SENNHEISER HD-800 vs ULTRASONE ED-8
Jul 13, 2009 at 9:14 AM Post #31 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangerine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I made a moment ago a test with non audiophiles, 8 people in my office and let them hear on both headphones with the office computer iMAC WAV files.All of them clearly preferred the HD-800.A NICE test and maybe shows that i have become corrupted.

I applaud you. None of my co-workers know that I have this fetish.
ph34r.gif

It's like a coke vs. pepsi test (the non-blind version). Interesting results too. It would be interesting to know the age and music tastes of your co-workers. It would be even more interesting to see this test done on a larger scale. There are so many possibilities...

Thanks for sharing!

Jul 13, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #32 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree the PRaT tends to be insane with the ultrasones I have tried. Just is no match for them in that area... I think it´s the speed combined with the excellent detailed bass. They never miss a beat. Though HD 800 is mentioned to be fast as well so how do they compare in that department? Meaning which is faster or slower rather then which speed you preferr. Attack and decay. shorter decay=faster and more airy sounding headphones it seems. Probably the trick the ultrasones pull to sound like open headphones I suspect.

Definitely the Senns have more speed and attack but Ultrasone have more continuity its a softer or slower attack with ED-8 so you experience a longer delay wich gives a taste of drive.The people test is interesting does their opinion change when they have owned both headphones a year.

Jul 13, 2009 at 9:55 AM Post #33 of 55
Would call the ED8 buttery, smooth

Jul 13, 2009 at 10:39 AM Post #34 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by oak3x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would call the ED8 buttery, smooth

If the soundpicture would be larger in every aspect it would be the Orpheus so i call this headphone the mini Orpheus.This same creamyness is also evident in the real Orpheus and i unfortunately never got that headphone in full control.

Jul 13, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #35 of 55
Interesting. I suppose the Ed 8 is about the same speed as ultrasones other titanium/mylar driver driven headphones?. Hd 800 must be blistering fast then. Really annoying I will never get to hear any of these
frown.gif

Really cool blind test too.

Jul 13, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #36 of 55
The ED8 certainly struck me as very fast - not "slow" or sluggish in any way. I really want to get a real review audition on these.

Jul 13, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #37 of 55
Yes my Pro 750/Pro 900 is the speed benchmark of those I have heard. But do you agree that the HD 800 is even faster?

Jul 13, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #38 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But do you agree that the HD 800 is even faster?

From my VERY limited time with the ED8, yes, I would agree with this.

Jul 13, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #39 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ED8 certainly struck me as very fast - not "slow" or sluggish in any way. I really want to get a real review audition on these.

I agree with you creamyness in a positive way its not slow its just with colors wich is often related with slow components.Pass Labs amps are soft but they are insane fast, the HE-90 is creamy but not slow.But anyway have a audition its difficult to describe.

Jul 14, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #40 of 55
On my first report here Senns against Ultra i was describing the soundstructure and now i will discuss about the soundstage.The Ultrasone is designed mainly to be driven portable and the manufacturer also advertise it to be used this way.The first test was done in a portable way and the soundstage was average against the Sennheisers ultimate soundstage so Senns appeared to be clearly the winner The next followig test was made with the Silvercore amp.I had to call two of my headfi friends to wittness the followig features and they will maybe report it later on this forum.We hooked the Ultrasone side by side with the Sennheiser to the Silvercore amp and listened carefully.
The Ultrasone outperformed in soundstage the Senns ,the piano and other instruments appeared to be even bigger.(S-LOGIC)It was an odd feeling to "feel" objects witch where so outside the headphone evident as a hologram in the air.The Senns ultimate soundstage was surrounded here somehow by the drivers.This was a magical moment and i will discuss it later here and at this moment i am busy on this test......a really magical moment
Is there somebody out there that can hook this headphone into a transformer coupled triode amplifier to confirm this. S-LOGIC features
wich Ultrasone advertise worked out here.Check out this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VWatpJ_uuE

Jul 15, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #41 of 55
The following story might be the truth or imagination.When Axel Grell from Sennheiser began to develop a new concept for a headphone he was sitting in front of an nice stereo set up let's say a Wilson Mark Levinson combo.He listened carefully and noticed the nice 3 D stereo image and tried copy it to the coming headphone.He succeeded on this and could transfer the stereo set up to the headphone or let's say almost it doesn't have the rock solid basement of that combo.THe HD-800 was born.I like this way of presentation and have been used to listen to music this way .Some years ago the engineers where developing new concepts on this area and suddenly we had hometheater combos transfered to our homes.This was a new listening experience for all of us it gave a new dimension .Ultrasone was developing a concept wich they call as S- logic .The new S-logic system on headphones should give us the same experience as
our hometheaters a new listening experience.
Last night we were all time switching between HD-800 and Ed-8.I dare to say it here on this thread that the new Ultrasone could be the best ever dynamic headphone wich entered the surface of this planet. Last night the following features were evident with Silvercore.To get the ultimate listening experience you have to drive a decent amount of current to the ED-8.First you notice that the earcups disappeared completely and you have a "look out" scenery where all instrument had the largest sizes wich we have ever noticed from a headphone.Suddenly there appeared to be a holografic surround image as the performance could levitate but this was only clearly evident with good recordings as from ECM etc.This levitating surround soundpicture was not somehow grounded you have to get used to it .I myself like the grounded way because you have a feeling of control and it transfers the picture wich i was used to listen to.Although ED-8 performed this way it presented the music in a very balanced natural way.At the end of the auditions all of us preferred the ED-8.I will take next weekend the phones to my Headfi colleagues who own the Singlepower Supra and will make the test again the Supra has two output jacks so it will be easier.I am looking forward that the Supra will also show these features.Definitely both headphones have not shown itself as it's best and more hidden potentialities should be discovered

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #44 of 55
I had a chance to compare the ED8 and the HD800 at a meet recently.

Let's just say there is absolutely no comparison in my book.
When I was listening to these two headphones on the same system (zana deux) there was no doubt that the HD800 rocked the ed8 out of the water. I used to own a pair of ultrasone pro 900s and to be honest I thought they sounded as good if not better than the edition 8.

The HD800 has a wow factor for me, being so clear and transparent with an enormous soundstage and crystal clear detailing. The Ultrasone ED8 were to me just another high end closed headphone that didn't perform as well as their price would suggest. I had a chance to use the jvc dx1000 as well as the denon d7000s and both of them outperformed the ed8 in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back