Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Sep 24, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #616 of 9,327
all things aside, these are the headphones that I think would do anything you want them to do, or be in my case. If you want them to punch out massive amounts of bass, such as the levels and impact found on the Beats by Dre crap, the HD 700 will do it. All you have to do is crank the bass in foobar's EQ all the way up. It'll do just that, while keeping the incredible clarity of the mids and highs. Something to do with the ventilated magnet I believe.

Sep 25, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #617 of 9,327
So, I picked up some HD700's a couple days ago.  Slightly on the fence about keeping them.  I listened to them at the store 4 times for ~20min ea.  I listened to quite a few other cans as well, but for some reason kept coming back to these.  The comfort is one of the first things that got me I think.  I've never worn a more comfortable set of headphones.  I like the sound sig for the most part, even though it is markedly different that the Shure SE846 I'm used to.  I thought I had read a post where someone was using these with a CEntrance DACport or DACmini.  I'm about to pull the trigger on a DACmini CX to run out of my computer, and wanted to know if the (generally)neutral-to-slightly warm Centrance settled down the treble a bit.  I actually kind of like the treble if a guy could just knock the sibilance down a notch or two.  When using foobar, and knocking the eq down ~-3db in the treble range, I really enjoy these.  If the CEntrance piece could tame them down just a hair, I think it would be a great setup.  Any other ideas?

Side note:  I am choosing the DACmini CX for the 1ohm headphone out/low gain mod (so its not so sensitive using my Shure's, which have a 9ohm impedance).  The only other piece I think that would fit my space/needs is the Burson conductor, at twice the price....(Even though it does use the highly touted ESS Sabre DAC)

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #619 of 9,327
So, I picked up some HD700's a couple days ago.  Slightly on the fence about keeping them.  I listened to them at the store 4 times for ~20min ea.  I listened to quite a few other cans as well, but for some reason kept coming back to these.  The comfort is one of the first things that got me I think.  I've never worn a more comfortable set of headphones.  I like the sound sig for the most part, even though it is markedly different that the Shure SE846 I'm used to.  I thought I had read a post where someone was using these with a CEntrance DACport or DACmini.  I'm about to pull the trigger on a DACmini CX to run out of my computer, and wanted to know if the (generally)neutral-to-slightly warm Centrance settled down the treble a bit.  I actually kind of like the treble if a guy could just knock the sibilance down a notch or two.  When using foobar, and knocking the eq down ~-3db in the treble range, I really enjoy these.  If the CEntrance piece could tame them down just a hair, I think it would be a great setup.  Any other ideas?

Side note:  I am choosing the DACmini CX for the 1ohm headphone out/low gain mod (so its not so sensitive using my Shure's, which have a 9ohm impedance).  The only other piece I think that would fit my space/needs is the Burson conductor, at twice the price....(Even though it does use the highly touted ESS Sabre DAC)

If my experience with the Burson 160DS was anything to go by, you don't want a Burson. Not only were my 40ohm PRO2900s too low impedance for it, but it's a bright/forward sounding amp. I don't have any experience with the CEntrance products; but from what I do know they sound like a good match.

Sep 27, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #620 of 9,327
I've been spending a lot of my time recently with my HD-500 but just picked up an iPhone 5S so I pulled out the 700. I had completely forgotten how good they sound straight out of an iPhone. I'm not sure what DA the iPhone uses, but these cans just sound great! What a gift to own them!

Sep 28, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #622 of 9,327
Sep 29, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #624 of 9,327
Don't suppose anyone know if it's possible to do anything with the sibilance? Like toning it down or something with some sort of dac/amp combo? Had them for about a year now, and still super happy with them, but the sibilance problem has always bothered me a bit, not a big deal, but if it's possible do something about, i would really like to give it a try.

Sep 29, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #625 of 9,327
Don't suppose anyone know if it's possible to do anything with the sibilance? Like toning it down or something with some sort of dac/amp combo? Had them for about a year now, and still super happy with them, but the sibilance problem has always bothered me a bit, not a big deal, but if it's possible do something about, i would really like to give it a try.

Not sure but i think read somewhere that a kind of mod using a special cut piece of felt helped to dampen the treble. Was originally used on the HD800 but a different version came around for the HD700.

Sep 29, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #626 of 9,327
Don't suppose anyone know if it's possible to do anything with the sibilance?  Like toning it down or something with some sort of dac/amp combo? Had them for about a year now, and still super happy with them, but the sibilance problem has always bothered me a bit, not a big deal, but if it's possible do something about, i would really like to give it a try.

A little bit of work with an eq worked well for me. Downside is not every music player has an eq,  like when I listen to Mog. 

Sep 29, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #629 of 9,327

I tried a different pair of interconnects between DAC & amp lessened it a bit (not what I was trying to do but noticed nonetheless). I went from Mark Grant G1000HD to Chord Cadenza Reference...

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #630 of 9,327
I did the foam mod but used sticky craft felt from Hobby Lobby. Worked great. I also made a custom cord - I wanted to use it w my iPhone, so I bought a Shure iem cable w apple controls and put HD700 connectors on it (2.5mm mono plugs). Works like a charm and lowers the sibilance a hair. Between these two, I'm very happy and I'm pretty sensitive to sibilance. I do notice that it can be a problem if I turn them up too loud, but at reasonable listening levels, they're great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back