Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #7,516 of 9,320
Not a gamer....sorry.  It would stand to reasons that differences heard on music
would also be audible on soundtracks for games as long as they are well done.
regards,
Hibuck...

Feb 24, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #7,517 of 9,320
Just wanted to point out that in addition to soundtracks for games, many of which now feature original orchestral music, you have environmental audio that mixes a range of electro-acoustic sources, and then uses advanced DSP for positioning.

Also, unlike music, a number of games are giving you the option to listen to more dynamic renditions of audio, or go with a more processed sound.

I think the HD800 might be a bit better but honestly it would be hard to justify that additional expense unless you really want the HD800. I feel the HD700 for both movies and games is already at or near the top. Personally, while I've wanted an HD800 for a while, I was not as yet prepared to sell off a number of headphones to get one. Eventually, I'll work my way up there. :) but right now I'm glad I have a number of headphones for gaming and music.

The HD650 was also very good for gaming. While many people don't regard the soundstage of the HD600/650 to be that wide, it is very good with binaural audio and presents a very cohesive spatial sound. The HD700 is definitely better, but the HD650 is worth a consideration if one was interested in it le type of sound for music.

LCD2 - while I wouldn't wear one for a competitive match, if one plays more dramatic games (Mass Effect, Witcher, etc) it is awesome for gaming. It just doesn't create the holographic 'bubble' that the HD700 creates.

Feb 24, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #7,518 of 9,320
Thanks for the responses. One last question, would sort of mic would you use with the HD 700 (just for gaming) as I expect some of those that attach to the headphone will pick up game sounds (due to the open design)

Not something expensive like £100-£200, would rather around £30

Feb 24, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #7,519 of 9,320
  Thanks for the responses. One last question, would sort of mic would you use with the HD 700 (just for gaming) as I expect some of those that attach to the headphone will pick up game sounds (due to the open design)

Not something expensive like £100-£200, would rather around £30

http://www.pcgamer.com/modmic-headphone-microphone-review/

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #7,521 of 9,320

Is it easy to get on and off the headphone? Due to the design of the HD 700

If you read the review of the Modmic it come with 2 nubs, this is attached to your headphone and the boom/mic can be removed but the nub will stay in place for the next time you use it.  Looking at the HD-700 there is really only one place to attach the nub (wouldn't think the screen part is stable enough) so its a little limited in this but if it works for you then it a good mic the one time I tried it at a friends house.  I didn't need a mic since I didn't like online games (MMO) and only played in single player mode.

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #7,522 of 9,320
  If you read the review of the Modmic it come with 2 nubs, this is attached to your headphone and the boom/mic can be removed but the nub will stay in place for the next time you use it.  Looking at the HD-700 there is really only one place to attach the nub (wouldn't think the screen part is stable enough) so its a little limited in this but if it works for you then it a good mic the one time I tried it at a friends house.  I didn't need a mic since I didn't like online games (MMO) and only played in single player mode.

That's what I meant, that little stick on strip. Wondering if it is easy to take off. Will have to look into it, thanks for the link :)

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #7,523 of 9,320
  Reading reviews of the HD700 and I don't really know what to expect from these; some people say it's dark and not harsh at all and others say it is bright. There's a lot of polarizing opinions. 

Well I live in a part of the world (Caribbean) where I import virtually all my electronics without opportunities to test (listen) them out. Like you I read a lot of reviews about HD700 before buying. I quickly ruled out HD600. Yeah, call me shallow, I accept, it just look so ugly (at best plain and cheap looking) to me to even consider it no matter how good people may rave about it. Same reason I will never buy a Chord Mojo (not cheap looking just ugly egonomics), but that's a different story. So I read reviews for weeks on Oppo, HD700, HD650 and many more. And like you noted so many varied reviews. What did it for me were:

1. Far many more positive reviews than negatives
2. Extremely comfortable to wear (appears to be universal agreement on that)
3. I find it a beauty, futuristic, molded like it's big brother HD800s
So, off to importing, waiting and paying customs duty.

I have had it for more than 6 months and I can say without hesitation, HD700 is one of my best buys in recent times. I listen to all kinds of genre; Blues, Rock, Classical, Hip-Hop/Rap, Pop, New Age, Electronic, Dance, Reggae, Jazz and never have I found it lacking. As for the high sibilant, don't know, I guess I don't know what it means because except for one or two occasions I've never really felt it, so I chalk it down to a bad recording.
My desktop dac is Fostex HP-A4 and mobile rig is a stack of Samsung J5 phone + Fiio e12 amplifier. Even with that low level mobile rig, it sounds really good. I just ordered the new Sony PHA-2A waiting to take ownership next week to replace the e12 and I'm expecting my HD700 to even whoa me more. Ultimately planning to replace the Samsung phone with Sony ZX2.
I've worn the HD700 for 6 hours straight on without even noticing I had it on. My HP before this was Hifiman He-400S.
These are just my thoughts on this wonderful Headphone.

Just a note, mobile for me is not wearing HD700 in pubic. It means I take it to the office with me along with my mobile rig. Not really suitable for public as it's open back and if you work in an "open" office not a good idea either.

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #7,524 of 9,320
I agree completely with what NoMythsAudio said. I read the reviews and decided to take the chance (twice!). I've heard people complain of harshness and sibilance. I don't know what they are listening to, or what their ears are made of, but I've yet to experience it. These are some of the most even sounding headphones I've heard. Of course if you are listening to a very sibilant recording, it's obviously not going to magically erase it, I will say that they are a bit sensitive to your amp. I have five amps and four of them sound great and very similar. It doesn't do quite as well with mt Asgard 2. Just last night I decided to try them straight out of my Xduoo X2 (WAV). The X2 never sounded better! Had to force myself to take them off an hour later and get to bed.

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #7,526 of 9,320
If you can get you hands on any album of Yello (Electronic duo) or Leonard Cohen's "You want It Darker" or Chris Jones' "No Sanctuary Here". You will hear magic from HD700!!

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #7,528 of 9,320
  If you can get you hands on any album of Yello (Electronic duo) or Leonard Cohen's "You want It Darker" or Chris Jones' "No Sanctuary Here". You will hear magic from HD700!!

Unfortunately I didn't like how those sounded on my HD700. Of them, Yello's stuff sounded the best. Otherwise everything sounded thin.

Feb 26, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #7,530 of 9,320
  Same is true for Jennifer Warnes  "The Hunter" or "Famous Blue Raincoat".
regards,
Hibuck....

Thanks Hibuck.
Jennifer Warnes is awesome.

I also found Ana Popovic.
Great stuff out there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back