Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Mar 12, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #451 of 9,320
@Mark, regarding the AD8397 op amp, I'd be interested in trying that in my Xonar ST, but it's a SOIC-8 - is that correct? The Xonar uses DIP-8 op amps. I know there are adapters and such, but I don't even own a soldering iron, yet... Actually, at a not-too-distant future time I'd like to change my caps and oscillator crystal. Evidently the Xonar moves a couple rungs up the DAC ladder with these upgrades.

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #452 of 9,320
@Mark, regarding the AD8397 op amp, I'd be interested in trying that in my Xonar ST, but it's a SOIC-8 - is that correct? The Xonar uses DIP-8 op amps. I know there are adapters and such, but I don't even own a soldering iron, yet... Actually, at a not-too-distant future time I'd like to change my caps and oscillator crystal. Evidently the Xonar moves a couple rungs up the DAC ladder with these upgrades.

Yes, I have it mounted on an adapter. They are for sale that way. I believe you can get one from Practical Devices. As to changing out caps and crystals without soldering experience and test equip. in a DAC, I would not recommend it.

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #453 of 9,320
I couldn't resist trying it out sooner rather than later:

PC running Foobar with ASIO output ---> Asus Xonar ST PCI card DAC ---> Little Dot mkIII pre-amp ---> Rhinelander amp ---> HD-700's

1) Low noise floor
2) Power to spare
3) Well-defined bass
4) Crisp and clear high-end
5) Only a touch of that ol' person mid-range spike with certain types of music, e.g., piano jazz, played at a higher volume

Fundamentally, it sounds GREAT! 

Mark - thanks again for your advice and like totally WOW! 

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #454 of 9,320
I'd like to acquire some DIY chops and am thinking about devising a "practice" project, something like changing the caps in an old piece of gear. If I screw it up, it won't matter.

Would anyone be able to recommend a good website or a YouTube tutorial on this kinda stuff? I found what seems to be an excellent step-by-step video on how to assemble a Bottlehead Crack, but I don't have a BHC kit...

My goal would be to develop the skills required to change the caps and crystal in a PC sound card. 

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #456 of 9,320
Hey guys! It's my first post so do be kind!

I've picked up my HD700s and love them. I actually picked up a DAC magic plus a week before as I wanted something to match my B&ws P5s but walking into my local HiFi setup made me realize the P5s were pretty much well. Rubbish.

The layering on the 700s blew me away and it was just so easy to listen to on the Dacmagic. I could hear every detail from the Batman soundtrack which was a muddled mess on my B&Ws. They are also immensely easy to wear, and I quickly upgraded my purchase from the 650s I originally came in to purchase.

One thing I am missing is the P5s base on electro pop while it doesn't have the layering the Hd700s don't have that "shoompt" for lack of a better word given they are open heads.

I'd love to keep the 700s as one of my primary heads and a secondary far superior closed headset (as I feel it should have more bass- I may be wrong here) which will be high end ish and non portable.

What would recommendations be? A denon 7100, audio technica aht 3000, or a fostex 900? I'd love to have something that's distinctly different from the 700s (I maybe being a little silly as the 700s are well great, and I still have my p5s)

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #457 of 9,320
Don't have the others to compare but the noise floor is very, very low on the Lyr.  Have to turn it up to 2-3 o'clock before I can hear any noise at all.  Pretty much zero at even high listening levels.  The only time I've had any real noise is with bad tubes.
Quote:
One thing I forgot to ask, there has been comments about a higher noise floor with the Lyr as compared to the Asgaard or Vahalla.  How are you finding this with your 700's?  Does it seem to vary significantly with tube choice?

Since I have to wait for a while before I can evaluate the Asgaard2, I picked up a Lyr based in part upon your report. This unit was built in early 2011. I noticed with the volume turned down to zero and no source that I can hear a faint hum in the 700s. It does not get louder with volume. Do you experience this?

Mar 15, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #458 of 9,320
how do these compare the hd800?

I see you have not gotten a response. I have only auditioned the HD800s when I was comparing to the 700s. I was using Sennheiser's new amp. The 700s just sounded "right" to me. The 800s sounded tilted up and in many ways like my Stax Lambdas. I was looking for more and extended low end though still having an open design. I am not anywhere near a basshead and want monitor quality in my transducers. I feel the 700s do this well and are easier to drive but do benefit from a top notch amp. Also they were a much better value at $730.

Mar 15, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #459 of 9,320
Nope. Nada. Dead quiet with my Amperex tubes.  I do recall my Mullards generating some low level hum.  It's probably tube dependant.  Do you have any other tubes you can roll?
Quote:
Since I have to wait for a while before I can evaluate the Asgaard2, I picked up a Lyr based in part upon your report. This unit was built in early 2011. I noticed with the volume turned down to zero and no source that I can hear a faint hum in the 700s. It does not get louder with volume. Do you experience this?

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #460 of 9,320
Quote:
Nope. Nada. Dead quiet with my Amperex tubes.  I do recall my Mullards generating some low level hum.  It's probably tube dependant.  Do you have any other tubes you can roll?

I emailed Jason and he confirmed that with some tubes there will be residual hum as the volume control is before the gain stage. I got some tubes with unit and tried the original JJ's and a pair of Lorenz 6922's. I do have a pair of Mullard's and Amperex's as well that I will try now that I know the topology. Glad to hear quiet can be attained as my initial few hours have been most enjoyable! Which Amperex's are you using?

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #461 of 9,320
That's pretty much what I thought.  I'm using 1969 Orange Globes with the Dimple Getter right now.  I'm not so much into rolling but do have 5 or 6 sets of tubes.  These seem to work for me.  Give the nature of tubes, I would guess that even out of the same batch, if stored or handled differently, they might sound a little different or also generate some hum.  Who knows how they age after 40-50 years.  Just roll until you're happy!

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #462 of 9,320
There's been a lot of talk about the "brightness" of the 700s. I just made my first cable swap (soldered a pair of 2.5mm mono plugs onto a Shure iPhone control iem cable) and noticed a fairly substantial reduction in the "sibilance" frequencies of the phones. Soudstage, overall tone, snd air are all still intact. I think that a good quality OCC cable instead of the stock cable could be just the ticket for someone that loves the phones but is sensitive to sibilance (as I have been).

I haven't seen much talk of aftermarket cables with these 700s, so I figured I'd throw this out there. If anyone has a cable that has made significant difference to them, please post details. I'd like to explore this more...

Apr 13, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #463 of 9,320
Which 2.5mm connectors did you use? Did you need to modify them to fully insert due to the keyed hole? I have been using mine with a Lyr and XM6 and have heard no exaggerated top end or brightness not in the source.

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #464 of 9,320
I've been also toying around with an aftermarket cable swap to see if that would alter the HD700s from the stock cable. The problem is that I currently don't see any need to do that in my setup and the cable is not going to alter the sound signature by any whopping measurable/listenable degree that would alter how it sounds significantly. It'll likely be minor changes at best.

smcginni, how much of a change would you say your custom cable made to how they sound? What degree?

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #465 of 9,320
I have discovered something interesting about the Schiit Lyr + HD700. I have been trying to fine a tube set that would eliminate a low level hum that I hear but is not heard by others who are using the same combination. Now it turns out the the Lyr I have is one of the early production that did not have the mute relay that was added in late 2011 as far as I can tell. Examining pictures of the board layout between the two versions I noted some changes to the location of the caps around the tube sockets and what appears to be grounding changes. Now I know parts may have had to be moved for the relay but on a hunch, I picked up a second Lyr that was produced in 2012 and has the relay. What do you know the hum is gone even with my favorite tubes - Stuttgart Lorenez PCC88s! If we weren't using such efficient headphones this would not be an issue, as both amps sound identical.  Looks, like I found my combination 
biggrin.gif
 and will be selling my original Lyr with a nice assortment of tubes. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back