Sennheiser HD201 Impressions
Mar 15, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #31 of 42
I own the HD-201. In my opinion, these are mediocre at best. The sound is really small and almost squaky and lacks clarity. They lack dynamic range. They clip really easily and you really have to crank the volume compared to the other headphones I own (see signature). They're uncomfortable as well. I don't get why people like them. 

I actually took my first set I bought back to the store because one cup sounded different than the other. My second pair was no better. I found out a year and a half later that it's actually the ear pads that are causing the uneven sound.  They currently sit in their original box collecting dust. I should've never bought them or got my money back after the first pair.
triportsad.gif
 My sub 20 dollar JVC flats blow the HD-201 out of the water!

Mar 17, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #32 of 42
I am really impressed at the sound these headphones can produce given the right Headphone amplifier and DAC. I am using the AudioLab M-Dac and Meier Corda Jazz to power them and they sound phenomenal. The vocals are not too forward, the treble is enough to bring out the detail. However the only thing lacking is the bass which seems a bit flat. But they can still be enjoyed and would be as good as the Koss Porta Pro. 

I find the soundstage to be good enough for a closed set of headphones and there is no lack of instrument separation. The is slight distortion with complex musical passages and you know that the headphone is being pushed to its limits. 

All in All big them a bit more bass and bring out the vocals a bit forward and we have a real winner. I would recommend these headphones for anyone who wants to just take a break from all the Hi-End stuff and enjoy the cheaper things in life.

Sometimes in life it get hards always going to Harrods and buying the expensive stuff. Sometimes you just want to go to £1 store and pick something up. Cant always drive a Ferrari sometimes you need a break and drive that Fiat punto or the Ford Kia or better yet the Lambretta Scooter.

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #33 of 42
They are good and for that very low price, just get one! Go buy one now! :)

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #34 of 42
There's a pair sitting in my lab left over from a PhD student who has now moved on to do post-doc work at another lab.

They're light, they're flimsy. They sound "ok" for $10.

They completely lack bass even when drive out of my Total Bithead. Lots of plasticky sounding resonances too, but you can't ask for too much at $10...

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #35 of 42
Quote:
There's a pair sitting in my lab left over from a PhD student who has now moved on to do post-doc work at another lab.

They're light, they're flimsy. They sound "ok" for $10.

They completely lack bass even when drive out of my Total Bithead. Lots of plasticky sounding resonances too, but you can't ask for too much at $10...

Is it possible to fix the bass with an eq?

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #36 of 42
I will try this when I get back into the lab Tuesday and report back, if someone else hasn't already done so.

Dec 22, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #37 of 42
I've had them for a few years, came free with some other gizmo I bought. I think I remember they used to clamp my head, but now it's the opposite. I took to tying a bandana and sliding it down over the headpiece (and my head) to get the full sound coming through. But of course after a while it struck me as ridiculous, and I decided to get something in the $100 range. That's another thread, but anyone know a mod for getting these 201s tighter again? They'd still be usable, if only they didn't lose so much sound from their accumulated floppiness. Another tangent: I picked all the leatherette crap off, which was getting all over the place. I did it with tweezers, and it took forever.

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #38 of 42
I've had my hd201 headphones for about a month now and I am already considering buying another pair! One to keep stock and one for all the mods I am experimenting with! :) I love the sound that comes from these guys! Running out of my laptop or my Fiio E6 they sound very spacious for a 20 dollar headphone. I bought the hd428 pads from sennheiser after reading about it in another thread. I wasn't expecting too much of a difference as I thought they were pleasant sounding and comfortable to begin with but dang, these things have bass now! Good bass too! Deep and not overpowering. Soundstage seemed to open up a bit too and now my ears don't touch the drivers! 

Another big difference was they no longer distort for some reason. I have had some seriously bassy songs playing through these that sounded like gravel in a coffee can before that now sound beautiful. I don't know why the pads made a difference in that. Maybe it was just them burning in. Either way they keep getting better to me! Now I am working on making the cable detachable and making a shorter cable for portable use. 

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #39 of 42
Sold my hd598's ( :'( ) so I'm back to using my old hd201's for now. I really love these headphones, always have. If sennheiser made a version with better earpads and a shorter and or replaceable cable, I would be very happy as those are my only complaints! I can't seem to track down the velour earpads some people have used with their hd201's...

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #40 of 42
  Sold my hd598's ( :'( ) so I'm back to using my old hd201's for now. I really love these headphones, always have. If sennheiser made a version with better earpads and a shorter and or replaceable cable, I would be very happy as those are my only complaints! I can't seem to track down the velour earpads some people have used with their hd201's...

Have you tried the sennheiser website? i can't remember the exact part number but im sure if you searched for HD428 replacement pads that it would bring you right to them. I also shortened my cable to about 3 feet so I am loving these things so much more than i ever did when they were stock!

Oct 23, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #42 of 42
I may as well bump this thread.

I've had the HD201s since I was under 10 and I'm in my mid 20s now.

I never really use them any more, but I've just gone back to them and I think they are seriously good for the money, and will be better than nemourous headphones out these days for well over £100.

My current commonly used headphones are as follows:

AKGK550
AKGK550 MKIII
Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium
Audio Technica ATH-AD700

I've also had the AKG K702 which I no longer own.

I also sometimes try out my dad's HD280 Pros. I will be honest, after switching back to the HD201s, the bass is the only significent improvement with them over the HD201s. The detail is honestly amazing for the price they were when new ( just £15).

People saying they have no bass must be used to some pretty extreme bass. My open backed ATH-AD700s have less bass than these, but i would still say the bass is audible on them, just not very much impact. The HD201s have perfectly audible bass, with reasonable mid bass but a lack of low end. But everything else accross the spectrum is extremelly flat and balenced, which is probably why a lot of the general reviews I've read elsewhere seemed to be so negative. So many don't seem to like flat and relatively accurate sound. These headphones don't have any frequency that stands out and they are excellent for the money. Even now, after listening to the DT880s as my main desktop headphones and AKG K550s as with my FiiO X3 as portable headphones, I still am amazed how good the HD201s sound. My view would be different if they were not so cheap, but the fact is they were under 10 times cheaper than my DT880s and K550 MKIIIs! The extra cost for these does not compensate for the sound quality difference.

This isn't going to make me want to use my HD201s though. The cable is badly disintergrating and crumbling to bits and it is still clear that all my other headphones do sound better. But I have to say that in a sense, they are possibly slightly less balenced than the HD201. All 3 of my other headphones are heavy on the treble, which I personally like. The Dt880s and AD700s have it at the right area to sound pleasent for me. The K550s can sometimes be a bit pearsing, but sound amazingly open for closed back headphones.

The HD201s do sound a bit congested and not very spacious, but if I try to find fault with these sound wise for the prise when they are driven well, it is honestly pretty hard. Amazing to think that i've been able to write this while actually enjoying listening to them for a change despite them being so cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back