Sennheiser HD555 and HD595 internal comparison shots
Sep 13, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #48 of 130

You're highlighting the wrong parts. Different impedance, difference source and amps. You haven't heard of scientific method before?
"Here's two people, one is 90 years old, has survived two heart attacks and is a paraplegic and non smoker. The other person is a 20 year old smoker. We told them to run 200 metres. The smoker came first. Therefore, smoking improves your running ability". Yeah.
Quote:
Very nice pics and comparison. Thank you. I have owned the HD555 and HD595 (120 Ohm, not the 50 Ohm) at different times. I ran the HD555 from a SB Live Value sound card with a $100 portable amp and the HD595 from a Harmon Kardon receiver, and they sounded quite different with the HD595 a noticeable step up. I'm a little surprised to see the internals appear to be identical except for the foam.

Quote:
Hi,

It seems to me the magnet system is quite different. The back of the 555 looks like a cover made of pressed steel while the 595 seems like one solid block of neodymium...

I can tell from experience that a frequency response curve doesn't say anything about decay and impulse behaviour of the driver, the 595 might still have the edge in the driver quality there...

Usually poorer impulse behaviour shows in a deeper looking bass response in the frequency curve, this is mainly due to the higher Q of the driver, making it swing further because the driver 'motor' has less grip on the mass of the moving system. The 595 would then be more precise and possibly more dynamic.

If it was the difference between gold and steel, I might have believed him, but unless he's a photographic human spectrogram (that many seem to claim to be), then I'm prepared to dismiss hisclaim. Not to mention that the drivers are at different angles as well as light conditions from each other in the original pictures, they were also made three years apart. 

This thread is like cutting a worm just into its vital organs and watching it squirm to death.

Sep 13, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #49 of 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trysaeder

This thread is like cutting a worm just into its vital organs and watching it squirm to death.

You're familiar with that practice, are you? 
smile_phones.gif

Sep 13, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #50 of 130

I'm sorry to say, but after what was already discussed this was what struck me as rather a dumb/stupid rap:
Quote:
Originally Posted by recorder 

Wow, what an informative thread.
I'm definitely going to cancel my order for the 2011 Lincoln Navigator, and get the Ford Expedition, instead, right?

While I'm at it, I'm gonna Some Polk Audio Speakers, instead of the Def Techs, 'cause the guy who started DT used to be w/ Polk, and they look the same, anyways, right.
I think I really got shafted, because my Xonar STX has a C-Media chip, and I couldda got a DX cheaper, huh?
Ya know, that new set of Shure IEM's just might have the same driver as the old ones, Damn!!!

STOP!!!!

The 595 is NOT the 555 is NOT the 515.

And don't even get me started on the 598's, eekk!

Because it brought nothing new, we already knew the minor differences and already confirmed this does not justify the price difference. Hence my remark about marketing tricks. You might indeed think it is worth the price difference, but saying that now, after we've confirmed you already own a 595 it's rather obvious.

Then you say I have changed directions, that indeed I did after checking the partnumbers. Please note there is a chronological following order in the posts here and mixing them up might put them out of context. (DUH!)

Sep 13, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #55 of 130
I own the 595, the 50 ohm version. When i tried both the 555 and the 595, the SQ had maybe a little difference, but that could be placebo, for all I know. What I do know is, I got a 555 with a leather band, a nice Sennheiser logo inlay, a well-finished chrome ring and a very useful and practical headphone stand for a few dollars extra. I bought the factory upgrade package, like you do when you go out to buy a car and opt for the one with the leather seats and the factory-installed SatNav, because you don't want to bother with the messy cables and such... and since I got them at a discount, pricing was not a problem anyway.

Sure, the modding will get it to sound right, but will it be as good as the real thing? NO.

Sep 14, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #57 of 130

Quote:
You're highlighting the wrong parts. Different impedance, difference source and amps. You haven't heard of scientific method before?
"Here's two people, one is 90 years old, has survived two heart attacks and is a paraplegic and non smoker. The other person is a 20 year old smoker. We told them to run 200 metres. The smoker came first. Therefore, smoking improves your running ability". Yeah.

Your scientific analogy is totally laughable based on the opinions spewed forth on this thread. What are you smoking??
It seems like you're trying to" worm" your way out of the fact that absolutely nothing of scientific value has been demonstrated in this thread.

It is all opinions, and conjecture.
It is all it can ever be, isn't it?
Squirm on.

Sep 14, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #58 of 130

Quote:

I'm sorry to say, but after what was already discussed this was what struck me as rather a dumb/stupid rap:
Because it brought nothing new, we already knew the minor differences and already confirmed this does not justify the price difference. Hence my remark about marketing tricks. You might indeed think it is worth the price difference, but saying that now, after we've confirmed you already own a 595 it's rather obvious.

Then you say I have changed directions, that indeed I did after checking the partnumbers. Please note there is a chronological following order in the posts here and mixing them up might put them out of context. (DUH!)

V-bro, from your sig, sounds like you are the rapper, here.
Listen, bro, calling me dumb/stupid is really resorting to below the belt stuff.
Hey bro, it should have been apparent from my opening post that I'm a 595 owner, and all that proves is that like most on this thread, I love my HD's!
I think it's laughable that you can be so petty, based upon that fact.
I quite like the way I illuminated the differences.
And, yes, the fact that they share the same drivers is what my post was all about.
So who doesn't get IT??

Sep 14, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #59 of 130
Ok, simpler, so that a 12 year old can make sense.
Here we are testing how far a piece of marble and granite can fly.
The marble flew 6 metres, the granite flew 12 metres. Therefore, granite is lighter than marble.
(shh, the granite was half the weight of the marble)

You cannot compare things like that when there are multiple differences. Everything else must be the same except for one difference, or when that is not possible, controlled as well as possible.
Great quote you selected to demonstrate your point. It shows more obviously.

But I like watching this thing squirm against impossibility, it naturally gives me a sense of power. Why defend something when there's nothing to defend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back