Sennheiser HD201 Impressions
Dec 22, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #16 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoewreck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Btw, these little headphones have lots of bass hidden inside. They have a small cup inside covering driver back (only seen when fully disassembled). If you drill some holes in it you would get an enormous bass boost.

Interesting. How did you do it? Did you take the cup off first and then drill it? I tried disassembling mine at one point and I was unable to take the cup off because of all the glue that was used to seal it. I'd like to try what you did, but I'm worried about drilling with the cup on and damaging the driver. Also, did you take the outer plastic cover off as well (the silver one with the Sennheiser logo on it) or drill into it?

Dec 22, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #17 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim359 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. How did you do it? Did you take the cup off first and then drill it? I tried disassembling mine at one point and I was unable to take the cup off because of all the glue that was used to seal it. I'd like to try what you did, but I'm worried about drilling with the cup on and damaging the driver. Also, did you take the outer plastic cover off as well (the silver one with the Sennheiser logo on it) or drill into it?

Of course, I took the cup off before drilling. Don't remember any problems with glue. I've probably inserted a small screwdriver under a screw eylet and used it as lever to lift the cap. I didn't do any modifications to the outer cover, because I wanted my HD201's to remain sealed.

Dec 23, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of the benefits of sourcing a 20$ headphone with 1400$ worth of upstream equipment. ^_^

I decided to hook the HD201s to my current setup which you can see in my sig. First off I agree with what you said about the soundstage. Not much height but there is a certain amount of depth that makes it nice to listen to. But I got to say it still don't impress me and your statement of 'incredibly detailed' aren't exactly the words that come to my mind. They are still very muffled and lack dynamics. There is hardly any bass which is really noticeable with some jazzy records. Sure you can hear the bass but there is big empty spot where it should hump more.
smily_headphones1.gif

The good thing of this all is that they sound pretty balanced. Really nothing stands out but because they don't go low nor go high the sound is quite boring imo. BTW, the cave effect you spoke of is spot on.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #19 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I decided to hook the HD201s to my current setup which you can see in my sig. First off I agree with what you said about the soundstage. Not much height but there is a certain amount of depth that makes it nice to listen to. But I got to say it still don't impress me and your statement of 'incredibly detailed' aren't exactly the words that come to my mind. They are still very muffled and lack dynamics. There is hardly any bass which is really noticeable with some jazzy records. Sure you can hear the bass but there is big empty spot where it should hump more.
smily_headphones1.gif

The good thing of this all is that they sound pretty balanced. Really nothing stands out but because they don't go low nor go high the sound is quite boring imo. BTW, the cave effect you spoke of is spot on.
smily_headphones1.gif

I totally agree.

Dec 23, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #20 of 42
I commend your willingness to look seriously at budget headphones like the 201s and the other you've mentioned. Obviously you have choices and opening up a discussion on an affordable headphone might encourage other people, who perhaps lack a firm financial footing, to get serious about headphones as a fulfilling listening option. Try a set of Philips SHP8900s if you can. Very pleasing for the $$$ and they are not difficult to drive.

Cheers
Don

Dec 23, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ddoingwell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I commend your willingness to look seriously at budget headphones like the 201s and the other you've mentioned. Obviously you have choices and opening up a discussion on an affordable headphone might encourage other people, who perhaps lack a firm financial footing, to get serious about headphones as a fulfilling listening option. Try a set of Philips SHP8900s if you can. Very pleasing for the $$$ and they are not difficult to drive.

Cheers
Don

x2,

very well said.

Dec 23, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #22 of 42
My first Senns were the 201's and my kid broke em. I found a five pack of 202's at amazon for 87.00 US These little guys really rock. The only thing that lessens them from $100.00 + cans is the lack width in thier soundstage. I've given away all but two pair and everyone I gave them too coments on how great they sound. I can't fgure out why 24 ohm cans need an amp but I'm spoiled with my IEM's at 16 ohms. The Fiio suggestion is a great thought as the E3 amp is bass heavy and will add a little to that end. The new E5 amp is less bass heavy unless you turn the bass boost on, and has an on/off volume switch and rechargeable battery. so for 25.00 US you can't go wrong. ( I know, more than the 201's) but your in audiophile land now where your money and wallet are soon parted.and you'll find that any amp except the smallest micro will set you back $100 +.

Dec 23, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #23 of 42
Nice. Agree with pretty much all of it. I'll add stuff about build quality:

They're not built to be tossed into a bag. Plastic bits from mine have broken off, allowing the cups to swivel more than they were designed to. It's not a mod. Heh. Well, it could be, I guess. And the cable length is super-annoying too.

Dec 24, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #24 of 42
Just pulled out my 201's, blew off the dust and amped them for the first time through my LD MK III - wow, these really improve with amping. Bass tigtens up, soundstage widens nicely, mids still a little recessed, but for cans that cost less than $20 - one can't go wrong.

Oct 16, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #25 of 42
These headphones are not bad for the money but of course are NOT perfect. I like: the soundstage -very good for a closed headphone in this price range-, the mids and also the bass are very good for the price, the detail sound. I don't like: the highs are sometimes to dry and sibilance (depends of the records), the cable it's too long and thin, not so confortable for long sesion.
If you use an headphone amplifier ( I use a valve amplifier in class A Yarland P100)  for these cans you'll hear the difference.

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #26 of 42
Well, I just picked up a pair of these this morning at Guitar Centers Black Friday Sale. 15 bucks. Now, this mini review is based off of value for money. Upon first impressions, the treble is a little harsh, and a little too loud for my taste. The mids blend in with the lows quite well. The bass is there, but it's quiet. One quick equalizer later, and sound gets greatly improved. The bass still is a little too quiet, but the highs have lost their harshness. Take it one step further with a FiiO E11 on full bass, and all is good. Great, thumping bass, loud mids and calm highs. Great setup, great buy for 15 bucks, just at least have an equalizer.

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #27 of 42
Quote:
I am afraid I can't fully agree. They're nice for the money but I wouldn't call the bass 'controlled' and wouldn't call the HD201 detailed at all. They sound pretty muffled to my ears.

I had the same impression. The part that they need such a powerful source kills it for me (at this price range I am expecting a throw around headphone that I can use in any situations basically). At least they are always cheap online,  http://amzn.to/W0pBpn , paid them 22$ with free shipping I believe

Dec 10, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #28 of 42
Newegg had a crazy sale on these, and they sent them to me for $5 including shipping.  They are very good for what they are , and if you pay under $15 you got a very good deal.  They seem very sturdy.  It only whetted my appetite for better headphones, and I got the HD598.

I like how they fit and they sound better than you would think.   I can't see anyone on this board being satisfied with these headphones , but your kid sister or brother would probably love them.

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #29 of 42
Quote:
Newegg had a crazy sale on these, and they sent them to me for $5 including shipping.  They are very good for what they are , and if you pay under $15 you got a very good deal.  They seem very sturdy.  It only whetted my appetite for better headphones, and I got the HD598.

I like how they fit and they sound better than you would think.   I can't see anyone on this board being satisfied with these headphones , but your kid sister or brother would probably love them.

5$ shipped. WOW!

Jan 12, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #30 of 42
Get them! For some music I actually prefer them over my Shure SRH840. Of course the Shure is better but I like the 201 too for it intended purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back