Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Dec 25, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #5,567 of 9,320
Got HD700 a few weeks ago after using HD600 for 8 years.
At first I did find them awfully bright but now after 100 hours of burn in it's only something I notice on specific recordings or if I deliberately focus on how the treble area sounds.
Switching amp from Meier Audio Corda Classic to Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear helped a bit too.
Comfort is outstanding.

The last couple of days I've discovered by A/B switching between HD700 and 600 that I now think the former sounds much fuller than the HD600. I can't go back to HD600 because HD700 just sounds so much better, so I have put the 600 up for sale.

Dec 25, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #5,568 of 9,320
At first I did find them awfully bright but now after 100 hours of burn in it's only something I notice on specific recordings or if I deliberately focus on how the treble area sounds.
Switching amp from Meier Audio Corda Classic to Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear helped a bit too.
Comfort is outstanding.

The last couple of days I've discovered by A/B switching between HD700 and 600 that I now think the former sounds much fuller than the HD600. I can't go back to HD600 because HD700 just sounds so much better, so I have put the 600 up for sale.

​+1 I agree.  I have both and while I still love the HD600's and will not part with them.  I do like the HD700 considerably more.

Dec 25, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #5,569 of 9,320
Comfort is outstanding.

Agree with you but I'm still keeping my HD600 just to have its unique sound signature and for some genres of music with my BH Crack its hard to beat.

Dec 25, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #5,570 of 9,320
Thinking of getting some dynamics to go with the Planars I have and saw the price of the 700's on amazon and thought I might give them a go or the 650's. I got a $50 amazon gift card for Christmas so it would put the 700's under $400. I would have enough left over for a Bottlehead Crack as I have been wanting to build that for awhile but have read my Ether-C's doesn't like OTL amps but with the 700's a lot on this thread says it is very good. I was also wondering if anyone has tried the Liquid Carbon with the 700's? So now my dilemma is 650 or 700 and a Crack .

Dec 25, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #5,571 of 9,320
  Thinking of getting some dynamics to go with the Planars I have and saw the price of the 700's on amazon and thought I might give them a go or the 650's. I got a $50 amazon gift card for Christmas so it would put the 700's under $400. I would have enough left over for a Bottlehead Crack as I have been wanting to build that for awhile but have read my Ether-C's doesn't like OTL amps but with the 700's a lot on this thread says it is very good. I was also wondering if anyone has tried the Liquid Carbon with the 700's? So now my dilemma is 650 or 700 and a Crack .

Depending on your other headphones that you have the HD650 and HD700 are fairly different so its hard to say which.  I'm assuming you are looking for a different sound signature from what you currently have.

While 650 & 700 work with BH Crack, the 650 is a much better pairing while the 700 sounds better on a Project Ember or Lyr2 for me.  Haven't heard the Ether-C but did try the Liquid Carbon a few months ago at my friends house, pretty impressive little amp, great with almost any neutral/warm headphone, a little to bright with bright headphones like DT-990 and Grado's, didn't get to try with HD-700 but with HD650 it was good, not as good as BH Crack IMO

Dec 25, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #5,573 of 9,320
  Depending on your other headphones that you have the HD650 and HD700 are fairly different so its hard to say which.  I'm assuming you are looking for a different sound signature from what you currently have.

While 650 & 700 work with BH Crack, the 650 is a much better pairing while the 700 sounds better on a Project Ember or Lyr2 for me.  Haven't heard the Ether-C but did try the Liquid Carbon a few months ago at my friends house, pretty impressive little amp, great with almost any neutral/warm headphone, a little to bright with bright headphones like DT-990 and Grado's, didn't get to try with HD-700 but with HD650 it was good, not as good as BH Crack IMO

Thanks for the response. Now I'm really perplexed. Amazon has a deal on the HD-650 with a $200 gift card for $499. For the money I could buy the 650's and the 700's without the Crack. The Lyr2 would be out of the budget. I have heard both the 650 and 700 and I liked the 700 better. I don't remember the amps and I know that means a lot. I don't know if I'm looking for something different or looking to see if there is something I might be missing out on. I don't want to be boxing myself in on one type of headphones. I have Mr. Speakers Ether-C's and Alpha Dogs ,HE-400S's, HE-400's and HD280 Pro's(that I have had for years). I'm still thinking 700 with the Crack. The Ember is a hybrid amp as the the EF-2A that I have. Too many options I'm rethinking everything.

Dec 25, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #5,574 of 9,320
  Thanks for the response. Now I'm really perplexed. Amazon has a deal on the HD-650 with a $200 gift card for $499. For the money I could buy the 650's and the 700's without the Crack. The Lyr2 would be out of the budget. I have heard both the 650 and 700 and I liked the 700 better. I don't remember the amps and I know that means a lot. I don't know if I'm looking for something different or looking to see if there is something I might be missing out on. I don't want to be boxing myself in on one type of headphones. I have Mr. Speakers Ether-C's and Alpha Dogs ,HE-400S's, HE-400's and HD280 Pro's(that I have had for years). I'm still thinking 700 with the Crack. The Ember is a hybrid amp as the the EF-2A that I have. Too many options I'm rethinking everything.

The 700 with an impedance of 150 ohms is borderline with the Crack. If a Crack is in your future, the 650, or similar, with an impedance of 300 ohms, is a much better match.

Dec 26, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #5,575 of 9,320

The 700 with an impedance of 150 ohms is borderline with the Crack. If a Crack is in your future, the 650, or similar, with an impedance of 300 ohms, is a much better match.

Makes sense otl amp and all.

Dec 26, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #5,576 of 9,320
True, but not all OTLs are the same when it comes to driving 150 ohm cans. (And I should note that 150 ohms is not usually considered low-Z.)

IMO, the Crack is somewhat handicapped by having only one 6AS7 output tube. OTLs with two 6AS7, or more, typically handle the 700 much better, for example, the Elise that some have recommended. FYI, I am using the 700 with a Glenn OTL and it is terrific.

Dec 27, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #5,577 of 9,320
  I guess this question is perhaps better answered in other threads, but I will roll it out here (pun intended).  I see that for the Elise they are surcharging $150 for Melz drivers.   They don't specify if they are the much sought after hole plate Melz, or one of the many Melz 6SN7s available.. I am curious about how the HD-700s respond to those tubes ? Especially at a time when short bottle Sylvania 1940s-50s 6SN7Ws can be bought for less than $50 a pop. I happen to be a pretty big fan of old Sylvanias and use them in my amps with excellent results playing into the 700s.
BTW both option are Russian.   'Tung Sol'. re issue is the default option.. I wonder if you can get it without any drivers and save some serious money? 
I am not a big fan of Russian tubes,, but do believe that true NOS  stock on many of them is really NOS, not the pulled tube, test new,  stuff.

P.S. To any newbees the HD700 is accused at times of being to bright and is 'peaky' in the treble frequencies.  Akll I  hade to play them with were tube amps and I never thought the treble edgy or peaky.  Yes you can afford them. One of mine was $65 model using only one tube in its 'pre amp' section and solid state power out put.   A Bravo 2, available on Ebay and MassDrop , from to time, that is where I got mine. It is not my main amp I just couldn't get over the price and reviews. 

Hey Mechans1, I just got my 700's today, been listening to them for about three hours now.  Really like them, compared to the 650's I think I like these better, had two pair of 650's for about three years now so not a new sound for me.  I have the ember and tried them with the 6sn7's with the 700's and they sound very nice, but still prefer the dual Visseaux 6j5's with the ember.  They are really open and full frequency. Between the Sylvania 6sn7's I like the vt231's best, then the Ken Rad vt231's, I looked at the Elise for awhile and liked what I read, but they got into the tube rolling pretty heavily so tried the dual adapters with the Ember, figured so long as I had this one, may as well, and really liked it.  Tried the 7193's, and 6L5g's and a couple of 6j5's, but the Visseaux 6j5's although expensive are the best I have heard with the Ember.  I would not opt for the more expensive tube options for the Elise until you heard it with your own Sylvania's first.  Tung Sol are a good option as well, Elise looks like a nice amp, but I am loving this Ember with the dual 6j5's and 700.  Will be putting one pair of 650's up for sale now. Good luck with the Elise and let us know what your thoughts are with it.

Dec 27, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #5,578 of 9,320

I do not intend ion getting the Elise any time soon.  I still use a similar amp the SinglePower Extreme .  The proprietor was going into his major slide around the time I got it.  I was one of the last to actually get an amp, I was lucky.  If and when it craps out I might have to switch to the Elise or another true tube amp, in the  input and output phases.  BTW the Elise is about half the price of the Extreme, so I congratulate them for making it accessible  and  affordable.  I think the company is called Felixs audio but have to look that up.
Today I had a rare grey glass Brimar CV 1988 dated 1964  in the Ember and decided to put in a middle size, early, top gettered, Chrome Dome, Sylvania GT( very close to a W) .  It simply blew the Brimar out of the water.  I don't say things like that often and no I haven't had a drink or two.  I have used that  Brimar and have enjoyed on several occasions.  The Sylvania by contrast wasn't just pleasant, it was rich and detailed, full and holographic, stretching high and low, the bass from that tube was phenomena,l just superb.
I would love to try triode tubes like the 6j5s but I don't  have the dual adapter.  Are they for sale on Ebay?   
I have to sell some of my tubes if I do that, I have way to many and a lot of redundancy.

Dec 27, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #5,579 of 9,320
Dec 27, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #5,580 of 9,320

Users who are viewing this thread

Back