Sennheiser HD595 Impressions Thread
May 30, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #661 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado makes a very nice mini-1/4" adapter that runs about $15. I know ttvj sells them, and your local Grado dealer might have a couple in stock.

The 880's Need an amp to sound their best, both the HD595's and Sr225's while sound best amped, do not require an amp to sound good. They are however, very different beasts. In my opinion the Hd595's are much better all-around headphones.

Amping your Hd595's will give them a bit more umph in the lower frequencies. They sound particularly well with a nice tube amp. A cable upgrade is not out of line either and can really complete them
smily_headphones1.gif

indeed. they seem to be a great all-around headphone that can be upgraded later. i am slightly averse to a tube amp because, besides supplying needed power, they color the sound. to me, that seems pointless. I trust the people at sennheiser
biggrin.gif
. later on i will probably get a decent amp and upgrade the cable though
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2008 at 12:26 PM Post #662 of 980
I had a quick blast with my 595 the other night after using w5000 and 701's before it. Maybe not in the same league as the latter two but suprisingly good, i really enjoyed them. The music was very well recorded rock/pop, which helped alot, and they did a great job. Have done over 100 hours on them now, and i think these phones deserve a bit more credit, I'll never sell them. Great for the price.

Jun 8, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #663 of 980
Quick question:
I've come across the 595 SE which is the red/purple version. Are there any other differences except for the colour?
Have tried to get answers to this on a few occasions but haven't really had any replies to it.

Also I have heard that 555's are the better choice unamped, however others say both don't really need an amp :x

Jun 8, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #665 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no the Special Red edition HD595 is the same just different color. I can't recall if they are 120ohm like the older HD595's or 50 like the new ones.

I've been looking for a pair...

I believe they are 50ohm.

Jun 16, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #666 of 980
I have been reading through some older entries about recabling (as I knot my fingers debating the cost:effect ratio) and I just realized that I have been wearing my headphones for at least 30 minutes with no music since the album ended. Ha! They are so comfortable I didn't even notice! I was just zoning and reading while my ears purred to themselves. I suppose I will go do something 'productive' as I debate spending more money...

Jun 17, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #667 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by (gregor) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been reading through some older entries about recabling (as I knot my fingers debating the cost:effect ratio) and I just realized that I have been wearing my headphones for at least 30 minutes with no music since the album ended. Ha! They are so comfortable I didn't even notice! I was just zoning and reading while my ears purred to themselves. I suppose I will go do something 'productive' as I debate spending more money...

HAH! Don't be a *****!! Do it! Do it! Do it!
tongue.gif

As you may be aware (by reading older posts) I did it and nothing bad happened. :p You have nothing to lose... and if you screw the cable... oh well now you have an excuse to order a cardas replacement cable from soloz audio and improve the phones
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #668 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by zaero69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HAH! Don't be a *****!! Do it! Do it! Do it!
tongue.gif

As you may be aware (by reading older posts) I did it and nothing bad happened. :p You have nothing to lose... and if you screw the cable... oh well now you have an excuse to order a cardas replacement cable from soloz audio and improve the phones
biggrin.gif

You may have outdone yourself zaero! You have successfully done both of the following: 1) called me out for my indecisiveness (and possibly my manhood?), and 2) credited yourself as one of the posters I read to contribute to my current state of confusion.

I am quite certain that I will shorten and reterminate my stock cable, but the real question buzzing in my brain (as it must do often to us 595 lovers, judging the frequency with which debate recurs...) is whether I rest with a shorter cable + 1/8 jack, or pony up and get me some delicious cardas copper. I know what soloz2 would say
wink.gif
and at the moment I am inclined to just go for it. I was flirting with getting another pair of cans (maybe some hd25-1's) for more portable use, but after missing the mark on a few recent sales and rethinking my current needs, I am settling into the idea of some cable upgrade action.

Jun 17, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #669 of 980
Sorry if it has been dealt before, but is there any difference in SQ comparing the older 120 ohm HD 595 to the new 50 ohm version ? AFAIK the 120 ohm version has been manufactured in Ireland, and the 50 ohm HD 595s are made in China
redface.gif

Jun 19, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #670 of 980
Somewhere near the start of the second third of this thread there is discussion, and I think it is discussed elsewhere, but from what I recall, the general consensus was that they were a little heavier with bass, and a little more veiled (though not by much). Some where in the last third of the thread there is brief discussion (by myself and others) regarding the effect of adding 75-100 ohms to the line and if that affects the sound with the 50 ohm version. Some have experience with that, but from talking with them it has the same effect (heavier bass, but moved back a few rows).

As for build quality, I can't speak to the 120 version, but my apparently China-cans have been glorious so far.

The thing that I have not found out in any of my perusing (and maybe someone who knows conclusively can speak up) is whether the drivers actually changed from the 120 ohm to the 50 ohm version.

Jul 23, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #671 of 980
Hello.

I'm not an owner of Senns HD595 yet, but before buy I wanted to ask you about amp. I read some pages of the topic, and so far there are mixed opinions about whether an amp is needed, or not. I'm not able to plug this headphones directly to the soundcard (EMU 0404 PCI) therefore I must use an amp (oh, at least I think so
smily_headphones1.gif
). So, is it worth to buy a headphone amplifier or there will be no difference if I buy a normal stereo amplifier for about the same price (~150$), so I can plug my speakers to it, too?

Secondly, I wanted to ask you about using HD595 as a studio headphones. I'm not a professional, not even a skilled amateur
biggrin.gif
, so I don't expect them to be superb at it. I just want to know, if these headphones are as good as some cheaper studio ones.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 24, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #672 of 980
I don't know if its been discussed elsewhere in this thread but I recently got the Soloz Audio 5 ft Cardas cable upgrade for my 595's and it did wonders for them....i dont want to sound like a shill for soloz but he has a unique product on his hands and if any of you are interested in making your 595's even better it is well worth the $85 bucks ($65 for the value cable)...after the recable the bass is deeper and tighter with less mush all around, air around instruments seems better and generally it made the existing qualities of the 595's nicer (forward presentation, holographic imaging, etc all enhanced)...in fact i also own sony sa5000's but after the recable i listen to the recabled 595's almost exclusively...cheers

Jul 24, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #673 of 980
How much are HD595 selling for these days?

Jul 24, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #674 of 980
it depends...anywhere from $170-250...try a reputable seller on eBay and snag some free shipping if available...amazon sometimes also has a good price with f/s....and then there is also used---just about every week there is a pair up for sale right on these boards for about $120 shipped

Jul 25, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #675 of 980
fyi regarding soloz 595 cable upgrade...optimally it takes about 200 hours for the best results----better & tighter bass comes into focus and highs calm down...soundtage seems to be less narrow than stock too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back