Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jul 24, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #4,591 of 9,308
hello everybody, 

its been some time since i last check in headfi. got myself a custom one pro 2 months ago, like it very much. need an open can, so 
dacport + HD700 on their way now

is the above good enough or should i start looking for tube amps like valhalla 2/ ember 2/ crack /micro ican while i am waiting for them?

Jul 24, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #4,592 of 9,308
  I'd say it also depends on one's general sensitivity to treble. Younger folks are likely going to find even slightly north of neutral treble to be nearly unlistenable, and older folks might find even slightly warm headphones muddy and thick. 

Sometimes I actually wonder if a lot of us like roughly similar sound signatures but our sensitivities are different. 

Strange, I'm a college student and I find the HD700's treble to be quite pleasing. A little, little bit sharp, but nothing that bothers me too much.

Jul 24, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #4,593 of 9,308
  I'd say it also depends on one's general sensitivity to treble. Younger folks are likely going to find even slightly north of neutral treble to be nearly unlistenable, and older folks might find even slightly warm headphones muddy and thick. 

Sometimes I actually wonder if a lot of us like roughly similar sound signatures but our sensitivities are different. 

I find it often to be the other way around: young people like big mids and bass. They hate mids though, and I hated it in the beginning too: looking at my very early days of EQ, I applied a huge V-shape filter to already V-shaped headphones. A lot of my peers have similar approaches.

Jul 24, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #4,594 of 9,308
Well, I'm 25, and still have pretty good hearing (though I tend to listen to things way louder than I should and I attend concerts on a regular basis, so I'm sure my hearing isn't quite as good as it could be).  I'm not overly sensitive to treble, but some things do get to be a bit much, like Deerhunter's last album, Monomania, which has a ton of distorted vocals that are a total treblefest.  Definitely not done as nicely as Halcyon Digest in my opinion.

I've found that the HD 700's do extremely well with acoustic guitar, as do the HD 800's.  I listen mostly to rock and pop, but I have all sorts of stuff in my library (and let's be real, rock and pop have become such massive umbrella genres anyways).

Jul 24, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #4,595 of 9,308
  Well, I'm 25, and still have pretty good hearing (though I tend to listen to things way louder than I should and I attend concerts on a regular basis, so I'm sure my hearing isn't quite as good as it could be).  I'm not overly sensitive to treble, but some things do get to be a bit much, like Deerhunter's last album, Monomania, which has a ton of distorted vocals that are a total treblefest.  Definitely not done as nicely as Halcyon Digest in my opinion.

I've found that the HD 700's do extremely well with acoustic guitar, as do the HD 800's.  I listen mostly to rock and pop, but I have all sorts of stuff in my library (and let's be real, rock and pop have become such massive umbrella genres anyways).

Agreed: guitar sounds really good on the HD700's.

Dammit, all this talk is making me miss my headphones. I'm still a week or two away from getting them: Sennheiser, please hurry up!

Jul 24, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #4,596 of 9,308
  I hope you understood what I meant..  The HD 700s can be  sibilant with  certain choices music, the source chosen and of course the amp especially  while the headphones are breaking in..  I was trying to advocate the use of a tube amp.  My tube amps have typical impedance numbers/Specs but in practice the problems people talk about appear somewhat exaggerated. 
For you  I would opt for the 6SN7 input tube 6080 output tube.  There is a thread about such an amp "Felix.. something"  forget the rest.  It is made in Europe but it  is not crazy expensive.  ( It may be made to order with your specific options or was at one point anyway.)
Although I have never heard the "Project Ember" it has a large and devoted following. It allows you to use your tube of choice, having added a socket that will accept octal tubes - which I think most would put their favorite 6SN7 tubes in.   I am tempted because I have a substantial collection of 6SN7s..  It is remarkably flexible in what tubes it will use.  I am nervous tonight having just subbed an Amperex (1959) 7316 -a 12AU7 variant, to a (1982) Siemens ECC801S, a 12AT7.  Sounds fabulous.  I hope my amp will work after this wild behavior! LOL
When I started rolling a dozen or more years ago, I would put anything that fit into sockets.!!!
Pursue your passions

Hi Mechans1,

Yes, i completely get your point and though i had to read it more than once. 
beerchug.gif

I guess i will stick with Aune for now and get some new toobs to play with on it.. graduate to a much better Amp at a later stage.

Wow your tastes are pretty unique, i've heard of people turning down the 6kHz by 5 Db but you're actually turning it up?

I know a friend of mine who likes his treble to be bit higher than most of us .... when we were teens, we used to do DIY amps and speakers and my friend used to keep adding on tweeters just becuase he couldnt get enough of treble ....

This actually seems a bit true when i consider my experience with audio, started listening as a teen and what interested me then is not what interests me now...

I find it often to be the other way around: young people like big mids and bass. They hate mids though, and I hated it in the beginning too: looking at my very early days of EQ, I applied a huge V-shape filter to already V-shaped headphones. A lot of my peers have similar approaches.

I used to do V-shape EQ's on my sony all-in-one players which were quite popular during the nineties though now it has changed much and i do like my vocals also, but it has become more of U shaped rather than V shaped.

Jul 24, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #4,597 of 9,308

Hi David,

Thanks for your inputs.. i will consider the Ember soon enough.. but will continue using the Aune T1 and see how it fares. Any good tubes that you could suggest for the Aune to have a good pairing ? I am currently running stock tube on it.

Cheers.

I gave my friend a Telefunken CCa, Amperex Holland SQ, Siemens Lorenz and a few others that I can't remember.  She really likes the Amperex Holland, says its the best with the K7XX and HD-650 that she has.

Jul 24, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #4,598 of 9,308

I gave my friend a Telefunken CCa, Amperex Holland SQ, Siemens Lorenz and a few others that I can't remember.  She really likes the Amperex Holland, says its the best with the K7XX and HD-650 that she has.

Hi DavidA,

I have been reading that the Amperex Holland pairs nicely with HD650, but i have been reading a lot of reviews in head-fi and find a mixed variety of responses. 

Its always the fear of not having a good match with the headphones that you plonk a good amount of $$$ into it that drives us to think and ask about the synergie.

Regards,
Cheers

Jul 25, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #4,599 of 9,308
  Hi DavidA,

I have been reading that the Amperex Holland pairs nicely with HD650, but i have been reading a lot of reviews in head-fi and find a mixed variety of responses. 

Its always the fear of not having a good match with the headphones that you plonk a good amount of $$$ into it that drives us to think and ask about the synergie.

Regards,
Cheers

Hear ya, everyone hears differently and even tubes from the same batch may sound different.  I have 3 sets of 6922 Telefunken, 2 sets are CCa's and the other is a generic gold pin, they all sound slightly different so if some say they are great and some say so-so they could both be correct.
Good luck with your tube search.

Jul 25, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #4,600 of 9,308
  Strange, I'm a college student and I find the HD700's treble to be quite pleasing. A little, little bit sharp, but nothing that bothers me too much.

Nope, you're not the only one. Though I do think that you might not think so once you have another headphone that has just as detailed treble, but isn't fatiguing to compare to.

Yeah, I'm around the same age as you, and something also has to be really treble heavy to really start bothering me (but that kind of music does exist out there).

Jul 25, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #4,602 of 9,308
  From what I have read. You are best to jump up to the HD800 or other flag ship headphones. No point in going from HD 600/650 to HD 700. There are many better choices in the HD 700's price range used or new.

Eh, well that's not how I feel at all. You can have the HD700 for around $400 now in the used market in excellent condition. The HD800 sells for $900 at the absolute lowest in decent condition. 

The HD700 can be just about as analytical as the HD800 if it is fed the right music through the right chain, and can be much more forgiving to lower bit rate files. 

Jul 25, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #4,603 of 9,308
I didn't find the HD 700's to be amazing for sound or price. I settled on a pair of Shure 1840's for $200. They sound much better than the HD 700's and compete with the HD 800 sound for a fraction of the Hd 700's price. I even preferred them to Beyerdynamic T1 Tesla.

Jul 25, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #4,604 of 9,308
  I didn't find the HD 700's to be amazing for sound or price. I settled on a pair of Shure 1840's for $200. They sound much better than the HD 700's and compete with the HD 800 sound for a fraction of the Hd 700's price. I even preferred them to Beyerdynamic T1 Tesla.

Well, I don't know how you got a pair of those for $200. I haven't heard a pair of 1840's, so I guess the debate ends here. 

Everyone should probably just tag the end of everything they say in these threads with YMMV because we all hear differently, some of us hear very differently 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 25, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #4,605 of 9,308
  Well, I don't know how you got a pair of those for $200. I haven't heard a pair of 1840's, so I guess the debate ends here. 

Everyone should probably just tag the end of everything they say in these threads with YMMV because we all hear differently, some of us hear very differently 
tongue_smile.gif

The 1840's sound so damn boring. Absolutely no fun to it. Much worse soundstage. And the bass distortion. Eurgh. That being said, they'd probably make excellent monitors, as it's so damn ruler-straight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back