Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Apr 13, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #6,121 of 9,329
I'm off from home, so reading here made me feel missing my hd700. Though now I'm searching for office phones (i.e. closed) which I can compare with hd700. Any ideas? The price should be similar, preferably much less. I listen to many genres (acoustic, classic, techno, ethno, new age, ...).

Apr 13, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #6,122 of 9,329

Yaaaaayyyyy... You summarized a thread! Good on you.

Nothing to see here, keep moving folks.

Actually it is a great summary of a very long thread...

Thanks Rad02

Apr 13, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #6,124 of 9,329

Yaaaaayyyyy... You summarized a thread! Good on you.

Nothing to see here, keep moving folks.

Wow! That was pretty harsh!
  I'm off from home, so reading here made me feel missing my hd700. Though now I'm searching for office phones (i.e. closed) which I can compare with hd700. Any ideas? The price should be similar, preferably much less. I listen to many genres (acoustic, classic, techno, ethno, new age, ...).

I could be wrong on this, as I haven't listened to ALL the headphones out there, but I don't think you will find anything comparable to the HD700 in a closed back headphone. That's not to say there AREN'T some really good ones, but just different sound signature. 

Apr 13, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #6,125 of 9,329
I agree with @samandhi I don't think you will find a closed phone that will sound like the 700's for that kind of money. My Ether-C's cost 3x as much they aren't the same but different. I'll pick my C's over the 700's but that is not to say that I don't like my 700's just for different things.

Apr 13, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #6,126 of 9,329

The only closed headphone that I heard that was close to the HD-700 was the Shure SRH-1540.  Other closed headphones that might interest you are TH-X00 and DT-1770, I haven't heard either but I know the TH-X00 is close to my TH-600 so I have a general idea of its sound signature while I have no idea on the DT-1770.

Also, nice summary
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #6,127 of 9,329
I did not think HD-700 when I heard the TH-X00 but they are really really nice for the money. I might just get a pair because they are just fun and look great.

Apr 13, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #6,128 of 9,329
Thank you all! I think that alternative is hard/impossible to find, but I'll check for sure your proposals. Initially I thought that the new hd630 can be somewhat similar - same producer, same hd series, but reading reviews I do not find similarities. And is a bit innovative. Then I have found two other phones, cheap, but with good feedback on internet - DT150 and HPH-MT220 even thought to jump on the last...

Apr 13, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #6,130 of 9,329
Can someone please give me an idea of what sound signature these HD700 sound like? Open headphones are new territory for me, but I've heard almost every respectable closed back under $500. I really wanna get these hd700's for their outstanding comfort, but I'm scared they'll be too analytical sounding.

I listen to everything BUT classical and Jazz. So EDM, pop, hiphop, etc. And I get the impression these are best FOR classical and jazz.

Can anyone compare the signature to a closed back? Bang & Olufsen H6 maybe? They're not as smooth sounding as the Oppo PM-3's, right?

I'm just worried they'll be too trebly, analytical, dull/boring for my genres listed above.

Any help would be appreciated

Apr 13, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #6,131 of 9,329
  Can someone please give me an idea of what sound signature these HD700 sound like? Open headphones are new territory for me, but I've heard almost every respectable closed back under $500. I really wanna get these hd700's for their outstanding comfort, but I'm scared they'll be too analytical sounding.

I listen to everything BUT classical and Jazz. So EDM, pop, hiphop, etc. And I get the impression these are best FOR classical and jazz.

Can anyone compare the signature to a closed back? Bang & Olufsen H6 maybe? They're not as smooth sounding as the Oppo PM-3's, right?

I'm just worried they'll be too trebly, analytical, dull/boring for my genres listed above.

Can't tell someone what they will like. I don't find them over bright like Beyer phones . What phones do you find analytical and boring so I can compare if I have heard them? 

Apr 14, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #6,132 of 9,329
I haven't heard many that I don't like tbh, because I generally pick cans that are suited to my taste beforehand. But I'm just looking for something musical, engaging, and somewhat dark/smooth on the high end. As opposed to a reference studio sound that's very flat/neutral, tame, and very revealing/harsh on the highs. if that makes sense.

I loved the coloration of the Beoplay H6. I loved the planar bass and the crisp clean mids of the PM3. The musicality of the Sennheiser momentum 2.0 over-ears. Even the NADHP50 and PSB m4u1 were great for me.

If I had to choose something I didn't quite like, I would say the AKG k550. They are incredible cans in their own right with their soundstage, etc, but I think they lacked that body/musicality I'm trying to refer to. The AKG K545, on the other hand, were absolutely lovely for me, probably cuz of the elevated bass compared to the K550.

I hope what I'm saying is at least somewhat coherent lol

Apr 14, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #6,133 of 9,329
Quote:

Without posting my feelings all over again, I'll simply say I really love the HD700's and find it hard to listen to anything else but them with certain types of music... especially jazz and rock.  With that said, honestly, if I were strictly into EDM, and Hip-hop, I might look elsewhere for headphones as these are too airy (not a bass heavy phone) for EDM and Hip-hop.

Yes, they (HD700) can drop the bass, but they aren't a bass heavy phone which EDM and Hip-hop favors.  I listen to all genres of music but if I'm feeling like I want to party with my headphones, I reach for my Audio Technica ATH M50X's, which has much more presence and bass.  However they aren't as airy or as wide sounding as my the HD700's so I don't use them for say jazz, rock.

As someone pointed out earlier here, and I agree, these are genre specific... if you listen mostly to jazz, classical, and stuff like that, the HD700's are great. If you mostly listen to EDM, Hip-hop, or music where bass is king, look elsewhere.  

Yes, you can play all types of music with the HD700's, I do, but if you're into bass, you may not like these. They are definitely not a bass forward headphone.  It's why I have my ATH M50X's.

Good luck.

Apr 14, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #6,134 of 9,329

I would agree with @sygnus21 on the HD-700, for EDM, hiphop, or anything that likes a bass heavy the HD-700 is not what you would be looking for.

As for comfort, they are one of the best and you are correct that jazz and classical do sound great on them but pop, rock, classic rock sound pretty good also.  I can listen to EDM on them but usually go with TH-600 or HE-400 if I want the bass kick.

Apr 14, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #6,135 of 9,329
Yep, I second the HE400, although it is a much weightier phone.  I am having a little bit of seller's remorse about my old ones, but I like the bass on my SennGrado enough that I'm fine mostly.  Plus I'll eventually pick up a real basshead IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back