Sennheiser HD25-1-II Limited Edition - could these be fake?
Feb 16, 2010 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

mimayin

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Bought these from a 3rd-party seller on Amazon and I suspect they are fake.

The ear cushions feel quite firm and not soft as I thought they should be, also they came boxed but there was no warranty card or documentation in the box.

Furthermore, the Sennheiser lettering around the headband is slightly uneven and doesn't have "Made in Ireland" underneath it - Sennheiser have told me these are probably fake.

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks..

Feb 16, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #2 of 34
Seems I could have been wrong, just spoke to a guy at a DJ store in the west end and apparently their stock is the same - no "made in ireland" text around the headband and no warranty/documentation in the box.

Feb 16, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #3 of 34
They could be legit. How do they sound?

Feb 16, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 34
Really good
smily_headphones1.gif
bass is powerful but controlled, really clear and solid sound, doesn't distort even if i give it full volume out of my iphone with bass boost on. bass boost destroyed the bose 'phones i had before.

Feb 16, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by mimayin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really good
smily_headphones1.gif
bass is powerful but controlled, really clear and solid sound, doesn't distort even if i give it full volume out of my iphone with bass boost on. bass boost destroyed the bose 'phones i had before.

Bose isn't exactly the best for a reference point.
You should find someone with a standard HD 25 II and compare.

Feb 16, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #6 of 34
My headband lettering isn't uneven, but that sounds just like the HD25-1 I bought from a Head-fier on Slickdeals who bought them from Newegg and tried out for about 45 minutes(and I believed him too, at the time it looked new).

Do they come without velours and a bag?

Feb 16, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 34
The Special Ltd. Edition HD 25-1 II's do not come with the velor pads or drawstring bag, but rather the zip-up carry case. Also, they do not have the made in Ireland stamp at the top of the band. I was thinking the same thing when I received mine, but have since confirmed that these are the real deal. Plus, they sound amazing and are on par with the high expectations hyping up these durable portable cans.
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #8 of 34
I'm pretty sure they are real, and also pretty sure I'm going to return them tomorrow. They sound great but they hurt my ears, as a developer I need to wear headphones all day and after an hour or so my ears really hurt with these on, they sit on the ear too much.

I'm probably going to go out and get QuietComfort15's tomorrow, unless anyone has any better suggestions? I wanted the isolation of the HD25's, which is really impressive, they just hurt too much to be viable for my use.

Feb 16, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

I'm pretty sure they are real, and also pretty sure I'm going to return them tomorrow. They sound great but they hurt my ears, as a developer I need to wear headphones all day and after an hour or so my ears really hurt with these on, they sit on the ear too much.

I'm probably going to go out and get QuietComfort15's tomorrow, unless anyone has any better suggestions? I wanted the isolation of the HD25's, which is really impressive, they just hurt too much to be viable for my use.

Just stretch them a bit by pulling them evenly apart. I found that they were near-unbearable with glasses, but after wearing them to and from work and stretching them a bit for about a week, there was no more pain to speak of. Actually, VERY comfortable now.
L3000.gif

Feb 16, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #11 of 34
It's really comfortable for sure.
But for long period listening, you need to make sure that you're fine with the air pressure caused by active NC. Even if you're totally fine with that, how QC15 fit your need will depends on the surroundings. To me, the NC sometimes works too well and all my co-workers has to tap me to get my notice. Also, you're free from the noise but at the same time those hints of noise which cannot be completely canceled may be a little bit annoying. For example, I can barely hear the operating sound of microwave behind me. But at the same time, since I cannot distinguish the clunk sound of closing microwave oven from someone banging the door or wall, I need to turn around and check what exactly happened
tongue.gif

Quote:

Hmm I dunno, I don't much care for the on-ear kind of headphones.

Those QC15s look really comfy

Feb 16, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #12 of 34
Not hearing my co-workers is a good thing
smily_headphones1.gif
We have an unspoken rule in the devteam that we don't interrupt eachother without asking on instant messaging first, and to be honest I will mostly use the headphones in the office where I really don't care about any sound other than my music. Headphones are a tool to maintain mental focus.

Feb 16, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #13 of 34
Hey sampson_smith, I'm kind of in two minds about the QC15s now... I read elsewhere that the pressure with NC on can be annoying. Given that the QC15s cost more than twice as much as the HD25s, I'm wondering if I should try stretching them to see if I can make them more comfortable first... the sound really is amazing from these phones.

Are they really that comfortable to wear now that you've stretched them out a bit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back