Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jul 23, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #4,562 of 9,301
  Have both BH Crack and Ember, prefer the Ember for HD-700, Crack is good but Ember is better IMO, I think the impedance of the HD-700 is too low to get that great pairing with BH Crack like it does with the HD-650/800 that I have.

Hi David,

Thanks for your inputs.. i will consider the Ember soon enough.. but will continue using the Aune T1 and see how it fares. Any good tubes that you could suggest for the Aune to have a good pairing ? I am currently running stock tube on it.

Cheers.

Jul 23, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #4,563 of 9,301
  I got in on the most recent HD700 Massdrop as well.  So excited, it will be my first high end audiophile headphone!  I have SE 535's that I use for stage monitors, but they feel like tools to me (which they are pretty much) and lack that luxury I associate with the audio hi-fi.  My old iBasso D1 developed a weird humming noise so my only good amp will be my ProTools rack for now.  Hoping to get an Apogee Groove in the near future.

Hi J-dawg,

This is my first High End Audiophile grade heaphone,...... hope that impression lasts .. :)
Co-incidence, i too use the Shure SE 215 for my on the go listening.

What amps do you own now ?

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #4,564 of 9,301

No either one will serve you well.  My personal preference runs strongly in the direction of the Bottle Head, but any good tube amp should be fine.  I am using a SinglePower Extreme which has a 6SN7 input and 6080 power tubes (using 6AS7Gs right now) which is similar to BH.  The amp is accused of being sibilant especially during break in, and the tube amp really minimizes that effect. I like the HD 700s a lot so I think it is a good choice, but you may like different music etc.. I hope you like it .

Hello Mechans1,

thanks for your feedback. i listen mainly to rock and metal with some other genre's  like alternative, world music etc occasionally.  Hope that this Head phone satisfies my urge to upgrade for a long time to come..

I see that there is a mix of responses, though i cant try both of the amps at the same time unless i get a loaner piece for a week or so. For now, i will continue with my Aune and try other amps later.

Cheers

Jul 23, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #4,565 of 9,301
  Good question…hasn’t come up before…I’ve been periodically been wiping mine and the ear pads down with a warm damp cloth with diluted mild detergent and then a slightly damper cloth without.   
A while back cCasper TFG posted a shot of his 700s disassembled…headband intact...one would think that just the head-band pad should be replaceable.

Is it easy to disamble the HD700 like this?

Jul 23, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #4,566 of 9,301

Is it easy to disamble the HD700 like this?

Another good question..haven't tried...I do know they are not modular like my previous Hd580/600s...those were great as every piece was user replaceable....and no screws.
tongue.gif

Jul 23, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #4,567 of 9,301
i find it drives my K7XX like a beast. Bass is tight and punchy, but not as much as the HD700. 

Quote:
I own a V200, as well. It mates fairly poorly with K7XX, and accentuates the bass effect you describe.

Jul 23, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #4,569 of 9,301
I hope you understood what I meant..  The HD 700s can be  sibilant with  certain choices music, the source chosen and of course the amp especially  while the headphones are breaking in..  I was trying to advocate the use of a tube amp.  My tube amps have typical impedance numbers/Specs but in practice the problems people talk about appear somewhat exaggerated. 
For you  I would opt for the 6SN7 input tube 6080 output tube.  There is a thread about such an amp "Felix.. something"  forget the rest.  It is made in Europe but it  is not crazy expensive.  ( It may be made to order with your specific options or was at one point anyway.)
Although I have never heard the "Project Ember" it has a large and devoted following. It allows you to use your tube of choice, having added a socket that will accept octal tubes - which I think most would put their favorite 6SN7 tubes in.   I am tempted because I have a substantial collection of 6SN7s..  It is remarkably flexible in what tubes it will use.  I am nervous tonight having just subbed an Amperex (1959) 7316 -a 12AU7 variant, to a (1982) Siemens ECC801S, a 12AT7.  Sounds fabulous.  I hope my amp will work after this wild behavior! LOL
When I started rolling a dozen or more years ago, I would put anything that fit into sockets.!!!
Pursue your passions

Jul 23, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #4,570 of 9,301
[...]
For you  I would opt for the 6SN7 input tube 6080 output tube.  There is a thread about such an amp "Felix.. something"  forget the rest.  It is made in Europe but it  is not crazy expensive.  ( It may be made to order with your specific options or was at one point anyway.)
[...]

http://www.head-fi.org/t/732875/feliks-audio-elise-previously-6sn7-6as7g-6080-prototype

Jul 23, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #4,571 of 9,301

Honest Q: does anyone have an example of a headphone with a ton of bass that's ALSO controlled? Because it seems like every single time bass comes up, there's an inverse correlation between the "quality" people refer to in bass and its quantity. Every headphone that's mentioned as having tight, controlled bass also has light bass, and every bassy headphone is described as bloated and flabby. To hear people on here describe it, it's physically impossible for a lot of bass notes to be "tight". Volume necessarily precludes control. I dunno.

I would say that you probably have to go up to something like the HE-1000 or Abyss to get lots of bass that's also well-controlled (at least in my opinion, I have heard both). Although there are people who say that the HE1000 doesn't have lots of bass or that the Abyss has slightly flabby bass.

I guess there are also people who would say that Audeze headphones have lots of bass and are well-controlled, but I don't really like their sound signature so I won't comment further on that.

Jul 23, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #4,573 of 9,301

I would say that you probably have to go up to something like the HE-1000 or Abyss to get lots of bass that's also well-controlled (at least in my opinion, I have heard both). Although there are people who say that the HE1000 doesn't have lots of bass or that the Abyss has slightly flabby bass.

I guess there are also people who would say that Audeze headphones have lots of bass and are well-controlled, but I don't really like their sound signature so I won't comment further on that.

I admit I love Audeze, or at least my old pre-fazor LCD-2's, and yeah they're bassy for open-backs but that's about it. 

I suppose what seems to be the case, at least from how I see it, is that so often it's not that the drivers themselves are bad in bass output so much as there's the natural consequence of a high amount of bass in a closed chamber. You could spend a load of money on, say, an Image Dynamics or Fi Audio subwoofer in your car, but when it's pumping out heavy SPL no matter how much control it's got it'll drown out the rest of the spectrum, so I often get annoyed at "it has muddy bass!" No it doesn't, it has amazing bass, what you're hearing is what happens when there's a lot of bass in the sound, your beef is with physics, not the speaker.

Just kind of a peeve of mine. XD

Jul 23, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #4,574 of 9,301
Apologies for the dumb question, but I had the opportunity to give these a go in Tokyo's Akiba department store, and I was blown away by the HD700. I even got the chance to try out the HD800, T1, and W5000 and I just found myself enjoying the HD700 so, so much more than the previous 3 even though it was unamped, running straight through my HTC One. So, the question is, exactly how necessary is amping for these cans? I was already very impressed with them unamped; is buying an amp for them really that important, considering I'm on a pretty right budget? I know amping will obviously improve the performance, but is the improvement significant enough to justify spending $200+?

Willing to spend up to $100ish if that's the case, so recommendations are appreciated :)

Jul 23, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #4,575 of 9,301
  Apologies for the dumb question, but I had the opportunity to give these a go in Tokyo's Akiba department store, and I was blown away by the HD700. I even got the chance to try out the HD800, T1, and W5000 and I just found myself enjoying the HD700 so, so much more than the previous 3 even though it was unamped, running straight through my HTC One. So, the question is, exactly how necessary is amping for these cans? I was already very impressed with them unamped; is buying an amp for them really that important, considering I'm on a pretty right budget? I know amping will obviously improve the performance, but is the improvement significant enough to justify spending $200+?

Willing to spend up to $100ish if that's the case, so recommendations are appreciated :)

I actually remember the HD700 already sounding pretty dang decent out of the HTC One. I can assure you that the HD700 does sound better out of better sources, but how much better I'm not exactly sure as I haven't made the comparison between the HD700 out of actual headphone amps and the HTC One in a while.

Let me get back to you on this soon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back