Sennheiser HD595 Impressions Thread
Jan 23, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #721 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperYank /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think (maybe) I've decided to pull the trigger on the HD 595's over the 555's. If I get the 555's I'll probable always be thinking that I should have gotten the 595's instead for $70 more ($100 vs $170 for the 595's). From what I've read there seems to be an even split over weather the sound difference between the two is worth the extra money. So I'm either out the $70 if it's not worth the difference or $170 if it is and I eventually pick up the 595's. Does this make any sense
confused_face(1).gif

The HD595 is basically a well-burned in HD555, IMO. As many others have said, the HD600 is a better choice, as is the HD555 if you're not willing to spend up to the HD600's price point.

Jan 23, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #722 of 980
The HD 600 is out of my price range (plus my wife would kill me) so I can't even consider that one. Thanks for your input "lucky". You obviously fall on the side of the 555 being a better value. I guess no one is just going to say that the 595 is hands down the better set of cans and well worth the extra price. Is there?

Apr 12, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #723 of 980
I love my 595's. I really feel that they get better with age, mine are four years old now and never disappoint me. They are well built and have withstood a lot of stress.

Apr 13, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #724 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by Svperstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my 595s, everything sounds great, from bass heavy techno, to laid back matthew florianz ambient.

Have the SA5000s in the mail right now though, curious what Sony has to offer.

I agree. Although they don't have the best bass they have great detail for techno music.
L3000.gif

Apr 19, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #725 of 980
Like I said, the HD595's keep getting better and better with age. When you first get new 'phones you are listening so hard for the sound signature etc. you miss out on a lot I think. Use them for a long time, then you see how comfortable they are (the MOST comfortable) and how they don't create fatigue. Very detailed and spacious. Keep coming back to them, and you learn to appreciate them more. I am very surprised so many people are selling them and looking to upgrade. You would have to pry mine out of my cold dead hands, and I have HF1's and Atrios and various other good 'phones. My HD595's are very special and perfect in their own way.

When I was first researching which phones to get, for hours and DAYS and days, a lot of people mentioned that the 595's are the brightest of the sennheisers and lack the reputed 'veil' of the others, particularly in the HD series. They have a unique sound signature and I think to compare them to the 600's and the 650's ( I have only heard the 600's) is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. And remember, they shine with much less amplification than others in the HD<600 series require.

Apr 19, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #726 of 980
MY 595's arrived the other day but my wife has hidden they away somewhere until my birthday in two weeks. Pleas to make sure they were working and for a chance to burn them in fell on deaf ears!

Anyway, I am well stoked with them having auditioned them at a shop straight from my ipod nano and finding them pretty bloody sweet.

I will be looking to expand my set up in the future and have been trying to determine which is the best mains powered amp out there to improve the sound of the 595's. I even read this thread in its entirety which took up the better part of a night and I am still no clearer.

So, what amp brings out the best in the 595?

Apr 19, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #727 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by subseasniper /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So, what amp brings out the best in the 595?

tubes. The LD amps are pretty good and fairly cheap. A step up (a big step) without too much more $$ would be DIY, the Millet MiniMax is a great amp if you can build it yourself costs will stay low.

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #728 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD595 is basically a well-burned in HD555, IMO. As many others have said, the HD600 is a better choice, as is the HD555 if you're not willing to spend up to the HD600's price point.

I dont' want to hijack this thread but just mentioning, a few Head-Fiers have claimed the HD555 and HD595 are the same headphones. Just remove the foam behind the drivers in the HD555 and you got a HD595.

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #729 of 980
a little more hijacking from someone thats owned and loved both the 555 and 595. I actually like the 555s a little more because there is less of an upper mids peak than the 595s. The 595s have better bass though and are slightly less grainy.

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #730 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont' want to hijack this thread but just mentioning, a few Head-Fiers have claimed the HD555 and HD595 are the same headphones. Just remove the foam behind the drivers in the HD555 and you got a HD595.

I haven't tried that, but I'd venture to say there's a bit more to it than that.

Apr 19, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #731 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tubes. The LD amps are pretty good and fairly cheap. A step up (a big step) without too much more $$ would be DIY, the Millet MiniMax is a great amp if you can build it yourself costs will stay low.

Yo, thanks for that. I would love to have the time to build a DIY amp but can't see it happening with screaming kids running around the house.

What amps are available in the UK that can do the trick? We seem pretty limited in our selection so I want to make sure I buy the right one. It would be heartbreaking to spend a couple of hundred pounds on an amp that detracts from the 595's performance.

I am planning to use an old ipod I have loaded with lossless tracks, I intend to get a line out cable or dock and then amp that signal with the intention of making the most of the 595's. From what I have read they are phones that grow with you, I just need to decide on an amp now and I am set.

Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

May 15, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #733 of 980
Just got a pair of 595s and I am absolutely loving these cans!

Very versatile, with a beautiful open, airy sound. Warm, solid, detailed bass (used with an LD MKIII), and creamy, creamy guitar tones.

Love it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back