Sennheiser HD 800 VS Grado PS 1000
Sep 4, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #76 of 202
In spite of all the above, get the Beats - You know you want to.............. Dr. Dre will love you....

Sep 5, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #78 of 202
Quote:
Seems like group think is quite common in meet conditions?. Why is there more consensus in meet conditions then when everyone listens at home on different headphones?

Noticed this quite a few times regarding different headphones every time everyone unite against or for :)

I have noticed this too. Meets are good, but I think they contribute quite a bit to consensus-style thinking at Head-Fi. They give people the impression that they have "heard" a headphone, when in many cases I think it is hard to judge a headphone unless you hear it in the conditions you are familiar with. Too many variables.

Quote:

I think if Blade007 really likes music and really wants good headphones for his music, well just get your pro900 for hip hop...

I almost recommended the Edition 8 or PRO 900 too, but he seemed dead set on the Sennheisers or Grados. Serious or not, the Edition 8 seems to fit his criteria better than anything else I am aware of.

Sep 5, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #79 of 202
The bassiest headphones I've ever heard of any type (dynamic, electrostatic, etc) have been the AKG K340. Amp that bad boy with something like the Schiit Lyr and prepare for serious bass overload.
L3000.gif
(Not that I've heard the Lyr, but it'd be my budget-oriented amp of choice for a 400 Ohm headphone.)

Sep 5, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #80 of 202

Quote:
Why don't you make a list of sound related pros and cons of your SR60.  There is no best.  Only preference.  Best way to tell us your preference is to make this kind of list about a well known phone that you own like the SR60.  If you have others, do it for them as well. 

Here bruv -

Grado SR60i

Pros - Punchy bass, open wide dynamic sound, warmth compared to other ones, lows more defined and fuller, highs were slightly less tinny and mid range flowed perfectly/ no seams.

Cons - Uncomfortable, thick cord/ bulky

Quote:
Quote:

I almost recommended the Edition 8 or PRO 900 too, but he seemed dead set on the Sennheisers or Grados. Serious or not, the Edition 8 seems to fit his criteria better than anything else I am aware of.

Is pro 900 better than HD 800 / LCD-2/ PS 1000? It's just that I prefer sennheiser and grados.

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #84 of 202
I WILL.

And, I don't really care about the unbelievers here. If I was making up ****, I wouldn't be taking this seriously, that's why I want to gather all the info I can so that I can make up my mind. Just came here to get suggestions and to be honest they were good enough to convince me. :D

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #85 of 202
The Edition 8 is slightly better headphone than the HD800 IMO. People who care about meeting impressions are often those, who faced there better equipment than their own used at home. This is also a case when there is something better than they had heard to that date. So then they are sure about validity of their opinion. I've spent lots of time with the HD800, T1, E10, E8, PS1000, GS1000 and many others at home and sometimes in a shop but only with expensive components because otherwise that would be a waste of time for me, so I plugged the Edition 10, PS1000, HD800 and T1 to for instance Accuphase C-3800, Cary SLI-80 or Leben CS300XS. I have also better, believe or not, amps on hand now. I form my opinion as an averaged result from both home and store listening sessions. Each time I mean the best gear combination when I express my opinion, not the same equipment each time. And based on this - PS1000 and Edition 10 are a higher class than T1, HD800 or HE-500. The latter just fall short in delivering improvement when moving to high class equipment. They stop at some level and don't scale any higher. I verified it with my friends having the K1000 on hand which capabilities are also bigger than Senn's or Beyer's.

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #86 of 202
Hi blade007

I have both the PS1000 and the HD800 running them both out of an EAR HP4 modded headphone amp. The EAR has both low and high impedance outlets so I can listen to each at the appropriate  impedance level. To my ears the PS1000 is a very bright headphone compared to the HD800. The soundstage is clearly better with the HD800 but has less aggression than the PS1000. However, I find the bass impact of the PS1000s fairly fatiguing compared with the HD800 which have a more natural presentation. The brightness of the PS1000 also over exaggerates the high end and contributes to the fatigue (I feel my ears are being assaulted from both the highs and the lows). The PS1000s are also very dependent upon the source recordings and performs well with particularly good recordings and is less forgiving with poor ones. Due to this, in my set-up, I find I can only listen to the PS1000s for short periods. For extended listening, a more relaxed presentation with an open and more realistic soundstage the HD800 is the one I would select of the two.

For what it is worth, I also have the Audeze LCD-2 rev.2 and if it a stronger bass presence that you are looking for, I can recommend you try these as another alternative to the HD800.

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #87 of 202
Quote:
Here bruv -

Grado SR60i

Pros - Punchy bass, open wide dynamic sound, warmth compared to other ones, lows more defined and fuller, highs were slightly less tinny and mid range flowed perfectly/ no seams.

Cons - Uncomfortable, thick cord/ bulky

Seems like you like the sound of the SR60i.

graphCompare.php

The PS1000 isn't much like the SR60i, don't be fooled by the brand name. They have a much larger mid-bass hump, less upper mid-range, and higher treble peaks at lower frequencies, which may make them sound harsher. The HD800 has a big dip in the upper mid-range, so while it doesn't have more treble than the SR60i, it's going to sound like it does. The LCD-2 might not have enough treble if you want the same amount as the SR60i, but it will be least harsh and warmest. Every Audez'e-made graph of the LCD-2 has shown more treble at 10kHz than this does, so don't put absolute faith in the measurements of any of these headphones.

As you move up Grado's product line, the mid-range and treble gets peakier. If you like seamless mid-range and smooth treble, I wouldn't upgrade that way. You could maybe find a used HF-2, which isn't as bright (brighter than SR60i) and is bassier than other Grados. They make good hip-hop cans. They're even less comfortable and have a thicker cord.

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #88 of 202
i had one ps-1000 and two sennheiser hd-800(and one lcd-2, one dx-1000, one edition 10, and others cans).
my favourite? audeze lcd-2
biggrin.gif

in my opinion(and some friends of mine) the ps-1000 is overpriced and have a serious problem with low frequencies.
i forgot one thing: ps-1000 and hd-800 are two different worlds

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #89 of 202
From my experience with the PS1000, which I own now, and the Prestige and Reference models, of which I own a couple now and have had others in the past, the PS1000 is less harsh. To my ears, the peak around 2khz that is characteristic of the Prestige and Reference series that makes them exciting is what makes them susceptible to harshness. The PS1000 doesn't have this hump and to me are the easier listen, despite being accentuated higher up the spectrum. The PS1000 presents a smoother and more laid back presentation by comparison. At high volumes they get fatiguing, but less so than those models that use bowl pads in my opinion. From what I understand, most peoples ears are typically more sensitive to the 2-5khz band than 5-10khz, so a bump at around 2-4khz would be perceived as more harsh than those in the low treble.

I find that deep valleys in midrange response in the two octaves spanning from 1-4khz really makes rock music sound too placid for my tastes. Since the OP is planning to listen to rap, this probably isn't a consideration. I would also recommend the Ultrasone Edition 8 for this task given it's low end punch and extension. I wouldn't expect the the top Sennheisers or Grados would be the right choice for the genre, though I'll agree that the HF-2 might be the best choice for a Grado. I haven't heard the LCD-2, but from what I've gleaned from posts and graphs, I think that I'd choose it over a Sennheiser or Grado if I was looking for an appropriate can for exclusively rap listening.

Sep 6, 2011 at 6:14 AM Post #90 of 202
From my experience, the hd800s are better with suitable amplification, which is imo necessary once you get either of these headphones (or any others in thsi price range)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back