Sennheiser HD595 Impressions Thread
Feb 9, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #541 of 980
I've just got my 595s!! I have just listened to The Dark Side of The Moon on them and am now onto The Joshua Tree. All I can tell at the moment is that they are much more airy than my old HD 445s. They are also very comfortable, but my ears are getting quite warm!!

There does not seem to be much bass at the moment, just crystal clear treble. Lots of burning in and listening to do...

Feb 11, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #542 of 980
I've had mine for about a year now. I bought them based on reports of being very balanced and suitable for many kinds of music. Hearing them in a Hi-Fi store, I was immediately swept by what must by Sennheiser's signature 'speaker-like' sound. I found the same effect on the 555's, but thought I may as well pay the extra and have a more refined one for amping.

I love them, they have a great mix of clarity and bass, with a very pleasing musicality, which makes them so enjoyable. My only other dynamic cans are AKG 240s, which have no-where near the clarity, but their comparative 'roughness', bass impact and a wider sound-stage makes them better for action movies or grungy-sounding rock music. For anything else, though, I am wearing the HD 595s, which also amaze listening friends, who have often only ever tried really low-end headphones and are surprised at what is possible, even at this 'mid' level.

I always listen to them amped now. It's true that in terms of volume they can go unamped (I have the newer 50ohms version), but the sound is thin and the bass is pretty flabby by comparison. I'd rather just listen to my inner-ear buds this way. With the amping, they tighten up and sound a lot more satisfying. Still, they sound good unamped and that's one reason I got them, as I wanted something that could be used in all kinds of situations. Based on earlier comments, I'd say it is very possible that the 555's are actually better unamped- at least in the store they sounded satisfying enough. The question is- would you really want both? The bass is a little light for movies, so I listen to them with my sub-woffer on, which works really well, turning them into a pair of high-class satellite speakers right on my ears!

Next stop- the HD 600 for classical symphonies, which sound a little too close on the 595's. My conclusion now is that they are a great phone, but despite being a good all-rounder, there will always be phones that excel in certain areas more.

Feb 11, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #543 of 980
jsut bought some today, hopefully theyre good for my music tastes (rock / reggae)

Mar 3, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #544 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by sectoRR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jsut bought some today, hopefully theyre good for my music tastes (rock / reggae)

ditto, I'll be back to give a review

Mar 7, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #545 of 980
I am drifting from pure portable (ipod nano>e4c) to something a bit more permanent, and just bought a pair of these on rec from a friend who warned me "its a long way down from here." Joined head-fi to make some friends along the way (down). I am eager to burn these in and post a review.

Mar 7, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #547 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
parhelictriangle, you summarized the HD595 very well!

I'm facing a 'mirror image' problem -- I've had a hard time trying to forget the pleasures of my HD595...
tongue.gif
So I hope I'll manage to buy a new one...

I'm in the same boat. After selling my 595s in favour of 650s about six months ago I was suddenly seized with the conviction just tonight that I used to enjoy music much more through the 595s (whatever posters here may say about the relative merits of the two). So I just got online and ordered a new pair, and will be doing some careful comparison when they arrive. This flip-flopping has happened before, mainly because I take too much notice of other people's opinions on forums like this. But this time my ears will decide and the decision will be final!!

(I think)
tongue.gif

Mar 7, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #548 of 980
Well crap.

Some early observations:
I can no longer listen to any of my digital music at less than 192k since it all sounds crackly and boo;
I am getting goosebumps hearing old favorites on such a broader stage;
I have been smiling since I broke open the case (it has a cardboard lock built into it! for no reason but to remind me it was master engineered by anal german geniuses!!) and started burning, my lady is starting to get suspicious...;
only neg right now is that things are just a little fuzzier than my e4c probably on account of the fact that they aren't settled yet, and the e4c's were ridiculously precise.

I will gush more once I finish a weekend of not taking or turning them off, and have more complete thoughts (and then I will gush even more once I get a suitable amp/dac).

Mar 8, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #549 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by (gregor) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been smiling since I broke open the case (it has a cardboard lock built into it! for no reason but to remind me it was master engineered by anal german geniuses!!)

Do you think this might be a covert I.Q. test? I got frustrated and ended up ripping part of the box before I noticed the opening instructions. Not that I would have read them anyway...
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #550 of 980
My son had some Beyer DT770's for Christmas. They sounded great on my Onkyo CR-715DAB - even straight out of the box. I know many radio studios use these and some say the sound can be a bit harsh over time. I decided to get Senn 595's instead. Similar price (I paid £77 from Amazon) but more home friendly.

Oh dear, oh dear. The 595's sound totally dreadful. Really aweful. The bass is overblown and uncomfortable and the high notes, so clear and preceise in the 770's are muffled and indestinct.

I do so hope they will improve when burnt in. Otherwise I have wasted my cash. Can anyone offer words of comfort?
confused.gif

Mar 12, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #551 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by BadgerBloke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My son had some Beyer DT770's for Christmas. They sounded great on my Onkyo CR-715DAB - even straight out of the box. I know many radio studios use these and some say the sound can be a bit harsh over time. I decided to get Senn 595's instead. Similar price (I paid £77 from Amazon) but more home friendly.

Oh dear, oh dear. The 595's sound totally dreadful. Really aweful. The bass is overblown and uncomfortable and the high notes, so clear and preceise in the 770's are muffled and indestinct.

I do so hope they will improve when burnt in. Otherwise I have wasted my cash. Can anyone offer words of comfort?
confused.gif

Burn them in for about 100 hours or so before making a final judgment.

Mar 13, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #553 of 980
Desmand, if "is like hell" is your way of asking if they sound bad without an amp, no. I'm new here and just picked up a pair of 595's (coming off of 497's originally, then ety er-4p's) and they sound pretty darn decent straight off my iMac's headphone jack. Of course, I'd imagine that an amp will improve their sound (as others have said earlier in the thread.)

Mar 13, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #554 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by desmand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone, I'm new here.
Just curious, is HD595 without an amp is like hell?
One of the forumer told me that, coz i'm going to get this headphone soon...

Whoever told you this probably didn't have their 595's burned in properly. That being said, "...is like hell," is taking it a tad too far. They sound fine right out of the headphone jack of my iPod. With an amp things just kinda clear up.

Cheers

Mar 13, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #555 of 980
HD595s are one of the better sounding headphones without an amp. But you if you like bass then you REALLY need an amp because they seriously lack bass quantity (not quality) with no amp. And this is coming from a person who isn't a basshead at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back