pick the HF-1's!).

Jan 10, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #784 of 980
I've just bought a pair of HD-595's and waiting for delivery...cannot wait! They're my first cans so not sure what to expect. Although after reading this thread I'm incredibly excited
dt880smile.png

Question, I own an Audiolab 8000S old style from the 90's and would like to know if it's a decent enough amp for these phones. I heard someone state they own a 8000A and that it sounded nice. I'm hoping I don't need an upgrade.

Jan 10, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #785 of 980
I thini it should sound fine mate. My 595's sound good through my amp and it's only a Rotel RA-01. Remember they won't be at their best until there's a good few hours on them but they'll only keep getting better. Enjoy.

Jan 10, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #787 of 980
I'm thinking about getting these. How do you guys respond to people who say these aren't for rock?

I'm looking for a huge immersive sound that's clear at the same time. Like listening to big speakers in a cozy room, think these would fit the bill?

Jan 10, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #788 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by lakitu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question, I own an Audiolab 8000S old style from the 90's and would like to know if it's a decent enough amp for these phones. I heard someone state they own a 8000A and that it sounded nice. I'm hoping I don't need an upgrade.

So long as the amp is of decent design, and yours certainly is, it will not be a factor in your enjoyment of the 595. Fret not.

Jan 12, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #789 of 980
Well I finished Uni early today to make sure I was home for the postman, and boy am I glad I did, he arrived shortly after I did. I should say these are my first set of headphones and after doing extensive research decided upon these.

I have them hooked up to my Auidolab 8000S for extra goodness and first impressions have blown me away. They feel so open and airy and I find myself picking up on much more ala Stranger in Moscow – Michael Jackson and I’m actually enjoying songs I wasn’t especially fond of like Stevie Wonders Superstition, but who can fail to enjoy the percussion with these cans.

Now I’ve got to get back to my CD collection, so much to hear.

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #790 of 980
Quote:

Well I finished Uni early today to make sure I was home for the postman, and boy am I glad I did, he arrived shortly after I did.

Did you give him a big kiss.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I have them hooked up to my Auidolab 8000S for extra goodness and first impressions have blown me away. They feel so open and airy and I find myself picking up on much more ala Stranger in Moscow – Michael Jackson and I’m actually enjoying songs I wasn’t especially fond of like Stevie Wonders Superstition, but who can fail to enjoy the percussion with these cans.

I'm as enthusiastic about their sound as you, but unfortunately others are less impressed, and you'll see a lot of 595 bashing in this forum. Studiously ignore it, is my advice. I don't understand it, and after reading it for many years, I've lost interest in the reason for it. The 595 is a great can.

Jan 12, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #791 of 980
I have been a huge fan of the 595 ever since I bought mine over a year ago. The bang for your buck here is off the chart. If you can pick these up in the $175-ish range, you are getting a pair of headphones that can compete with more expensive cans, and don't need a huge amount of power to sound good.

That being said, these sound much better with an amp. The bass is much more defined, and the highs sound great without being overbearing or shrill. I have never regretted buying the HD-595, and recommend them to anyone who has any interest in headphones.

Jan 15, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #793 of 980
Just ended up taking a pair off of a fellow head-fier, and I'm pretty excited to get them! My first 'real' set of headphones if you will, my last pair was a razer headset I used to use when I played warcraft, and to me those sounded good, so to think that a pair of really bad headphones sounded good to me, I'm really stoked to see how the 595s sound. I was wondering if anybody could recommend a couple amps in the $120 range? It would be greatly appreciated!

Think this is my first post as well? so, hey!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #794 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking about getting these. How do you guys respond to people who say these aren't for rock?

I'm looking for a huge immersive sound that's clear at the same time. Like listening to big speakers in a cozy room, think these would fit the bill?

I think they are great for everything. Including rock, classical, jazz, etc.
Don't be fooled by those who only bash the HD595. Tastes vary a lot, and of course there are other great headphones, but these are excellent, no matter what people say about them.
You can't go wrong with them.
wink.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #795 of 980
God, after 45 days waiting my 595s have arrived by mail (Brazil is not that far away but the post office here sucks :p). I'm at work right now, dying to get home and listen to these cans! I wanted to order an iBasso D4 Mamba to pair with them but they got out of stock
frown.gif

I'll hook them to my PC with Realtek onboard audio and to my Sansa Clip+. Clip has a great sound quality and FLAC support, but I don't know if they got enough juice to drive the 595. Man I want a amp now! AND I want it FAST! AND I wanted to burn in them a bit before using but that is absolutely impossible based on my level of anxiety
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back