Sennheiser HD 800 VS Grado PS 1000
Sep 2, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #47 of 202
I'm thinking you should check out the HiFiMAN HE-6, which could be a real contender in this game of "which companies most expensive products are worth buying."  Here's a thread for you to read with Sennheiser and Audeze comparison

http://www.head-fi.org/t/496130/audeze-lcd2-vs-sennheiser-hd800

Sep 3, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #48 of 202
LCD2 is probably better than the HD800 or PS1000 if you're an old-school hip-hop fan like your profile indicates.  I was in your shoes two months ago and was about to shell out for a PS1000 until I went and demoed some equipment, and ended up with an O2 instead.  If I didn't go for the O2, I would have ended up with the LCD2 or HD800.  If you're looking at $200-400 headphones, I think Grados are a top-5 choice, but the competitiveness drops off sharply once you get into the flagship tier.

I wouldn't get the PS1000 unless you absolutely love the Grado sound, and I also second what people here say about demoing first.  Last but not least, as TMoney stated, resale value is going to be poor for the PS1000 if you decide you want to recoup your investment.

Anyway, I'm speaking as a big fan of J Dilla, Pete Rock, Premier, and RZA production, and my hip-hop playlist consists of everything from Big L to Little Brother.  For hip-hop, I'd go for a warm, analog sound, which is why I'd immediately default to the LCD2.

What amp are you using or plan to use?  Also, solid state or tube?  That would also probably inform the decision quite a bit.

Not sure what's with the hip-hop hate.  The point of expensive audio gear is to have fun with whatever you love listening to.  Hip-hop sounds awesome on my 'stats
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 3, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #49 of 202
The best Cans I've heard with those Genre (old school hiphop,RnB) are the LCD2 classic or rev1.
They  can even compete with the Sr009 (They're the only Genres ,I prefer LCD2 to the Sr009).(I've tried them side by side and accidentally I've listend to RnB a lot)
The rev2 are very good,still I've found the Classic better. (Bass in general)

Sep 3, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #50 of 202

Quote:
LCD2 is probably better than the HD800 or PS1000 if you're an old-school hip-hop fan like your profile indicates.  I was in your shoes two months ago and was about to shell out for a PS1000 until I went and demoed some equipment, and ended up with an O2 instead.  If I didn't go for the O2, I would have ended up with the LCD2 or HD800.  If you're looking at $200-400 headphones, I think Grados are a top-5 choice, but the competitiveness drops off sharply once you get into the flagship tier.

I wouldn't get the PS1000 unless you absolutely love the Grado sound, and I also second what people here say about demoing first.  Last but not least, as TMoney stated, resale value is going to be poor for the PS1000 if you decide you want to recoup your investment.

Anyway, I'm speaking as a big fan of J Dilla, Pete Rock, Premier, and RZA production, and my hip-hop playlist consists of everything from Big L to Little Brother.  For hip-hop, I'd go for a warm, analog sound, which is why I'd immediately default to the LCD2.

What amp are you using or plan to use?  Also, solid state or tube?  That would also probably inform the decision quite a bit.

Not sure what's with the hip-hop hate.  The point of expensive audio gear is to have fun with whatever you love listening to.  Hip-hop sounds awesome on my 'stats
smily_headphones1.gif

I definitely love my sr60i that's one of the reasons ps 1000 is holding me back. I heard ps 1000 is better than hd 800 when it comes to bass and that's something I definitely want. Ye, there are many people who have problem with hip hop, i mean it's not like i m listening to those mainstream clowns with no talent. Big L is the man. :D

So, you reckon - LCD-2 > HD 800 > PS 1000?

I m gonna use tube amp especially due to their warmth, though not that crazy over an amp. Wouldn't mind using solid state but IMO tube would be better for me.

Everyone here is suggesting LCD-2 for some reason. Is it that good?

Has anyone here tried Sennheiser Orpheus? The headphone is like worth 15k. lol That would probably be 2x better than these ones.

Sep 3, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #51 of 202

Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

l'm in the process of part exchanging my headphone system which consisted of  SR-007 Mk1, SRM-007t and an Esoteric x-03se in order to get SR-009's and a K-01, and l'm getting more for the SR-007's which l bought about 10 years ago, than what l payed for them.

Sep 3, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #52 of 202
Hah, I can't speak to the SR009, but I have a feeling I'll find some way to get a SR009 into my hands next year :)

Big L is sick, especially his freestyles (the one he did with Jay-Z will never get old).  Did you hear the 2 hour tribute Premo did for Big L?  It's amazing.

Yeah, I love the Grados too, but they only go so far.  I haven't heard the PS1000, but I have heard the RS1i and GS1000, and there just wasn't enough of an improvement for it to be worth it to me.  The LCD2s opened my eyes.  I listen to a lot of electronic music so the LCD2 wasn't crisp enough for my tastes, but if I listened mostly to hip-hop and R&B (particularly 90s R&B... old Aaliyah, Janet, Mariah, Mary J, Total, etc.), I think the LCD2s would be the ideal set of headphones.

A LCD2 and tube setup would make you really, really happy.  Don't get the HD800 and PS1000.  Put the money to a Cavalli Liquid Fire or some other awesome tube amp.  It's the closest way you can get to vinyl without actually going there.

From what I've heard about the Orpheus, I think they would suck for hip-hop.

Sep 3, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #53 of 202
Quote:
l'm in the process of part exchanging my headphone system which consisted of  SR-007 Mk1, SRM-007t and an Esoteric x-03se in order to get SR-009's and a K-01, and l'm getting more for the SR-007's which l bought about 10 years ago, than what l payed for them.

You're going to give some people some real _____ envy with that setup!  I'm headed for the Alpha USB -> Alpha DAC -> BHSE -> SR-007A (though am considering swapping the Alpha DAC for a DAC202), and will probably eventually swap out the SR-007A with a SR-009.  I think I'll be satisfied with electrostats after that, and will go back to checking out what Audeze and HiFi have cooked up to build a nice secondary dynamic setup for more bass and soundstage.

Would like to hear what you think about the K-01 after you've lived with it for awhile.  I was considering a D-03 but think the Alpha DAC or DAC202 would be a better way to go given my listening preferences.

Sep 3, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #54 of 202
You seem to have fun up here, but I am starting doubting that you really get any of them, ever. This will become just another pollutant thread, actually, already is.

Sep 3, 2011 at 4:58 AM Post #55 of 202

Quote:
You're going to give some people some real _____ envy with that setup!  I'm headed for the Alpha USB -> Alpha DAC -> BHSE -> SR-007A (though am considering swapping the Alpha DAC for a DAC202), and will probably eventually swap out the SR-007A with a SR-009.  I think I'll be satisfied with electrostats after that, and will go back to checking out what Audeze and HiFi have cooked up to build a nice secondary dynamic setup for more bass and soundstage.

Would like to hear what you think about the K-01 after you've lived with it for awhile.  I was considering a D-03 but think the Alpha DAC or DAC202 would be a better way to go given my listening preferences.

Hi Elysian,
Although l've given my headphone system now to use as part exchange, it won't be until March next year before l have the rest of the money needed to buy the two l've mentioned, well at least the K-01, Jack Lawson the audio dealer where l'm eventually getting the K-01 from, told me he'd probably get more for my gear if he had plenty of time to sell it, which is true because like l said l'm getting more for SR-007's than what l payed for them, regarding the SQ l'm hoping to receive from the SR-009's, BHSE, and K-01, l can only speculate, simply because while l've heard the K-01 which is outstanding, l've never heard the other two, so l can only go by the reviews l've read, Electrostatic headphones are more suited to the genre of music l listen to which is mainly acoustic, the one l listen to the most is Mike Oldfield, a very talented man, until March l only have the Shure se535's, Pico Slim and ipod to use but those three still give a decent SQ, but until then l guess March is going to drag somewhat.

David.

Sep 3, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #57 of 202
Rap and hip-hop? Why not consider a Beyerdynamic DT-770 or one of the Denon models? All of those can be modded in various ways, if that's what you want.

I'll bite my tongue about the modders.

Sep 3, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #58 of 202
I'm seeing a post coming asking for 1 amp to support those 3 headphones, and 1000 replies "get these 3 amps". Unless you are going to spend those efforts (and enjoy the process), you will suffer.

Just an example how 1 simple question expands. I respect how Tim was determine to look for his right sound, but this is probably not something I can afford financially, or time wise.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/515546/k702-k701-amp-dac-suggestions-budget-300-400-total

Like most experts have advised, picking 1 headphone would probably be hassle less. Headphone purchase is just the beginning.

Sep 3, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #60 of 202

Quote:
Sorry, the last thing l want to do is get in the way or upset anyone.

The problem here is that people who listen to music as in musical instruments and voice have a hard time equating people who chant in a monotone as being musical.

Even acapella singers have different notes they sing.

Rhythm by itself is not music.

So, to each - his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back