Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
May 21, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #3,916 of 9,320
Hi Casper, thanks for the help with the DT-990,
Is it better to have the tube function a part of the DAC or the AMP?  Or both?  If the tube is a function of the DAC then the output can be sent to any amp, tube or SS, but you would be still getting the feed from a tube source so your SS AMP will be working with a tube signal.  Still new to this so wanted to ask if there is a consensus opinion as to which way is preferred.

I'm not totally sure of which is better to be honest. My Crack is warmer than the Aune T1 I used to have (with 7308 tube). The Aune was neutral as heck while the Crack has a SLIGHT warmth increase. It isn't much. I couldn't hear much difference veteran the stock Aune tube and the 7308 when I had it.

May 22, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #3,917 of 9,320
Aune T1 Mk2?  Its $170 on amazon.

The Aune there uses a tube in the DAC stage, and the amp stage is solid state.

Another possible tube amp option is the Garage1217 amps, they come at a range of prices and are well reviewed.

I almost got a Bravo/Indeed amp, but... glad I skipped it to a Single Ended Triode (SET) tube hybrid amp made by Zigis (a DIY guy here on Head-Fi) because it had nicer parts than the bravos. Specifically, no grounding issue, nicer film resistors, bigger capacitor, etc etc but basically it feeds power to my headphones well without annoying volume roll-off in the bass or treble, has great impact to the notes (POOM! Ba da da DUN!), and really allows the character of my tubes to shine through. Nice that I only need one tube, much cheaper.

The downside of tube amps is a cellphone or wifi emitter nearby will make little screeching noises, though you don't have to move things further than a meter to have a clean sound.

May 22, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #3,918 of 9,320
I almost got a Bravo/Indeed amp, but... glad I skipped it to a Single Ended Triode (SET) tube hybrid amp made by Zigis (a DIY guy here on Head-Fi) because it had nicer parts than the bravos. Specifically, no grounding issue, nicer film resistors, bigger capacitor, etc etc but basically it feeds power to my headphones well without annoying volume roll-off in the bass or treble, has great impact to the notes (POOM! Ba da da DUN!), and really allows the character of my tubes to shine through. Nice that I only need one tube, much cheaper.

The downside of tube amps is a cellphone or wifi emitter nearby will make little screeching noises, though you don't have to move things further than a meter to have a clean sound.

Hi. What is the name of the amp you are talking about?

May 22, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #3,919 of 9,320

I want a desktop tube amp so can't buy the Objective 2 but thanks for your suggestion . Yes I want the hd 700 to sound warmer. I always use my pc as source and I have Creative X-fi Titnatium HD soundcard. I only want a tube amp. My budget is strictly fixed at $200. After some searching I sorted :

Bravo audio Ocean
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A2QKSVI

Little Dot MKII
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Dot-MKII-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00A2QMAI2

HiFiMan - EF-2A (Not gonna use the built-in dac how it's amp quality?)
http://www.amazon.com/HiFiMan-EF-2A-Tube-Hybrid-Headphone/dp/B004357WL8

Fiio E09k (Though its not tube but there are many positive reviews on amazon so I'd like to know how it compete with the above amps specially the bravo ocean as their price are not very different)
http://www.amazon.com/E09K-Output-Desktop-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B008J26ZL4

Umm, just get a Schiit Vali. Best amp for HD700 (and I think HD800) for under $150 ($120). It won't give you that super warm tubey sound but it will tame the treble a bit and sound great.

Only negative things about Vali is that there is a noise floor (slight hiss) that you can only hear when there is nothing being played. It also takes about 10-20 seconds to warm up and there will be a slight ringing during this time. These aren't major issues for me, given how great the Vali sounds for the price. 

If you don't have a DAC, I highly suggest you get one. Most people recommend either the Objective ODAC or Schiit Modi 2 as good, cheap DACs for around $100ish.

May 22, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #3,920 of 9,320
Yeah. I figured magni 2 from schiit (seriously, they sound like a curse word) couldn't get rid of those treble peaks.
They do make the sound somewhat balanced, though treble still dominates the frequency.

Does anybody used asgard 2 for amping 700 though?

May 22, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #3,921 of 9,320
Yeah. I figured magni 2 from schiit (seriously, they sound like a curse word) couldn't get rid of those treble peaks.
They do make the sound somewhat balanced, though treble still dominates the frequency.

I have an Asgard 2 and HD700. If you don't like the treble from the Magni 2, you most likely won't like it from the Asgard 2. If you want to warm it up a bit, try the Valhalla. That seems to tame it a bit. Also, tubes can modify the sound.

May 22, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #3,922 of 9,320

Asgard2 and HD-700 is not a good pair, its about the same as the Magni, maybe very slightly less bright/harsh sounding but I couldn't listen for more than a few minutes.

May 23, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #3,924 of 9,320
here's my the comparison between two semi-flagships from two different companies.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k712-pro/reviews/13204

I will start updating review once i plug the 700s on those tube amps aswell.

May 23, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #3,926 of 9,320
  here's my the comparison between two semi-flagships from two different companies.

Thanks for your comparative perceptions KopaZ

While some of our listening experiences are similar, mine do differ with regards to the HD700s, with my ears and set-up, I find the HD700s very linear, therefore from treble down to the base, the full audio spectrum is very even handed, same for the K712s. But for me the HD700s are better focused and distinctly layered with regards to imaging details and staging, more sophisticated overall so that more often than not I get the sense of having a direct feed off the recording, the AKGs less so.

To use an analogy, for me the HD700s are like being dressed from a custom tailor, while the K712s being the same outfit have been selected off the rack, which may or may not be a perfect fit, and IMHO reflected in the overall sound experience and price difference, Sennheiser’s R&D have made something special with the HD700s and as much as I respect AKG as a long time supporter, the K712s even though a nice upgrade from my previous K701s was more of a band-aid approach with their classic design in offering a new headphone....mostly due to new ear pads

May 23, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #3,927 of 9,320
  Thanks for your comparative perceptions KopaZ

While some of our listening experiences are similar, mine do differ with regards to the HD700s, with my ears and set-up, I find the HD700s very linear, therefore from treble down to the base, the full audio spectrum is very even handed, same for the K712s. But for me the HD700s are better focused and distinctly layered with regards to imaging details and staging, more sophisticated overall so that more often than not I get the sense of having a direct feed off the recording, the AKGs less so.

To use an analogy, for me the HD700s are like being dressed from a custom tailor, while the K712s being the same outfit have been selected off the rack, which may or may not be a perfect fit, and IMHO reflected in the overall sound experience and price difference, Sennheiser’s R&D have made something special with the HD700s and as much as I respect AKG as a long time supporter, the K712s even though a nice upgrade from my previous K701s was more of a band-aid approach with their classic design in offering a new headphone....mostly due to new ear pads

To be fair, you're using a far superior $1,000+ amp compared to his $100 Magni. Not saying price = quality, but in this case, it is.

Magni has also been known to not be a good pairing with HD700. Vali would have been a much better pairing with HD700 for that price range.

He did say he is getting an Asgard and Valhalla soon though, so maybe his opinion of HD700 will change with better amps.

BTW nice setup. I like the dual Sennheiser HH 10 clip on headphone holders. I think they're discontinued now. Always wanted one of those but didn't feel like spending $50+ for it. 
tongue.gif

May 23, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #3,928 of 9,320
  To be fair, you're using a far superior $1,000+ amp compared to his $100 Magni. Not saying price = quality, but in this case, it is.

True, also where as AKG’s drivers are more forgiving and sound very good from even older vintage receivers, the drivers in the HD700s while being very nimble and articulate do not fair as well from lesser sources and amplification IMHO and will suffer and reveal any anomalies and arbitrations further up the chain. The BHA-1 being very linear at amplifying any signal with it’s robust and stable power supply for which Brystons are known for, allow the HD700s to perform at their best without any annoying peaks..at least none that I've experienced.

May 23, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #3,929 of 9,320
Agree completely that good amplification eliminates the entire treble peaks issue. I didn't think anything could top my HDVA600 but lately have listening to the new Musical Fidelity MX-HPA and it is wonderful with the HD 700's, definitely a notch better.

May 23, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #3,930 of 9,320

nice review.

although i would respectfully disagree on few points.

i do find mids of 700 fairly meaty.

also i think soundstage is focused with excellent depth. i heard q701 and i think it had very wide soundstage. probably more so even than 700. but no back to back comparison so cant say. where 700 excels is layering. some instruments sound in your face while others sound distant. i think its narrow soundstage but technically very competent.

as for treble peaks, i also find 700 fatiguing with solid state amps. imo, its cause ss amps have iron fisted control over drivers, couple that with very high resolution is the reason for it being fatiguing. after 700 i will never pair any higher end dynamic hps with ss amps for my personal listening. when i paired it with daps, it was lot less fatiguing cause of drop in resolution. i may be wrong, if anyone has other theory behind this i would like to read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back