Aug 9, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #4,921 of 9,320
No, it was a headphoneus supremus.

I guess you never know
confused_face(1).gif

Aug 9, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #4,922 of 9,320
No, it was a headphoneus supremus.

You mean spammereus trollemus? 
tongue_smile.gif

Our sonic incompetence does not allow us to realize how bad the HD700 is and prevents us from reach their high level of headphone expertise. 

Aug 9, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #4,923 of 9,320
You mean spammereus trollemus? :tongue_smile:

Our sonic incompetence does not allow us to realize how bad the HD700 is and prevents us from reach their high level of headphone expertise. 

Exactly!

Aug 9, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #4,924 of 9,320
Nice sharing
Since the 650 represents approximately 65% of a possible score when scaled to 100, I would strongly, strongly urge you to strive for the HD-700, which is 50 "sound points" higher, and also highly recommended by many tinnitus sufferers. If you wish to join the tinnitus suffrage program, the 650's will leave you unsatisfied. In the design of the 700's, the extra 50 basis points were streamlined to produce as many of the tinnitus inducing effects as possible. This was a huge win for Sennheiser, but I feel that they could have done a much better job trying to destroy my hearing with the 650's.

Aug 10, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #4,927 of 9,320
IMO, HD700's have better detail and (design) than the 650s, with infinitely wider soundstage than 650s.
I guess some people just like the laid-back signature..

(for the hd700 price that people asked about, I dropped it to $370. it's not going to come with the custom cables, though) 

Aug 10, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #4,928 of 9,320
  Ok, After several reviews and advices, I was lead here to ask some suggestions for my HD700. I am new to this field of amp. This year I bought a DAC, Meridian Explorer 2, and I am looking for an amp suitable. I've narrowed and rearranged the option. My choice is either Schiit Asgard 2 or Project Ember 2.
  I'd like to point out that I live out of the U.S. and the voltage I use is 220V. Schiit audio provides an alternative voltage option, 230V europlug. I have to learn how tube amp works if I'm going to buy Ember 2. Also I would have to pay extra money because I don't know how to DIY stuff. I am also concered that I have to consider replacing tubes int the future, which will cause extra shipping fee because there's no official retail in my country. However, if the sound that Ember 2 provides is much better and acceptable?reasonable?, I'd go for it.
  I do hear that Schiit Asgard 2 is well built and could be a good match for HD700. Also, it looks like it does not use tube amps so I don't have to worry about the glass tube getting cracked during delivery, maybe a trivial concern.  But overall reviews about Asgard 2 looks great.
  Please feel free to guide me and suggest what option would be suitable to a newby considering buying either Schiit Asgard 2 or Project Ember 2. If there's someone who own both products, I am looking forward to the opinion.

Aug 10, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #4,930 of 9,320
I have two aftermarket cables (one from toxic cables and other from venus audio).
Not sure about sound changes, though; I can give my experience after doing some quiet room testing.

Aug 10, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #4,931 of 9,320
Anyone using aftermarket cables with the HD 700? I saw some from Moon Audio but they cost almost as much as the headphone (ok?).

If yes, how has the sound improved for you?

Yes, I use a custom cable made from Cardas cable that I bought on ebay.  It's a very nice improvement in sound; less congested, smoother treble and more solid bass.  Overall a more relaxed sound.  Also very nicely made and looks a lot better than the stock.  It was around $250.00.

Aug 10, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #4,932 of 9,320

Yes, I use a custom cable made from Cardas cable that I bought on ebay.  It's a very nice improvement in sound; less congested, smoother treble and more solid bass.  Overall a more relaxed sound.  Also very nicely made and looks a lot better than the stock.  It was around $250.00.

Hi Donlin

I gave up chasing cables decades ago, but am a strong believer with regards to properly cleaned solid/tight connections, be it RCA, spades, banana plugs but weary of the multiple mediocre headphone connectors available, ideally hard-wired would IMHO would be best due to the fact with headphones no small detail, sound wise, is left unexposed.
Reason being that each time regardless of what type of connector is used electrons still need to make the jump…when using headphones we have the output socket at the amp…then the headphone plug (sometime with an adapter ¼” to 1/8” or 1/8” to ¼”), headphone cable jack to the headphone socket not to mention the cable itself soldered to the jacks. Then the jacks, plugs, cable can have additional coatings, if the connections are brass they are usually, copper, silver or gold platted but more often than not ….nickel platted … not to mention eventual oxidization and/or the oil from our fingers……etc..etc..etc.....
All these variables have a direct influence on the final electrical output to the drivers, most obvious playing havoc with the upper frequencies; base can also be adversely affected.
Now lets ignore all these possible gremlins for a moment and get back to the perceived differences between the Senn and Cardas cable, would you say the biggest audible improvement might be due to the fact that the Senn cable is silver coated and Cardas uses their own ultra-pure copper?
http://www.cardas.com/insights_low_eddy.php

Aug 10, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #4,933 of 9,320
@Rob80b, agree with you for headphone cables, a friend in Japan gave me a Forza cable for my HE-560 and a Double Helix cable for my HD-800, both of these cable were gorgeous to look at and felt very well constructed but compared to the mogami and canare cables that I had on I couldn't notice any difference and my GF said she couldn't hear any difference either, her hearing is really good if that hearing test you can take on line is any indication.  The cable were so beautiful that I was constantly afraid that I would damage them so I gave them back to my friend when he was in Hawaii a few months ago on vacation.

As you mentioned about the oxidation/corrosion issue it is possible that this could be why some will hear a difference in a new cable since its connectors are new.  I've had connection issues but usually with tubes so I always use Deoxit to clean the pins when changing tubes, couldn't hurt to use the Deoxit on the headphone connectors.

Aug 10, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #4,934 of 9,320
I'd love to see what would happen if you took a handful of those cables, wrapped them up with thick electrical tape so no one could tell what they are on sight, and then let people try them all and describe how they sounded compared to one another.

All I know is literally every single time someone says they got a new cable, they list off the same improvements: better bass, bigger soundstage, clearer presentation. 

Aug 10, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #4,935 of 9,320
  I'd love to see what would happen if you took a handful of those cables, wrapped them up with thick electrical tape so no one could tell what they are on sight, and then let people try them all and describe how they sounded compared to one another.

All I know is literally every single time someone says they got a new cable, they list off the same improvements: better bass, bigger soundstage, clearer presentation. 

Would love to see this test also
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back