Sennheiser HD580 or HD598?
Aug 1, 2011 at 11:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

fusedpro

100+ Head-Fier
These are the two headphones I have on my list at the moment. I understand that the HD580s are quite old and I would have to buy them used, but they are basically the HD600 without the ugly faux-marble finish. I'm not sure about the HD580, but I've read that the HD598 are a very fun can to listen to -- very large soundstage. My main genres will be rock based and classical. I do not have the option of trying either out.

These two are roughly the same price, so that's not really a factor. Any recommendations?

Note -- I will be using my Schiit Asgard as an amp and my computer (HT Omega Striker soundcard) as the main source... still looking into a dedicated DAC.

Aug 1, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #2 of 25
598 headband is faulty and there's no actual proof I can find that they changed anything in the construction, they crack easily.I was going to get a pair but sennheiser skimped on the build quality cant believe they still using this cheapo crack easy plastic.

Aug 1, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #3 of 25

Quote:
598 headband is faulty and there's no actual proof I can find that they changed anything in the construction, they crack easily.I was going to get a pair but sennheiser skimped on the build quality cant believe they still using this cheapo crack easy plastic.

Sennheiser usually makes their headphones like sly tanks. Built of plastic, yet can beat out metal

HD598 to ya OP
I haven't compared the two together, but apart I like and chose the HD598 because I think it's a killer deal at $180
btw, call up J&R to get them for $180 shipped

Also, they don't really need a amp, but best to have them amped.
Get the HD558 if you like black and with the tape mod, it has 95% of the SQ of the HD598

Aug 1, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #4 of 25
The HD580 are in an entirely different class from the HD598. Better all around (except for size of soundstage)

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #5 of 25

Quote:
The HD580 are in an entirely different class from the HD598. Better all around (except for size of soundstage)

Have you heard the HD598?

Don't think that because its newer and in a different line up, it doesn't stack up.

The HD598 drops short of the HD600 in regards but beats out the HD580

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:
Have you heard the HD598?

Don't think that because its newer and in a different line up, it doesn't stack up.

The HD598 drops short of the HD600 in regards but beats out the HD580

I have heard it and it's still pretty disappointing to me. Positioning isn't nearly as accurate as the HD6XX series IMO. The soundstage obviously is smaller for the HD6XX but positioning is much better. The HD600 sound pretty identical to the HD580 to my ears.

Aug 1, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #8 of 25
I've recently auditioned several headphones and the HD598 was one of my favorites.  It has a smooth, detailed sound that works very well for rock.  I highly recommend it if you're looking for a sweet sounding, mid-range happy set of cans.

Aug 1, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #9 of 25

Quote:
Quote:
I have heard it and it's still pretty disappointing to me. Positioning isn't nearly as accurate as the HD6XX series IMO. The soundstage obviously is smaller for the HD6XX but positioning is much better. The HD600 sound pretty identical to the HD580 to my ears.

Yes they do... because they have identical drivers.  The only difference should be the screens.

Though... my "new version" HD580's sound identical to the "new version" HD650's I had... because they happened to have identical drivers. 

But... according to Senn... most should have the HD600 drivers.   

Aug 1, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #10 of 25
I don't own the HD-580 anymore, so I'll give you a few comparisons to the HD-600 based on what MY ears heard with it's stock cable.

With the stock cables the HD-600 often sounds more clear, yet it's more forgiving of source quality. Does this makes sense? Probably not.
I guess the HD-598 is a little more grainy than the HD-600, but the difference is under 5% IMO and requires specific music to tell the difference. Usually stuff with a large soundstage.
I compared them side by side at the same time. I even had the HD-650 at the same time also. The HD-650 is less grainy than that of the HD-600.
The HD-600 and HD-650 are not super clear sounding headphones IMO. The HD-600 is kind of muffled sounding, but the new version less so. I tried them on 3 amps and my Asgard.
The HD-600 and HD-650 are not even remotely detail monsters. If you have a lot of lower quality files, they'll be quite forgiving of them if needed. They're more revealing with upgraded cables though.

With an HD-598 upgraded cable (totally rewired cheap Mogami) the sound clarity was pushed a bit past the HD-600 and had more detail IMO.

The HD-600 with stock cable had less treble and felt at times a little more laid back, despite the extra bass. For my preferences, the HD-600 is kind of boring.

The HD-598 has a much larger soundstage (no comparison) than the HD-600, but it may be better overall on the HD-600. I didn't compare them.

To me, the HD-598 has much more detail than the HD-600 and HD-650 with an upgraded cable. Think I'm crazy? Try it for yourself!
Of course as they say, the HD-650 is technically better.

HD-598 also has much more forward sounding mids than the HD-600 and HD-650. Some may not like this. They're not that forward, but it's really nice for some music.
HD-600 also has much more bass. I hate the bass on the HD-650 and often bleeds into the mids with some amps. Barely. I didn't realize this at first.

After comparing all 3 headphones I sold the 650, skipped giving the HD-600 a 3rd try and kept the HD-598.

Basically it depends on what sound signature you like most and the type of music you like.
People who generally don't like Sennheiser headphones should give the HD-598 a try. It's definitely one of my favorites.

Aug 1, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #12 of 25

Quote:
After comparing all 3 headphones I sold the 650, skipped giving the HD-600 a 3rd try and kept the HD-598.

And that's exactly why I have the HD598 instead of the HD650

I have the extra money, the power and usage. I just don't see it when the HD598 made me smile more.

Great advice: Buy the can that makes you smile when you listen to them.

Aug 1, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #13 of 25

Quote:
Do you listen to the HD600's with the phones as far forward as possible?  The sound changes dramatically, and get muffled the further back you position them on your head.

The HD598 don't have that problem.

When I tested the HD600, and HD650 for that matter, they were really touchy about that. The sound doesn't muffle but muddies over for me. Less detail and even less impact. The HD598 didn't really care where you kept the driver, it sill played the sound right.

If you're asking, the HD650 have different drivers then the HD600 and the HD600 is the same as the HD580 but with a better cable and grill

Aug 1, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #15 of 25
Thanks for the input everyone, feel free to keep the discussion(s) going, it's interesting for me to read about. Still undecided, but no foul to any of you, I am just very indecisive. I will be buying some Grado SR80i's since I can get them for cheap (apparently everyone needs to hear a Grado at least once, so why not). With these have a sound too similar to the HD580/598/600 that warrants not purchasing any Sennheiser or will there be enough differences to warrant owning both? I know the soundstage on the Grados can't compare, but otherwise I am clueless.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back