Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Nov 12, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #8,686 of 9,320
I agree with this sentiment. Not a good match with the magni 3. If you want a good cheap amp to upgrade i wholehearted recommend the Cavalli tube hybrid and they are selling for very check via this site. Also cheap eBay for these headphones, they are way cheaper (new) than on Amazon
While I have not heard the Magni 3, I can state the the HD700 sounded somewhat harsh with the Magni 2U, my main amp when I got the HD700. (Though the Magni 3 is a completely different amp with little or no relation to the Magni 2 other than chassis size, I suspect it is still not the best match with the HD700.) The HD700 sounded much better with the LD MK III and even better with the Schiit Valhalla 2 and the MCTH.

Nov 13, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #8,687 of 9,320
While I have not heard the Magni 3, I can state the the HD700 sounded somewhat harsh with the Magni 2U, my main amp when I got the HD700. (Though the Magni 3 is a completely different amp with little or no relation to the Magni 2 other than chassis size, I suspect it is still not the best match with the HD700.) The HD700 sounded much better with the LD MK III and even better with the Schiit Valhalla 2 and the MCTH.

I'll second this, I had the Magni 2 and it is not the amp for the HD700. I also have the Valhalla and it is a way better pairing.

Nov 16, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #8,689 of 9,320
I have noticed that the price of the HD 700s has been dropping recently on Amazon. Today it is listed at $436.84 .
The price always fluctuates for whatever reason. I bought these new at B&H about a year and a half ago for $420 (the Amazon price that day was exactly the same but I could pick them up physically at B&H). About a week later, the price at both retailers was briefly only $400.

Nov 16, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #8,690 of 9,320
Okay.. So i have this doubt.

I loved my hd700s despite its crazy sibiltent nature for some genres of music (I would say I lived with it) . But then after 6 months of ownership I found this headfi thread about eqing the hd700s to sounds flat ( flatten the peak). Oh my days.. Things sounded much much transparent,, infact it gave the cans a massive open sound stage. So currently I'm in love with my purchase more than ever. But I've been hearing that hd660s is a better version of the 700. Is this true? People tend to bash the 700s left right and center without knowing crap about it let alone owning it.

Can i get a decent feedback on these two? Are the stories true?

Thank you.

Nov 17, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #8,691 of 9,320
Okay.. So i have this doubt.

I loved my hd700s despite its crazy sibiltent nature for some genres of music (I would say I lived with it) . But then after 6 months of ownership I found this headfi thread about eqing the hd700s to sounds flat ( flatten the peak). Oh my days.. Things sounded much much transparent,, infact it gave the cans a massive open sound stage. So currently I'm in love with my purchase more than ever. But I've been hearing that hd660s is a better version of the 700. Is this true? People tend to bash the 700s left right and center without knowing **** about it let alone owning it.

Can i get a decent feedback on these two? Are the stories true?

Thank you.
HD700 and HD660S don't sound anything like each other so I don't consider them in the same class. I do like the HD660S but its no replacement for the HD700 due the differences in how they present a track, HD700 is closer to a HD800 while the HD660S is closer to the HD600 IMO so if you like the "massive open sound stage" then I don't think the HD660S would be something that I'd recommend as a replacement to the HD700. If you are looking for a better HD600 or HD650 then the HD660S would be a "replacement/update" and since it sound quite good on a wider variety of gear it would be my recommendation for someone who doesn't want to get a dedicated amp to drive the HD600 or HD650. The problem with the HD660S is the cost, just way over priced IMO and more so with the HD58X at 1/3 the cost and it provides a sound that is fairly close to the HD660S and I've noticed that a few of my non-audiophile friends seems to favor the HD58X over the HD660S since it has a more mainstream tuning.

Nov 18, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #8,693 of 9,320
Ok, so I've spent more than an hour sifting through this thread for posts comparing the HD700s to the HD800s, and I'm not sure I've ever seen such divergent reports on a pair of headphones. Even so, I gotta ask the assembled brain trust here (again) about microdetail, imaging, and transient response between the 700 and 800. The context below is important for understanding what info I'm hoping to get...
I didn't consider the HD700s when I was recently upgrading from my HD600s, because there was so much curfuffle about them back in 2013/2014 when I bought the 600s. So, first, I auditioned and tossed back the LCD-Xs (too dark in the upper mids, like a smudge. Loved them otherwise, but I wasn't going to get used to its signature).

I got the HD800 and the treble was like battery acid poured directly into my ears onto my brain. However, after a mere 6 hours jockeying an equalizer, they sound awe-inspiring and addictive. I like the leanness that remains after I successfully tone-matched them to the HD600s and my Dynaudio speakers. Nothing is EQed more than 3dB down, but I was having to tweak down to 0.1 dB increments by the end of it with significantly audible results. So, I'm apparently very sensitive to tonality, with the HD600s being "correct" to me. I always hate relying on EQ, though.

So I got the Focal Clear. Mind you, I'm now living in a refrigerator box after blowing through this much cash, but it was worth it. You can read my review. Short of it is these aren't going anywhere, regardless of what else happens. Goldie Locks has her cans, and she's telling the bears they can all go crap in the woods.

What bugs me is that the 700s are less than half what I paid for the HD800s on EBay (open box). SOOOO, finally, my questions. (a) Given that I would never...ever...choose to listen to the HD800s straight, because I needed to not only kill the 6kHz spike, but also bring up the bass, and recess 200-800Hz a trifle (200-800Hz), what would my reaction likely be to the HD700s? Still need EQ, I suspect. (b) Given that I love, love, love the imaging, lightning transient response, and detail of the HD800s, so that they're like audio crack compared to the wonderful but non-addictive Clears, will I feel like I'm losing out if I return the HD800s and buy HD700s?

My headphone amp is weighty but neutral SS, a TEAC HA-501, and TEAC UD-501 feeding it (dual mono, 6 bits "ladder" plus 18 bits sigma-delta). Sorry for the long post, but I look forward to y'all's insights.

Nov 18, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #8,694 of 9,320
Just purchased the HD700 used on ebay for $240, which I was pretty excited about. I know nothing about them, other than they arrived looking in amazing shape. Thanks to this site I now have all kinds of new ways to go broke! My first foray into audiophile headphones. Got the HD6XX a couple months ago, which are pretty wonderful. For amp/dacs I've got a Firefly Red and Fiio Q1 Mark II, and balanced cables for each for the Fiio. Couldn't resist ordering a Bravo V2 for the price, though I've got bids in for a used Valhalla 2 and Chord Mojo. Until now was mostly buying noise cancelling IEMS or cans (QC35, QC 20, Sony 1000X & XM2, Sennheiser PXC550). The PXC550s I've loved, and made me a Sennheiser fan.

Since this whole world is new to me, I didn't really understand soundstage and instrument separation until the HD700s. Wow! Soundworks Reference 4 headphone edition makes a huge difference on my iMac. True-Fi was oddly nowhere near as impressive (though both gave me installation issues on Mojave). I'm pushing 50 so the peaky treble probably doesn't bother me as much as younger ears might find. Ref 4 also tames that well. I'd absolutely buy these for $400 new and would recommend them. The only downside is now I find the 6XX much less impressive and the PXC550s pretty awful in comparison. Interestingly, I don't find them as comfortable as my other 2 Senns, though their lightness is amazing. As I was hoping, all my music sounds like something quite different and detailed, and as I was fearing, makes me realize much of my music isn't great quality and they are less forgiving than everything else I own. I'm finding all I want to do is use these headphones since I got them!

Looking forward to hearing some differences with other amps/DACs. This site has been amazing, and thanks to all who have contributed to this thread!

Nov 19, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #8,695 of 9,320
The price always fluctuates for whatever reason. I bought these new at B&H about a year and a half ago for $420 (the Amazon price that day was exactly the same but I could pick them up physically at B&H). About a week later, the price at both retailers was briefly only $400.
You are correct. The other day it was $419 and today it is $394!

Nov 21, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #8,697 of 9,320
What bugs me is that the 700s are less than half what I paid for the HD800s on EBay (open box). SOOOO, finally, my questions. (a) Given that I would never...ever...choose to listen to the HD800s straight, because I needed to not only kill the 6kHz spike, but also bring up the bass, and recess 200-800Hz a trifle (200-800Hz), what would my reaction likely be to the HD700s? Still need EQ, I suspect. (b) Given that I love, love, love the imaging, lightning transient response, and detail of the HD800s, so that they're like audio crack compared to the wonderful but non-addictive Clears, will I feel like I'm losing out if I return the HD800s and buy HD700s?

If you can, keep the HD800. Personally, I don't EQ them, and enjoy them for what they do. With their default tuning they work best with certain types of music. EQing the HD800 takes away from its amazing expanse. The HD700 does a very similar type of thing to the sound. I actually quite liked mine. But it is even more wildly tuned. With the 700, the upper-mid-to-lower treble is even more scooped out. And the mid range to bass is even a bit warmer. Some people may be sensitive to peaks on one but not the other. The HD700 form factor is awesome, and is inexpensive to pair it with a cheaper short cable to plugin to mobiles. The HD700 is wild and weird. It does a similar psychoacoustic effect as the HD800 but ultimately the HD800 has more linearity. The HD800 is closer to open-area diffuse field curve and renders classical music, ambient, score, with the air it is known for and still really hasn't been surpassed. For a 10 year old design it is quite unique. Focal Clear sounds like a good match to have with it. I love the Utopia and that has a much more traditional speaker reference tuning as does the HD600 (though still a bit rolled off on both ends).

If you can learn to love the HD800 - keep it. Even after auditioing a Utopia at length I made the decision, that while the 800 is more artificial in sound, I dig it. Its technicalities aren't quite at Utopia level but not far behind. It pulls ahead in comfort and relaxed soundfield - which are really nice factors when just chilling and listening to music.

HD700 is an absolute gem for movies and games with some music listening in between.

Oh - want to add.. if you want HD800 soundstage (and actually even a bit bigger) with HD600 mids then look out for Sony MDR-F1 (rare not always in great condition) or MA900 (newer).

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #8,698 of 9,320
If you can, keep the HD800. Personally, I don't EQ them, and enjoy them for what they do. With their default tuning they work best with certain types of music. EQing the HD800 takes away from its amazing expanse. The HD700 does a very similar type of thing to the sound. I actually quite liked mine. But it is even more wildly tuned. With the 700, the upper-mid-to-lower treble is even more scooped out. And the mid range to bass is even a bit warmer. Some people may be sensitive to peaks on one but not the other. The HD700 form factor is awesome, and is inexpensive to pair it with a cheaper short cable to plugin to mobiles. The HD700 is wild and weird. It does a similar psychoacoustic effect as the HD800 but ultimately the HD800 has more linearity. The HD800 is closer to open-area diffuse field curve and renders classical music, ambient, score, with the air it is known for and still really hasn't been surpassed. For a 10 year old design it is quite unique. Focal Clear sounds like a good match to have with it. I love the Utopia and that has a much more traditional speaker reference tuning as does the HD600 (though still a bit rolled off on both ends).

If you can learn to love the HD800 - keep it. Even after auditioing a Utopia at length I made the decision, that while the 800 is more artificial in sound, I dig it. Its technicalities aren't quite at Utopia level but not far behind. It pulls ahead in comfort and relaxed soundfield - which are really nice factors when just chilling and listening to music.

HD700 is an absolute gem for movies and games with some music listening in between.

Oh - want to add.. if you want HD800 soundstage (and actually even a bit bigger) with HD600 mids then look out for Sony MDR-F1 (rare not always in great condition) or MA900 (newer).
Thanks so much. Your take on the 700s is more precise and more in line with what I needed than any reviews I've read. Sounds like it goes in the wrong direction for my taste, since I'm not a hobbyist, really, and prefer to just have one pair of headphones for everything from mixing to music and playing keyboard (no movies or gaming here). "Speaker reference tuning" is a good term to describe my likes, since my ears really report any headphones as either "good" or "off" when things get out of the realm of hearing the same on every setup. What's interesting is how much my tuning of the HD800 sounds like the Golden Ear Aon 3/Titons, which I've heard referred to as the lean "British" speaker sound. I passed on them in the hi-fi shop in favor of the vivid juicy mids of the Dynaudio X-12s--Cabernet versus dry Proseco. The Focal Clear are the Cab and the HD800s are the dry Champaign in the headphone realm, and I really like going between them. (Note to self: I'm NOT a hobbyist, I'm NOT a hobbyist.... no more headphones...).
As for EQ, I definitely found that Sonarworks killed the 800s, but I do think I managed to get a very HD600esque tuning without sacrificing anything with some rather modest shaping along Harmen-type lines, with the upward slope from 200-800Hz being the surprise ingredient. Without it, through a solid state amp, "clinical" seems like an understatement and even orchestral music sounded unnatural to me. Sounds like the 700s would at least be more difficult to EQ the same way and might not respond as well regardless. And, if they gave up anything in terms of imaging/detail, I think the reason for having the phones in addition to the Clears would disappear.

Nov 23, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #8,699 of 9,320
Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #8,700 of 9,320

Users who are viewing this thread

Back