Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jul 22, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #4,546 of 9,320
What is a good cable to replace the stock with?  Am I better off with SIlver Plated Copper like the Stock or just straight Copper Litz?  And is it worth spending over $130 on this "HeadPhoneLounge" Guy, or are there better deals out there?  I just want something shorter mainly, if it sounds better then the stock thats great too.

Jul 22, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #4,547 of 9,320
  Just ordered the HD700 on the massdrop offer, was too hard to resist .. did try to avoid the purchase
biggrin.gif
, but that never works eh ?

I currently have an Aune T1 which will be feeding the HD700. But i was thinking of the BH Crack or the Project Ember to go with it.

What would u suggest as a better option ? or something entirely different ?

I got in on the most recent HD700 Massdrop as well.  So excited, it will be my first high end audiophile headphone!  I have SE 535's that I use for stage monitors, but they feel like tools to me (which they are pretty much) and lack that luxury I associate with the audio hi-fi.  My old iBasso D1 developed a weird humming noise so my only good amp will be my ProTools rack for now.  Hoping to get an Apogee Groove in the near future.

Jul 22, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #4,548 of 9,320
If you like your se535 a lot you will probably going to love HD700. In my case I wanted a headphone with se535 mids and clarity but with good deep bass, well extended treble and huge soundstage (I know I wanted a lot) and when I finally got my HD700 I had that end-game feeling for the first time (meaning no urge to upgrade again). For me it was 1st headphone to have exactly what I wanted. Hope you will have a pleasant experience with your HD700.

Jul 22, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #4,549 of 9,320
  What is a good cable to replace the stock with?  Am I better off with SIlver Plated Copper like the Stock or just straight Copper Litz?  And is it worth spending over $130 on this "HeadPhoneLounge" Guy, or are there better deals out there?  I just want something shorter mainly, if it sounds better then the stock thats great too.

Ted is highly recommended. I got his SPC cable with balanced termination, for running HD700 straight out of AK120 II. Make sure you get the SPC Litz, to prevent the cable from turning green due to oxidation.

Prior to that, I bought a $39 cable from e-Bay. It was also SPC but was terminated in unbalanced 3.5mm jack.
This was from china and took 20 days to get here. But quality was good. If you don't like to spend more, this is also a great choice. I did not notice any SQ change over stock.

Jul 22, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #4,550 of 9,320
  If you like your se535 a lot you will probably going to love HD700. In my case I wanted a headphone with se535 mids and clarity but with good deep bass, well extended treble and huge soundstage (I know I wanted a lot) and when I finally got my HD700 I had that end-game feeling for the first time (meaning no urge to upgrade again). For me it was 1st headphone to have exactly what I wanted. Hope you will have a pleasant experience with your HD700.

The HD700 really have deep bass? I thought most Sennheiser headphones are good at mids and highs, but not so much for the bass, i mean they do have bass, but it's not like Beyerdynamic or Philip X2 bass right?
Or the HD700 actually have good deep bass?

Jul 22, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #4,551 of 9,320
  The HD700 really have deep bass? I thought most Sennheiser headphones are good at mids and highs, but not so much for the bass, i mean they do have bass, but it's not like Beyerdynamic or Philip X2 bass right?
Or the HD700 actually have good deep bass?

From what I have read in multiple posts, I would use words like "Tight, Responsive, Quick, Detailed" bass, but not deep.  I shall receive my pair in a few weeks time and post my feedback.

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #4,552 of 9,320
About bass depth (not from memory - just finished the comparison, no EQ, all flat):

Denon D600 > shure se846(no filter) > Fidelio X1 > HD700 >>>>> Shure se535 

Tracks used for comparison (in wav/flac format): 

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #4,553 of 9,320
I wouldn't even call them bass light as that term is relative. They have more bass than a HD600 or DT880, by quite a bit. They have less bass than a K7XX and are a ton more controlled.

Jul 22, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #4,554 of 9,320
  Just ordered the HD700 on the massdrop offer, was too hard to resist .. did try to avoid the purchase
biggrin.gif
, but that never works eh ?

I currently have an Aune T1 which will be feeding the HD700. But i was thinking of the BH Crack or the Project Ember to go with it.

What would u suggest as a better option ? or something entirely different ?

Have both BH Crack and Ember, prefer the Ember for HD-700, Crack is good but Ember is better IMO, I think the impedance of the HD-700 is too low to get that great pairing with BH Crack like it does with the HD-650/800 that I have.

Jul 22, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #4,555 of 9,320
  I wouldn't even call them bass light as that term is relative. They have more bass than a HD600 or DT880, by quite a bit. They have less bass than a K7XX and are a ton more controlled.

Wow, HD700 has more bass than DT880? That's a good thing to hear, cause I know those Beyerdynamic DT lines headphones all have great bass, like DT 770, 880, and 990.

Jul 22, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #4,557 of 9,320
I use the V200 amp which is already incredibly powerful. I doubt it'd control it much better than this.

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #4,558 of 9,320

Honest Q: does anyone have an example of a headphone with a ton of bass that's ALSO controlled? Because it seems like every single time bass comes up, there's an inverse correlation between the "quality" people refer to in bass and its quantity. Every headphone that's mentioned as having tight, controlled bass also has light bass, and every bassy headphone is described as bloated and flabby. To hear people on here describe it, it's physically impossible for a lot of bass notes to be "tight". Volume necessarily precludes control. I dunno.

Jul 23, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #4,559 of 9,320
Sorry if this has already been answered, but I'm struggling to find an answer: Does anyone know how to remove the headband pad?  I want to clean mine, and there are plastic tabs on both sides of it that I figured would release it, or the plastic that holds it in place, but I've had no luck.

Jul 23, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #4,560 of 9,320
  Sorry if this has already been answered, but I'm struggling to find an answer: Does anyone know how to remove the headband pad?  I want to clean mine, and there are plastic tabs on both sides of it that I figured would release it, or the plastic that holds it in place, but I've had no luck.

Good question…hasn’t come up before…I’ve been periodically been wiping mine and the ear pads down with a warm damp cloth with diluted mild detergent and then a slightly damper cloth without.   
A while back cCasper TFG posted a shot of his 700s disassembled…headband intact...one would think that just the head-band pad should be replaceable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back