Sennheiser HD25-1-ii vs. IE80 (vs. Amperior), please help me choose!
Oct 13, 2012 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

yahoobabe

New Head-Fier
i know ie80 and the other two choices are a bit different, but i'm having trouble making a choice between them
(although prefer headphones than IEMs, i'm not counting this in for the choice i am about to make)

the music i mainly listen to are
Progressive Metal (Dream Theater)
80s Hard rock
Metal (Angra)
a bit of Dubstep and mainstream

I like heavy bass(HD25 is enough for me though), especially the ones with quality (I think all those 3 have pretty much qualified bass though) and i hope that the bass doesn't make me feel that they are very far away from me (I like them in my face)
I don't like trebles that are too intense (making my ear bleed when i listen to guitar solos/riffs)
vocals aren't that important for me compared to others
mids are not that much of a deal either but i prefer not to have Muddy mids.

btw i haven't really auditioned the Amperior,
from what i've seen all reviews tend to say that "if you already own a HD25-1-ii, then it's not worth it to upgrade it to the amperiors"
however, if now i don't actually own any of these,
is it worth the $150 price difference for the amperior?

thanks a lot!

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #3 of 9
I preferred my senn IE7, to the hd25 II 1.
Since the IE80 and IE7  share a similar sound signature,
and also the amperior and hd25, I think I'd like the IE80  more.

If you want "quality bass" , take the IEM seriously.
The hd25 bass is not very textured, and doesn't extend much.

Quote:
from what i've seen all reviews tend to say that "if you already own a HD25-1-ii, then it's not worth it to upgrade it to the amperiors"

No , because for the price, you can get better. I prefer my srh940, if you don't take in account the sucky built quality.
I just don't consider the hd25 to be "high fidelity", they are all about some fun,
quite expensive for some fun.
And you'd have more fun with the IE80 anyways.

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #4 of 9
thanks a lot for the advice!

what about the Sound stage on these two? (HD25 II 1 and IE80 of course)
is any one between these two significantly better than the other one?

thanks in advance again :)

Oct 13, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
omg i'm new here but i actually thought all people in this forum are big fans of HD25!
thanks for your information, helped me a lot!

Soundstage doesn't usually come at the top of the list, on the desired qualities from head-fier.
Lot of mainstream music, have too much loudness compression, a limited dynamic range,
and I'd think that for that kind of music, the cramped soundstage of hd25 doesn't harm much.
Anyway, the only valid reason to get the hd25 , is that you don't find IEMs comfy; and still want some isolation.

But lot of competition is coming, for portable headphones:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/630574/mid-fi-closed-portable-headphone-battle-2012-discussion-v3-final

Oct 13, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Explain please

Soundstage of hd25 is narrow, and I almost feel "claustrophobic" from the lack of any airiness in the sound.
 I think some of resonance in the tiny cups  are re-inforcing the feeling of "closed space".
Some people describe the hd25 soundstage as almost sounding "mono", although I can't imagine that being possible.
But let me be clear: the hd25 are fun , and enjoyable to a certain extent, I just don't feel they are worth their price.

Anyway, I think the IE80 would trounce the hd25 in the soundstage department, there's no contest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back