Sennheiser HD250 Linear Impressions Micro-Thread
Oct 3, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #106 of 543
20181004_014740.jpg

Found them, 600 Ohms version.
They need a good clean but otherwise are in perfect condition. Probably deserves new cabling

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #107 of 543
The Sennheiser HD250 Impression Thread

Sennheiser HD250 Linear 600ohm (background) with modern day HD700

Well, I’ve only had the Sennheiser HD250 for a short while, but long-enough to realize what an incredible classic I have come across. Even more surprising, there is little fanfare here at head-fi.org and no dedicated appreciation thread.

I'd like to first thank @MrTechAgent who has helped shine some light on these old classics, in particular the HD540. With his videos, I would never have sought this out. I highly recommend checking out his HD540 Reference (1985) video, but also the rest of his channel.

And when I say classic, I’m putting these up there alongside the LCD2 and HD650. I may go as far to say it surpasses them in the aspect of natural, linear tonality. These are smooth, warm, detailed headphones that sound very expansive despite being a closed-headphone. Contrasted against an LCD2 or HD650, they have very extended, clear and natural treble. It is so involving. Beyond this, the rest of the sound is also on point, and the bass is superb, with it almost bordering on too much (and for those that want less there is the open back HD540).

So rather than just a review, I feel these cans truly justify their own Appreciation Thread, as they are not only rare, but under-appreciated given their capabilities to this present day.

I’m going to keep my impressions short for now, as well as the background on these headphones, as I actually only have a limited time with them, and secondly, it is difficult finding information on these. I’m hoping others will contribute some of their own experiences and information.

Remembering a Sennheiser Classic

At some point, the HD250 vanished into history. What remains is rather scant online. Keep in mind, this wasn’t just an ‘80s headphone, it was being produced until the early 2000s. There are two versions, the HD250 Linear and the HD250 Linear II. From my understanding it was brought back in the nineties due to popular demand, and given a new coat of paint. From what I have read, they are pretty much identical, but a number of user will describe one as being bass light, or one better than the other, etc. Further confounding this is that there exists 300ohm and 600ohm versions! Some users have reported that depending on the quality of the pads it can (no surprise) alter the sound signature. One user pointed out that they got their HD250 to sound very close to their HD540 with partially vented pads. Above all, a number of users agree that the HD250 (and perhaps to a larger extent the HD540) are preferred over the HD580,600,650. Or at the very least putting them at or near the same level.

Mine were form Radio-Canada studio headphones. In great condition with new pads and cable.

Can this Really Be Compared to the HD650?

I know controversial right. I love the HD650, and I won’t get into to this too deeply at the moment. I feel that the HD650 is perhaps a bit too relaxed. For instance, on dynamic classical recordings, the high-end was a bit uninvolved. It is an incredible headphone in its own right, and if you are an enthusiast of the HD650/600/580 then you may be surprised that these classic Sennheisers really pull it off. But maybe you shouldn’t be. It’s not as if this company came out of nowhere and dropped the HD580 on us.

What I find is that brass, strings, bell tones, glissando, really anything that hits those top notes is clear as day. This is some of the most accurate and best treble I’ve heard in can, let alone a closed can. The rest of the spectrum is all very present. This isn’t the more mid-centric sound we’ve heard from many flagship cans. Some people may say the mid-range is recessed, but it sounds perfectly balanced with the high-end, and the low range of the HD250 is also very natural, with percussion sounding life-like.

Even soundstage, is quite open, and imaging on this can is superb. You can easily place the depth of the different performers.

Let’s just put it this way, if you could have an HD650 with more sub-bass extension/volume, and more lifted accurate highs, would that interest you? Many people have been pointing those traits as some of the HD650s minor weaknesses. But here we have a Sennheiser can that pretty much nails reference tonality, in a closed back!

True Genre Masters

Since I’ve been here on head-fi, a term that used to be spun around a bit more was the idea of a Genre Master. In this case, it means a headphone that can play all Genres. The HD250 just doesn’t sound just great or good with all genres, it sounds outstanding with any genre providing its production is high-quality and dynamic. They are equally at home play classical music, reggae/dub, detroit techno, classic rock, pop to black metal.

If It’s So Good, Why Haven’t I Heard These?

Sennheiser has kept some of its headphones alive for a long-time. The HD600 and HD650 for good reason. The HD25 (not to be confused with the HD250) would have been relegated to being a broadcaster and ENG headphone if it hadn’t become a mainstay in the underground electronic scene across Europe and then the US.

Not too long ago, there were huge threads on Graham Slee’s old forum on both this headphone and the HD540 - its open back variant. Those are gone, but have been partially cached by Google. Graham Slee had at one point (and it could still be the case to this day) claimed the HD250 as his favourite headphone. From my understanding it was one of the formative headphones used in developing his amps. Great, so it has some industry acknowledgement. But aside from some other audio forums this headphone and the 540 are largely forgotten. But its time that they were re-discovered.

I’ll be posting in the coming weeks more detailed impressions, and how they compare to some other headphones such as the Denon D2000, Sennheiser’s own HD700, Sony MDR-7520 and Audeze LCD2 (early revision). Not to spoil anything, but they just sound right.

Great writing/story ! For sure, those old enoiugh to recall Sennheiser's premium 1980/90's offerings were sure to have noted some great models; the '250 Linear' an example.
At the time I had to coose the HD-540's (couldn't afford the 560's?/580-580 Precision) but man Senn made some (affordable) beauties.

Over the years, its lost its way. When a "newcomer" such as Hifiman (with its remarkable/excllent) 400i can shame a $700-$1,200. Sennhiser (build quality, SQ) for a fraction oif the price, an example of student becoming teacher is apt.

I'm willing to wager that a HD-580 Precision (circa late 80's/90-95) could easily vompete with Senn's current HD-800 Premium offering ($1,500. model).
I'd also guess it would annihlate the current HD-800 -and all/every model below.

Last year some time, it didn'take long at all to realize the Hifiman 400S was far more open/revealing, textured and nuanced. But to my mind a troubling (bothersome) rising top-end.
Discovering the 400i resolved that. A great headphone. That is the model to beat -at its respective price point.

Thakns for the trip down memory lane. The days of great Senn 'can's' (of solid build/SQ) for reasonable coin, are but a distant memory.

pj

Oct 4, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #108 of 543
Great writing/story ! For sure, those old enoiugh to recall Sennheiser's premium 1980/90's offerings were sure to have noted some great models; the '250 Linear' an example.

I'm willing to wager that a HD-580 Precision (circa late 80's/90-95) could easily vompete with Senn's current HD-800 Premium offering ($1,500. model).
I'd also guess it would annihlate the current HD-800 -and all/every model below.

pj

I have heard that the 580's from Germany are superb but very hard to find :/
I listened to the HD 800 S a while ago at a Head-fi meet - I was disappointed by them. They seemed to constantly showing off - like they were saying 'listen to this frequency, isn't it clear' and then 'listen to that frequency, isn't it crisp?'
They just seemed quite immature - Technically they sound good but I never swop my HD540's for a pair
HD 540 and in some degree's the HD 250 offer a natural true to life sound that is far far more accomplished than so called Modern Flagship Senns :)
I bought their new headphone which they claimed was build to match the 250 - It was returned. I should have sued them for false advertising. Sounding nothing like the 250
Just another mp3,phone listening millenniums type of tuning :D

Oct 4, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #109 of 543
Friend of mine still has his old HD540 Reference Gold's in a wooden box, stored somewhere in his living room.
Think he used those 5 times max....

As far as I can remember they had paired drivers. For me they sounded a little more sophisticated in comparison with HD250 Linear.

Oct 4, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #110 of 543
Hey Jon: Great (oh, I mean sad) story . But I love honesty -and your words/experience ring true.

Although I have not audioned the 800S -I know exactly what you are saying/describing regarding SQ. What a shame.
And, what must we pay for this priviledge/luxury?

I will say the standard HD-800S are easily bested by Hfiman 400 i (i's) -and by a long shot.

In any case, it's a real pleasure to hear from someone who is righfully critical.

I love the false advertising quip ! lol

Although only under 'Show' conditions (last year TAVES), neither the Focal "U-Poopia" nor Sony's $2K model were impressive either.
In fact, both were a huge disappointment. Again, Hifiman 400i's better either of those (above) -and by a long shot. And, at $300/$400?, well ...

pj

Oct 4, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #111 of 543
Friend of mine still has his old HD540 Reference Gold's in a wooden box, stored somewhere in his living room.
Think he used those 5 times max....

As far as I can remember they had paired drivers. For me they sounded a little more sophisticated in comparison with HD250 Linear.

I also have a pair of Golds. You have a very good memory! I also find them more sophisticated than the normal 540's - smaller soundstage - Essentially a tuning leaning more towards professional use. In other words not quite as fun as the 540 reference but more accurate. I think for this reason they may be appreciated better for a more 'mature' pair of ears to fully appreciate what they offer?
If your friend wants to sell them, let me know...maybe your 250's as well? :)

Oct 4, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #112 of 543
Hi Jon,
My memory is better than my hearing nowadays
I didn't hear both of them, 250's and 540's for a long time. As a teenager I listened a lot to my 250's, but always preferred my speakers, and still do. Have HE400i now since this year, combined with topping nx4-dsd, use them when traveling or before going a sleep. Must say that I like to listen to HP's more often than I was used to.
Probably going to sell HE400i's, 250's and Topping nx4-dsd to invest in higher range Hifiman hp's in combination with Zishan dsd.
Will ask my friend if he want's to sell his 540's, if yes, be prepared for higher transport costs because of the original wooden box of the 540's.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #113 of 543
Hi Jon,
My memory is better than my hearing nowadays
I didn't hear both of them, 250's and 540's for a long time. As a teenager I listened a lot to my 250's, but always preferred my speakers, and still do. Have HE400i now since this year, combined with topping nx4-dsd, use them when traveling or before going a sleep. Must say that I like to listen to HP's more often than I was used to.
Probably going to sell HE400i's, 250's and Topping nx4-dsd to invest in higher range Hifiman hp's in combination with Zishan dsd.
Will ask my friend if he want's to sell his 540's, if yes, transport costs will be higher because of the original wooden box...

Awesome - If possible could you find out the serial number on the headband?
I can't listen to speakers where I live so my whole audiophile journey has been first with IEM's and for the last few years 'vintage' headphones
I think the 400i's are a headphone I may well need to get at some point although. Tried a few but I have yet to find a planer that I am 100% happy with :/
I do like the over all tonality of planer technology

Oct 4, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #114 of 543
Hey Jon: Great (oh, I mean sad) story . But I love honesty -and your words/experience ring true.

Although I have not audioned the 800S -I know exactly what you are saying/describing regarding SQ. What a shame.
And, what must we pay for this priviledge/luxury?

I will say the standard HD-800S are easily bested by Hfiman 400 i (i's) -and by a long shot.

In any case, it's a real pleasure to hear from someone who is righfully critical.

I love the false advertising quip ! lol

Although only under 'Show' conditions (last year TAVES), neither the Focal "U-Poopia" nor Sony's $2K model were impressive either.
In fact, both were a huge disappointment. Again, Hifiman 400i's better either of those (above) -and by a long shot. And, at $300/$400?, well ...

pj

I heard about a Sound Engineer who said recently that over his 60 years career in was only in the last 3 or 4 years that he finally began to understand what quality bass / low end should sound like!!
I reckon that until you have heard a lot of headphones / amps etc its difficult to even know what 'real' sound 'should' or even can sound like
There are many aspects of sound that excite the ears which most people interpret as good or quality but which in reality only later often just leads to ear fatigue
I think of good quality sound as sliding into a warm bath at the end of a hard day - there should be a relief not just to the feeling but FAR more importantly to the experience of it
This is what a lot of people miss IMHO - REAL quality gives you an experience of inner peace and a certain natural almost melting into the music. You effortlessly mix your mind with the music itself and you feel relaxed and happy.
Try to find that experience with an mp3 for example... :) no chance

Oct 4, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #115 of 543
I can't listen to speakers where I live so my whole audiophile journey has been first with IEM's and for the last few years 'vintage' headphones
I think the 400i's are a headphone I may well need to get at some point although. Tried a few but I have yet to find a planer that I am 100% happy with :/

Woah, some fellow memory-lane audiophiles ! I did not know (forgot more likely) that Senn made a 540 Reference/Precision; I had the plain 540's (actually, I should have those lying around somewhere.)

In any case, those "were-the-days" of premium Sennhesier headphone offerings for sure. Still think of them very fondly.
Can't say the same today -and those prices! Gimm'e a break.

Fear not the Hifiman 400i's (i's)-a GREAT headphone. (break-in 200-hours)

Not sure which HFM 'Can' would be clearly superior -but I do know it will be expensive.

pj

Oct 4, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #116 of 543

You need serial of 540's? On 250's there's no serial printed on them.

About planar technology, I like it a lot, but HE400i's have less sub-bass which I really miss.

I also have a pair of Jecklin Float, but those need to be refurbished.

Oct 4, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #117 of 543
You need serial of 540's? On 250's there's no serial printed on them.

About planar technology, I like it a lot, but HE400i's have less sub-bass which I really miss.

I also have a pair of Jecklin Float, but those need to be refurbished.

The reason I ask is that below a certain serial number means they are 600 ohm. Above a certain number are 300 ohm
The number is in gold on told of the fabric that sits on the head :)
Jecklin Floats eh WoW - that is impressive. I would be afraid to put them on my head in case they actually turned out to be a time machine!
They are an awesome looking headphone
I wish there were sound engineers alive today that were still doing stuff like that

Oct 4, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #118 of 543
The reason I ask is that below a certain serial number means they are 600 ohm. Above a certain number are 300 ohm
The number is in gold on told of the fabric that sits on the head :)
Jecklin Floats eh WoW - that is impressive. I would be afraid to put them on my head in case they actually turned out to be a time machine!
They are an awesome looking headphone
I wish there were sound engineers alive today that were still doing stuff like that

If I visit my friend I will take a picture, and measure it's impedance to be sure. My 250's are 600 Ohm.

Yes, the Jecklin Floats are looking incredible

Oct 4, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #120 of 543
Btw, now is the time to buy HE400i because of the Sundara.
HE400i is for sale now, around $180 which is a real bargain!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back