Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
May 16, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #3,826 of 9,320
Listening to my HD700s through an Asgard 2. First real chance to listen with no one else in the house. I must say this is a good combination. Also, sounds good through the Valhalla 2. It's going to be a good day!

May 16, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #3,827 of 9,320

Hi there I just got this cables for my HD700s to use them more easily than the standard 3m cable on my second/portable system. They have the mono plugs with the notch onto a 3.5mm stereo plug with a 6.5mm screw on adapter which all look to be made well as far as I can tell. Currently listening to my HD700s via iPhone and ifi micro iDSD dac amp and I cannot find any significant difference when I swap between cables. Its 1.2m long so ideal for on a desk or even on a plane/train at a push. Oh yes got it from Amazon UK at £29 which seems very reasonable.

May 16, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #3,828 of 9,320
I had the Sony's and the plugs are not compatible. The HD700 plugs are a smaller diameter than the Sony's. The Sony has standard 3.5mm plugs but the 700's are quite a bit smaller, maybe 2.5mm.

You can simply use a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter.
It costs only a few dollars. This adapter will give you that small diameter that fits HD700. So, can anyone try Sony PHA-3, Sony balanced cable, these 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter with HD700?

May 16, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #3,829 of 9,320
You can simply use a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter.
It costs only a few dollars. This adapter will give you that small diameter that fits HD700. So, can anyone try Sony PHA-3, Sony balanced cable, these 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter with HD700?

I still don't think this will work. The barrel has to have a flat side to fit into opening.

May 16, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #3,831 of 9,320
I doubt it because the original Sennheiser plug is very small and has a flat side.

May 16, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #3,832 of 9,320
I'm one of those people who vastly prefers the HD600 to the HD650, a lot of it due to the relative aggressive bass profile of the HD650.  People in the same camp who have tried the HD700, how did you feel about it?  So many of the comparative reviews seem to focus on the improved bass that it's a little worrying.

May 16, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #3,834 of 9,320
  Here is a picture of cable I made for HD-700 and Momentum.  The pins are both 2.5mm, the top two are the HD-700 and there is a flat area on the HD-700 pin to fit the headphone socket.

Nice job, man...they look great

May 16, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #3,836 of 9,320
Surprised nobody mentioned that the HD700 is socially abnormal and will get stares and questions if you wear such large headphones in public while walking around. TH900 and K812 as well. I wore a much smaller pair of Bluetooth headphones and I got all these "Cyberman" comments. However, if you meant you wanted these headphones to use while you were in an office, that would be fine.

I liked the HD700, and once you get used to them other headphones can sound weird... but they're not a reference/neutral headphone. I like their thick mids and cohesive presentation (except it does have a small treble area in a bit of a "spotlight," but I liked that okay too), but they're not what I'd call neutral. What is neutral anyway, I can hear things better through headphones than live performances in most venues :wink:

May 16, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #3,837 of 9,320
Surprised nobody mentioned that the HD700 is socially abnormal and will get stares and questions if you wear such large headphones in public while walking around. TH900 and K812 as well. I wore a much smaller pair of Bluetooth headphones and I got all these "Cyberman" comments. However, if you meant you wanted these headphones to use while you were in an office, that would be fine.

I liked the HD700, and once you get used to them other headphones can sound weird... but they're not a reference/neutral headphone. I like their thick mids and cohesive presentation (except it does have a small treble area in a bit of a "spotlight," but I liked that okay too), but they're not what I'd call neutral. What is neutral anyway, I can hear things better through headphones than live performances in most venues
wink.gif

As for using the HD700 in public, my girlfriend uses mine when she walks our dog and always gets asked what kind of headphone is it.  She's tiny (5-2, 96lbs) and the HD700 looks huge on her.  A lot of curious ones ask if they can listen to them and are usually blown away by the sound, I think the public mass is used to beats and bose.

I remember one girl who had on Beats Pro wireless and tried the HD700, she said that the person at best buy told her the beats was the best headphone made, lol.  We ran in to her a few weeks later walking out dog and she had on a pair of HD700's, said she sold the beats a few days after hearing the HD700 and got her pair from amazon

May 16, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #3,838 of 9,320
  As for using the HD700 in public, my girlfriend uses mine when she walks our dog and always gets asked what kind of headphone is it.  She's tiny (5-2, 96lbs) and the HD700 looks huge on her.  A lot of curious ones ask if they can listen to them and are usually blown away by the sound, I think the public mass is used to beats and bose.

I remember one girl who had on Beats Pro wireless and tried the HD700, she said that the person at best buy told her the beats was the best headphone made, lol.  We ran in to her a few weeks later walking out dog and she had on a pair of HD700's, said she sold the beats a few days after hearing the HD700 and got her pair from amazon

Hallelujah! A soul has just been saved from the fires of hell that is Beats!
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #3,839 of 9,320
Speaking of using fullsizes in public, yeah, I'm not seeing lots of fullsizes in street nowadays. I do see some cheap $40 made in china cool-looking headphones.
I think the trend is now going to IEM/earbuds now.
I don't use IEMs now since they have way too small soundstage compared to full-sizes... Which matters to me, since classical depends a lot on soundstage :p
Good thing that she now knows the hi-fi world does exist... Many are still in hells of overpowered boom boom bass in BeatsLand. :)

May 17, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #3,840 of 9,320
Speaking of using fullsizes in public, yeah, I'm not seeing lots of fullsizes in street nowadays. I do see some cheap $40 made in china cool-looking headphones.
I think the trend is now going to IEM/earbuds now.
I don't use IEMs now since they have way too small soundstage compared to full-sizes... Which matters to me, since classical depends a lot on soundstage :p
Good thing that she now knows the hi-fi world does exist... Many are still in hells of overpowered boom boom bass in BeatsLand.
smily_headphones1.gif

Speak for yourself: I see plenty of CIEM's around uni. Though, I have no idea how people manage to walk around with full-sized cans like the HD700. It's not just bulky, but the fact that they're often open, and thus you can't hear anything the minute you step out of your room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back