Sennheiser HD201 - How Much power is needed?
Jan 30, 2011 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Lemiix

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys,
I have seen many great reviews about the Sennheiser HD201 on this forum, but one thing that has got me concerned is that many people say that this headphone need a lot of power for it to reach its max potential for best sound. My question is just roughly how much power does this headphone need?
I currently have a Surround Sound processor that outputs 35mW/ch. Is that enough for the Sennheiser HD201? And I'm also thinking about buying a new Surround Sound processor that outputs 70mW/ch.

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #4 of 8
Hmm I see. Ok, I'm going to go slightly against the advice given there and point out that the HD 201 is priced very low. At US$25 (http://www.headphone.com/headphones/sennheiser-hd-201.php) you can bet these are not marketed towards people who would ever think about a dedicated amp; therefore any AV receiver that you are planning to plug them into should be more than adequate.

I have tried them out on an iPod Classic about 1.5 years ago. I thought they were fantastic value for money--at the time. 
My advice to you is to buy from somewhere with a good return policy, so that you aren't stuck with them if you don't like them.

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #6 of 8
I'm not going to say that with absolute certainty, but I'm just showing you why you may want to be sceptical about it. 
If a headphones sells for $25, how much do you think its amp should cost?

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #7 of 8
IMO, they are very power hungry, 75/80% from a Ipod does not bode well...

Jan 31, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #8 of 8
you can drive them, not need more expensive equpement, but you will have to turn everything at louder volumes...
depends on how much watts for loudness, not for detail, in fact, the detail is based on Impedance, and on frequency response, which has became a really annoying thing.... because of these marketing, some are not really what the headphone can produce....

your sound may need more loudness, if the source is not enought, but anyway, it will not lack details, for more details at high levels, you need expensive sources + exepnsive headphones.... t
i don't exactly know if what you have pair exactly, but they sould be in a good team...

*edit*
from what you have, or what i understand that you have, no needing for worry...
if they sound not enought loud for you, it means not enought power, but probably will....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back