Sennheiser HD 800 vs Stax Omega 2 (SR-007) Mk 2 - Help me decide!
Sep 19, 2010 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

keysersoze311

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Just wondering about the difference in sound quality between these 2 headphones. Price isn't too much of a decider here, have been saving for a 'proper' hifi for a while, but now considering headphones as a possible alternative. I understand I will be more limited in my choice of amplifier if I go with the electorstatic Stax Omega (also known as the SR-007 mk2). Also, is the old Omega 2 MK 1 worth it? Some seem to prefer it to the new model. I'd prefer buying new to be honest.

So yeah, is one of these headphones clearly superior, or is it more about taste at this level?

Sennheiser or Stax?

Any input would be great.

Are there any other headphones you would recommend I look into?

To be honest I'm prepared to pay up to £2500 GBP for some headphones, the HD 800 are £1000, and the Stax are £1500, but it doesn't seem there's much choice at this level, unfortunately.

How's the bass on the Stax, is it an issue (being electrostatic), or can it compete with the HD 800?

Cheers,

Keyser

Sep 19, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 12
I have the mk1 and haven't heard the mk2. Bass on my stax is better than the hd800. I tried both just yesterday.
My music choice is generally electronic/dance/trance/soundtracks

The 3 people including me who have heard my stax/ges combo vs hd800, all preferred stax over the hd800.

Comfort wise stax wins easily over the hd800 but the hd800 is very comfortable too.

Personally the stax + at least a mid level amp is better than hd800 + whatever amp

The other headphone you should look into is the beyer T1 since quite a few consider it better than the hd800. See the other thread titled hd800 vs t1 musings...

Sep 19, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #4 of 12
Like I mentioned I haven't tried the mk2 so can't comment on that aspect but yeah that's the general consensus from what I have read on this forum

Sep 19, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #5 of 12
mid bass hump is not an issue for me. it all boils down to your choice of music, if you're into classical, go with dynamic, in this case hd800, me (as stats fanboy) and my friend (as hd800 fanboy) have both come to truce and agreed (after 3 centuries of war) that it all boils down to music preference. the only thing that hd800 won vs o2 is the sound stage, and this IMHO is quite important for classical music.

One more thing you need to note is that stats amp are not as readily available as dynamic amp. Buying used or lead time of 4-6 months is your only choice when it come for stats amp.

Sep 19, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #8 of 12
I borrowed priyajeet's Omega 2/Woo GES to compare against my HD800/HDP combo and for me it was no contest, the Stax are in a different league, highly detailed yet ultra smooth. Bass was deep and powerfull, much more satisfying than the HD 800s (was not expecting that). Both headphones are quite comfortable, the Stax had a bit of an edge here too... I almost wish I hadn't borrowed the Omegas since I now want them but can't really afford them right now...

Drew

Sep 19, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #9 of 12
The premise of this thread is very flawed. You really have no way of auditioning these headphones with decent equipment?

Imo and ime, headphones are the most personal aspect of the hobby; it's nothing like recommending a good amp or DAC based on design. You simply never know until you hear for yourself.

Sep 19, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #11 of 12
It would be helpful to know about your experience with headphones, and the type(s) of music you prefer.  
smile_phones.gif

Sep 19, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
Yeah I know, I am gonna do everything in my power to demo, but thought I'd get some pointers here first, see if there were any others I should look into.

Yeah, those 2 are right near the top as far as current production goes. There's also the JH13/16 and LCD-2, as well as my favorite little dark horse, the AD2000. Unfortunately, amp requirements vary so much between the O2, JH, and others. It's a pretty tough call to make even after auditioning. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back