SENNHEISER HD-800 vs ULTRASONE ED-8
Jul 10, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #16 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Townyj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is an Ultrasone
wink.gif

There is a lot of different Ultrasone models just like there is coloured senns, AKGs and Beyers
smily_headphones1.gif
Kee modded Pro 900 is about the most neutral and natural sounding headphones I have ever heard.

It sounds like I would like the Hd 800 better in the long run if the HD 650/DX 1000 experience is anything to go by. Colouration that works for a while but start to annoy you later on
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #18 of 55
Thanks for the review Tangerine!

Jul 10, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #20 of 55
That may have been your experience, but based on the price of each, it is a very logical comparison.

Jul 10, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #21 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by brat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD800 vs. E8
confused_face_2.gif

Based on my rough experiense you're comparing a Ferrari F430 to a VW Passat 7.
o2smile.gif

May be for speed and acceleration. Goose bump wise it might be upside down. I mean 'E8 vs. HD800'.
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #22 of 55
lol yeah which one of them is the fastest if we are continue with these car analogys
smily_headphones1.gif
. Talking attack and decay which is pretty much what determines speed or is there more involved in it? (except for cheating with less bass of course which is slow by nature).

Jul 11, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #23 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a lot of different Ultrasone models just like there is coloured senns, AKGs and Beyers
smily_headphones1.gif
Kee modded Pro 900 is about the most neutral and natural sounding headphones I have ever heard.

It sounds like I would like the Hd 800 better in the long run if the HD 650/DX 1000 experience is anything to go by. Colouration that works for a while but start to annoy you later on
smily_headphones1.gif

I have nothing against Ultrasone
smily_headphones1.gif
I actually find the sound of many of there phones to my liking. I should never of sold my pair of 780's because im considering buying another pair :/

Jul 12, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #24 of 55
I got to listen to the Ed 8 today, and was able to very briefly compare them to the HD800 on my Decware CSP-2. It was at a meet, and conditions were not ideal. But the Ed 8 sounded very good to these ears. I am going to try to get a pair to review.

I will say this - if an angel came down from heaven, and offered to give me one or the other for free, I would ask for the Ed 8, without any hesitation. But this is because they are more generally to my liking in terms of sonic signature - not because I necessarily think they are "better" (or even as good) as the HD800. I haven't had anything close to enough time with the Ed 8 to make any such evaluation.

Jul 12, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #25 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by seeing or hearing colors. Unless of course you are on LSD or have Synesthesia.
wink.gif

Hi PJ and tangerine,

I actually think tangerine is not talking about "colorations," but is probably talking about this thing that I rant about all the time: differentiation of tone color.

It would help to mention that composers refer to the different instruments in an orchestra as having different tone colors. A flute sounds different than a clarinet which sounds different than a violin. If you consider just the sustained portion of the note, and ignore the attack (how the note is started), then the differences are called the "timbres" of the instruments, and also just called the tone colors. In poor equipment, the tone colors can seem grayed-out, or seem all the same. For instance a piece might have a violin melody, and then a flute takes it over. But in poor equipment you hardly notice that the timbre has changed. Sure, if you focus your attention on it, you can tell it was a violin before and a flute now. But the change will lack impact and immediacy. On the other hand, when your system presents a change in tone color with lots of feeling and beauty, you know you have something special!

Those of us who love tube amps think that they differentiate tone color better than solid-state amps. That is a far different thing from saying they have colorations. To say they have a coloration would mean to say you are looking through rose-colored glasses. But to me, a good amp (tube or SS) is like looking through clear "reality glasses" that show all the colors of the world, while a poor amp is like looking through murky glasses.

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #27 of 55
The break in process of the Ultrasones shows that they get now wider soundstage in depht and from side to side.I am thinking a lot of these Ultrasones somehow they have a magic signature where you get addicted .I have made observations of my own behavior and i intuitionally pick up the Ultrasones over Senns.Somehow the Grado GS-1000 has also this feature if you own the right amping.Everybody should also hear the drive of the Ultrasones and the timing of the rhythm.Old Electrocompaniet amps had also this magic.Audiophile terms become here a secondary meaning .Its not possible to analyze what this magic is its there or its not there

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #28 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangerine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The break in process of the Ultrasones shows that they get now wider soundstage in depht and from side to side.I am thinking a lot of these Ultrasones somehow they have a magic signature where you get addicted .I have made observations of my own behavior and i intuitionally pick up the Ultrasones over Senns.Somehow the Grado GS-1000 has also this feature if you own the right amping.Everybody should also hear the drive of the Ultrasones and the timing of the rhythm.Old Electrocompaniet amps had also this magic.Audiophile terms become here a secondary meaning .Its not possible to analyze what this magic is its there or its not there

Hmm.

Instinctively/intentionally reaching...

Skylab like's them...

Okay, I'm going to delete the HE90 and add the Edition 8 to the list of phones that I want to try and possibly own.
biggrin.gif

Jul 13, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #29 of 55
I agree the PRaT tends to be insane with the ultrasones I have tried. Just is no match for them in that area... I think it´s the speed combined with the excellent detailed bass. They never miss a beat. Though HD 800 is mentioned to be fast as well so how do they compare in that department? Meaning which is faster or slower rather then which speed you preferr. Attack and decay. shorter decay=faster and more airy sounding headphones it seems. Probably the trick the ultrasones pull to sound like open headphones I suspect.

Jul 13, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #30 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree the PRaT tends to be insane with the ultrasones I have tried. Just is no match for them in that area... I think it´s the speed combined with the excellent detailed bass. They never miss a beat. Though HD 800 is mentioned to be fast as well so how do they compare in that department? Meaning which is faster or slower rather then which speed you preferr. Attack and decay. shorter decay=faster and more airy sounding headphones it seems. Probably the trick the ultrasones pull to sound like open headphones I suspect.

I made a moment ago a test with non audiophiles, 8 people in my office and let them hear on both headphones with the office computer iMAC WAV files.All of them clearly preferred the HD-800.A NICE test and maybe shows that i have become corrupted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back