Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Feb 2, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #5,731 of 9,326
  Considering buying a gently used pair of these.  My number one pet peeve with headphones is my pinna/helix/top-outer ear touching the driver cover.  Has anyone experienced this or measured the cup depth on the HD700?  For reference, I don't have massive ears but they do touch the inside of both the HD598 and Fidelio X2.

There isn't really anywhere close-by that I know of where I could demo a set, otherwise I wouldn't need to pester you guys. 
tongue_smile.gif

I will sell you a mint condition pair :)

Feb 2, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #5,732 of 9,326
  Considering buying a gently used pair of these.  My number one pet peeve with headphones is my pinna/helix/top-outer ear touching the driver cover.  Has anyone experienced this or measured the cup depth on the HD700?  For reference, I don't have massive ears but they do touch the inside of both the HD598 and Fidelio X2.

There isn't really anywhere close-by that I know of where I could demo a set, otherwise I wouldn't need to pester you guys. 
tongue_smile.gif

They're big, and they don't touch my ears. But the HD800 are bigger if that's your #1 priority :)

Feb 2, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #5,733 of 9,326
I currently have that issues as well but then my ears are big and stick out. I had these for almost 4 days and I been enjoying them a lot, A lot more then my HE-500's. Plus it doesn't give my neck a work out while wearing them and i also don't gotta put up with those bad SMC connectors. So I glad I took this route and got the HD 700's. This really my very first Sennheiser headphone's, I usually used Audio Technica and beyerdynamic.

Feb 2, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #5,734 of 9,326
I fell in love with the HD 700's at first sound and I demo them each and every time I go into a store that carries them.  The quality and clarity of the vocals, the separation of the instruments and the feeling that the artist is right there next to me never ceases to amaze me.  When I am in the market for an open hp, I will definitely be getting them. 

I currently have the Beyer T70P's and they are wonderful but still no headphone I have owned or tried blow me away as much as the 700's.  I am looking for another closed headphone which is 

1) as comfortable as the HD 700's
2) comes close in sound ( I know that is asking for a lot with closed vs open but there has got to be a choice
3) more portable than the 700's

What I listen to: acoustic, alternative, soft rock, some pop and country
What I do not listen to: EDM, hard rock, metal

I have tried the following headphones ( by try meaning have had a chance to demo them for at least one hour each):  

Sony MDR1R, Sony MDR1A, Sony MDRZ7 - I love the Sony's for comfort but found them all too bassy
Denon AH-400 - beautiful hp but couldn't try these long enough because they were so uncomfortable
HD 650, Sennheiser Momentum 2, Master & Dynamic MH40, various PSB hp - found nothing too exciting about these

Appreciate any suggestions, thank you!

Feb 2, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #5,735 of 9,326
  I fell in love with the HD 700's at first sound and I demo them each and every time I go into a store that carries them.  The quality and clarity of the vocals, the separation of the instruments and the feeling that the artist is right there next to me never ceases to amaze me.  When I am in the market for an open hp, I will definitely be getting them. 

I currently have the Beyer T70P's and they are wonderful but still no headphone I have owned or tried blow me away as much as the 700's.  I am looking for another closed headphone which is 

2) comes close in sound ( I know that is asking for a lot with closed vs open but there has got to be a choice

I have tried the following headphones ( by try meaning have had a chance to demo them for at least one hour each):  

Sony MDR1R, Sony MDR1A, Sony MDRZ7 - I love the Sony's for comfort but found them all too bassy
Denon AH-400 - beautiful hp but couldn't try these long enough because they were so uncomfortable
HD 650, Sennheiser Momentum 2, Master & Dynamic MH40, various PSB hp - found nothing too exciting about these

If you have the money you can't beat Mr Speakers Ether C's for closed phones.

Feb 3, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #5,736 of 9,326
  If you have the money you can't beat Mr Speakers Ether C's for closed phones.

Those look amazing; unfortunately they are over my budget; forgot to include that in my original post.  I'm looking for something under 800; preferably staying within the 300-500 range.

Thank you for the suggestion!

I have not had a chance to demo the Shure 1540's; I read in another thread that it has similar qualities to the HD700 but bloated bass. Can anyone who has heard the Shures and the HD 700's please provide their feedback?

Feb 3, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #5,737 of 9,326
  Those look amazing; unfortunately they are over my budget; forgot to include that in my original post.  I'm looking for something under 800; preferably staying within the 300-500 range.

Thank you for the suggestion!

I have not had a chance to demo the Shure 1540's; I read in another thread that it has similar qualities to the HD700 but bloated bass. Can anyone who has heard the Shures and the HD 700's please provide their feedback?

I have 1840's which are open and not really portable, these are closer to HD-650 in sound signature than the HD-700.  I would suggest TH-X00 or TH-600 but these are not really portable either but within your budget.
Another I would suggest but since I only heard it for a short time a few months ago is the DT-1770 so I can't comment on the sound since it was a long time ago, but it did sound good to me for a closed headphone.

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #5,738 of 9,326

perhaps you can check the massdrop th-x00. 

Feb 3, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #5,739 of 9,326
  I have 1840's which are open and not really portable, these are closer to HD-650 in sound signature than the HD-700.  I would suggest TH-X00 or TH-600 but these are not really portable either but within your budget.
Another I would suggest but since I only heard it for a short time a few months ago is the DT-1770 so I can't comment on the sound since it was a long time ago, but it did sound good to me for a closed headphone.

I will check out the TH hp's, thanks!.  I have the T70P ( which I love); wonder if the 1770's would be a significant step up?

perhaps you can check the massdrop th-x00. 

I will look into these, thank you!

Anyone who has heard both the HD 700's and the Shure 1540's; any comments on similarities/differences between these two?

Feb 3, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #5,741 of 9,326
Has anyone used a woo audio wa3 or wa6 with the 700's? If so which one do you recommend? If not those would he Valhalla work well. I have an Asgard but was wanting a tube amp.

I have never heard the woo audio amps. I have a Valhalla 2 (with stock tubes) and Feliks Audio Elise (with non-stock tubes). In my experience the Elise is at a much higher level than the Valhalla2, but it is also much more expensive.

Feb 3, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #5,742 of 9,326
  I will sell you a mint condition pair :)

Thanks for the offer, but I'm probably only looking inside of Finland at the moment.  You could give them to me instead of selling, though!

Unfortunately, my offer on the gently used pair I was looking at was declined.  I have a set figure in mind that I want to pay for these, so I'll hunt around this year for some deals and see if my interest in these headphones doesn't wane.  I notice on Black Friday last year they were €349 (new) in a reputable webshop here, shame I wasn't hunting them then.  In the meantime, I'll try and find a place to audition these in my region.

I'm thinking they share some traits with the HD598 but are somewhat brighter and have a larger, more accurate soundstage along with a greater quantity and quality of bass.  Rebuttals? 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #5,743 of 9,326
Got bored with my HD700's stock paint job for the second time with the second pair. Went a little more elegant with it this time. If anyone wants to know how to take these apart or what paints I use just let me know. This isn't an advertisement, just showing off what I did with mine. I won't do this for anyone but I will tell you how to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back