Sennheiser HD595 Impressions Thread
Jan 1, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #31 of 980
The Go-Vibe is the amp I'm currently considering adding to my setup. However, I've read that the particular op-amp you recommend (AD8397) sucks up battery life pretty quickly? Just how much does it cut the battery life?

Jan 1, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #32 of 980
Eh, that's not unfounded -- the AD8397 draws about 22 mA at idle, whereas other lower power op-amps draw 7-10 mA. So I guess you should expect about half of the battery life, although it's to be considered that this particular op-amp can run well with as low as 3V ...

But the Go-Vibe 4 has a DC jack, so this wouldn't be much of a problem -- unless truly portable is your thing, naturally.

Anyhow, the AD8397 would be ideal for a fairly low impedance (though efficient) headphone like the HD595.

Jan 1, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #34 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Eh, that's not unfounded -- the AD8397 draws about 22 mA at idle, whereas other lower power op-amps draw 7-10 mA. So I guess you should expect about half of the battery life, although it's to be considered that this particular op-amp can run well with as low as 3V ...

But the Go-Vibe 4 has a DC jack, so this wouldn't be much of a problem -- unless truly portable is your thing, naturally.

Anyhow, the AD8397 would be ideal for a fairly low impedance (though efficient) headphone like the HD595.

Thanks for the info. The Go-Vibe with AD8397 is definitely looking appealing right now.

Oh man, it's happening. I'm being sucked in. I just ordered UM1's and I'm already thinking about spending almost another $100 on the Go-Vibe. What a wonderful place this is...
tongue.gif

Jan 1, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #35 of 980
SV500290.JPG

SV500291.JPG

mmm HD-595's and a Go-Vibe
basshead.gif

Jan 1, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #36 of 980
Yeah, the 595s are really golden. It hits that price/performance sweet-spot for all-round use really well
smily_headphones1.gif
580smile.gif

Jan 1, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #37 of 980
Ditch that soundcard... Audigy 2 has ****** channel separation imo...not even the A2 ZS is very hi-fi. If you want gamer-soundcard the SB X-fi is the one that will give you real hi-fi sound.. Hm...and still have the nice benefits of real eax-gaming.
basshead.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiofreak
i have been reading these forums and other website reviews about these because i had internally made the decision these seem to be "for me". i finally bought them on monday, received em tuesday

they are my very first hi-fi component. a few days before i got them, i got a Total Airhead amp (any opinions from you guys, or suggestions on if i wasted my money, etc)

when i took them excited out of the box and tried them on my laptop (foobar2000 through an audigy2 and then thru the Total Airhead) i was a little disappointed. they sounded dull, sort of hushed and dim. it wasnt a volume issue, because i could turn it up and they would be loud, but still have a dullness to their sound, not very detailed and the highs seemed too low in volume. i am comparing the sound to the sound from my $30 HA-D350 headphones that i have always had, and just to how the songs had always sounded from radio/speakers/etc

i listened to them for hours into the night and left them on all night. the next day i did notice a difference in that the bass that became distorted very easily earlier was much more solid and alive. the higher notes started coming in a little more too.

since then i have been leaving them on during nights and days while i am away to burn them in more. by now they seem much better and alive, but i still have to adjust the equalizer (minorly) to add some extra highs around 1.8kHz-2.5kHz

here is a question i am wondering...i asked someone about this and he told me that playing mp3s that have poor recording quality is an issue. some i know they are bad, but other CDs that i have ripped myself using 320kbps LAME or 330kbps AAC still have the dullness.

is there a piece of audio hardware that i am missing that is the weak link in the chain here? are my 595's just not burned in all the way?

i do like the 595's funness and clarity (when the song playing has the clarity to begin with) and i do like their look...several times they are sitting on my desk and i want to put them on and listen even when i wasnt originally feeling like listening.

the earpads are firm but soft and comfy as i wear them now.

anyway, if anyone knows what issue i am talking about the muddy high-notes and has any hardware suggestions (that will really make a difference, i dont have $ just to burn for very minor things). also if there are some recordings i could buy that can showcase the true performance these headphones are capable of i am all ears. on acoustic guitar, these things shine and sound very natural, and i want something slower and intimate (being there in the music and savoring each note/word/etc...i have too many rock songs that are too loud and cant get too close otherwise i have to turn down)

Jan 1, 2006 at 11:48 PM Post #38 of 980
Where can i get the GoVibe v4? Prefferably in europe... Give me some links...
pm me
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea

Jan 2, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #39 of 980
I would PM you but just in case anyone else was interested, www.go-vibe.com .

Jan 2, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #40 of 980
Quote:

Originally Posted by busta
I would PM you but just in case anyone else was interested, www.go-vibe.com .

Hm...what difference is ther sound-wise between the op-amps?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #41 of 980
What "can" I say that hasn't already been said. Price/performance ratio is hard to beat. When it comes to critical listening, I reach for the hd595's! Hendrix and Adult Swim have never sounded better. Number 1 in the hood G.
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 2, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #44 of 980
Yeah, I'd say that's a very good price. They were available for $155 on Comp-U-Plus but they don't seem to carry them any more.

Jan 2, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #45 of 980
I just got mine a few days ago. Im more than pleased. I will probally buy a go-vibe and a new soundcard to open them up some more. But I just have never heard a headphone with a soundstage and detail like the 595's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back