Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Dec 18, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #5,552 of 9,329
Hey all any opinions on the Feliks audio Elise amp vs the Oppo HA 1 to use with my hd700s. I know they're two totally different animals but I found that I can get the HA 1 for $950 and considering it has a dac built in makes it a contender. But I'm going for best sound quality and have heard the hd700s respond well to tube amps. Any advice would really help thank you!

I'm running my HD700s with the Little Dot MK IV SE (with C3G drivers) and Schiit Bifrost MB DAC and am very happy. But......after a lot of research, I ordered the Elise and have already bought several sets of tubes to roll. The order time for the Elise is at least 6 weeks. I'm hoping to receive mine before New Years. From all I know, I think you should be thrilled with the Elise. Good luck.

PS. If you haven't checked it out already, I highly recommend you visit the Elise thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/782754/feliks-audio-elise-new-thread/4335#post_12173807

Dec 18, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #5,554 of 9,329
Just ordered the Elise. Yeah Lukasz said 6-7 weeks to ship it. I'm familiar with that thread great stuff. Hopefully I don't need to be an electrical engineer to run it! :)

Great)) Welcome to our community. Be sure to check in with the group over at the Elise thread. They are very helpful))

Dec 19, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #5,555 of 9,329
I guess this question is perhaps better answered in other threads, but I will roll it out here (pun intended).  I see that for the Elise they are surcharging $150 for Melz drivers.   They don't specify if they are the much sought after hole plate Melz, or one of the many Melz 6SN7s available.. I am curious about how the HD-700s respond to those tubes ? Especially at a time when short bottle Sylvania 1940s-50s 6SN7Ws can be bought for less than $50 a pop. I happen to be a pretty big fan of old Sylvanias and use them in my amps with excellent results playing into the 700s.
BTW both option are Russian.   'Tung Sol'. re issue is the default option.. I wonder if you can get it without any drivers and save some serious money? 
I am not a big fan of Russian tubes,, but do believe that true NOS  stock on many of them is really NOS, not the pulled tube, test new,  stuff.

P.S. To any newbees the HD700 is accused at times of being to bright and is 'peaky' in the treble frequencies.  Akll I  hade to play them with were tube amps and I never thought the treble edgy or peaky.  Yes you can afford them. One of mine was $65 model using only one tube in its 'pre amp' section and solid state power out put.   A Bravo 2, available on Ebay and MassDrop , from to time, that is where I got mine. It is not my main amp I just couldn't get over the price and reviews. 

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #5,556 of 9,329
A silly question from a newbie, is it worth buying balanced cable for Hd700?

Using them with Centrance Hifi-M8 and iPhone 5s.

Use Shure SE846 when traveling but 700 sounds much better when home so that is the difference I can hear.

Silly to answer my own post but hopefully someone has use for my experience. Bought Sennheisers balanced cable on Ebay for $70 bucks. I have a Centrance HiFi-M8 with an outlet for balanced cable. Sound is for sure better or rather more airy. Soundstage is wider and bass a bit tighter. So for you who is wondering I would say if you can get the cable as I did for a great price ok but I do not think I would pay over $300 for it. Cheers!

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #5,557 of 9,329
Silly to answer my own post but hopefully someone has use for my experience. Bought Sennheisers balanced cable on Ebay for $70 bucks. I have a Centrance HiFi-M8 with an outlet for balanced cable. Sound is for sure better or rather more airy. Soundstage is wider and bass a bit tighter. So for you who is wondering I would say if you can get the cable as I did for a great price ok but I do not think I would pay over $300 for it. Cheers!
Good to know thanks

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #5,559 of 9,329
Hey folks.
Just ordered my Sennheiser HD 700.
I know I am asking same questions as others.
But I wanted some suggestion for DAC/Amps for this.
My budgets around $1000.

Thanks.
Schiit bifrost/vahalla2, excellent combo for hd700

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #5,561 of 9,329
Thanks for suggestion.  So there is Multibit version for Bifrost.
Would it be worth to get those?
Yes definitely. Save your money and go multibit. It is that good, you'll be amazed how good those phones will sound. I suggest the tube amp because the hd700 has a tendency to sound bright with some ss amps. Great match with tubes. I sold mine to buy new gear, but I miss them, enjoy

Dec 23, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #5,562 of 9,329
Yes definitely. Save your money and go multibit. It is that good, you'll be amazed how good those phones will sound. I suggest the tube amp because the hd700 has a tendency to sound bright with some ss amps. Great match with tubes. I sold mine to buy new gear, but I miss them, enjoy

​+1 I agree 100%

Dec 24, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #5,564 of 9,329
  Hey folks.
Just ordered my Sennheiser HD 700.
I know I am asking same questions as others.
But I wanted some suggestion for DAC/Amps for this.
My budgets around $1000.

Thanks.

Late response here, multi-bit bifrost is good, I also like UD-301 for the DAC
As for amps the Valhalla2 is great if only dealing with high z cans, BH Crack will also work great, if you have planars or other hard to drive dynamics I would look at Lyr2, and Project Ember2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back