Sennheiser HD555 VS Audio Technica ATH-AD700
May 4, 2011 at 1:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Assimilator702

500+ Head-Fier
To anyone has lived with both of these cans or used them on a regular basis.....

If you had to choose one over the other state your reasons.

Or do you simply prefer to use each on different styles of music or gear?

I want my first pair of open back phones and have narrowed it down to these two.

I listen to ANY style of quality music thats well recorded.

May 4, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #2 of 9
There are threads on similar topics. But if i were to choose between the mentioned models, i'd go for the AD700's. Better soundstage, more comfort. 

May 4, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #5 of 9
How about the claim by some that if your head isn't large enough theres a gap at the top of the earcup?

Check out this review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv224accdB0&feature=related

May 4, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
AD700 has no sub-bass whatsoever, but if you're not purist enough to completely turn your nose up at agressive EQing, I would definitely get the AD700.

I'm not an EQ snob at all when it comes to headphones.....every single pair of headphones I own is 10X more enjoyable with some EQing.

Oh and the most important part.... ATH-AD700 SHIPPED to my door for $53 and a 30 money back guarantee.

May 4, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #7 of 9
The guy's review is pretty spot on, but it still doesn't take away the fact that AD700 are extremely great for their price, especially with aggressive EQing for sub-bass.  Since you're not afraid to do that, then I'd definitely get them.  They do have a gap at the top of the cups, and don't form a perfect seal, but that shouldn't be a huge cause for concern.  The cups are massive, and will reach all the way to some of your cheek bone-structure and down a bit to the neck, so the fit isn't that great, but their comfort is the best I've ever had.  And that's comparing them to the likes of other famous comfortable headphone like beyerdynamics and sennheisers.

May 4, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for the reply TmRaven.

Ok sounds good....I mean the price is right and I'm sure they're better than my Sennheiser HD205 which are VERY uncomfortable while sitting at the computer...nice upper mid and treble detail but whats the use if I feel like my eyes will POP out....and my head isn't that big either.

I'm a headphone noob so this is all quite overwhelming.
confused.gif

Jun 11, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
I'm not an EQ snob at all when it comes to headphones.....every single pair of headphones I own is 10X more enjoyable with some EQing.

Oh and the most important part.... ATH-AD700 SHIPPED to my door for $53 and a 30 money back guarantee.

Gracious, this is coming a month late, but where can you get them for half-price? Assuming you mean new or nearly new. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back