Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Apr 6, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #3,466 of 9,320
Back to the stock cable for a moment, as I'm losing my mind with it.  Besides the kinking, the thing won't straighten out.  Tried massaging it for way too long in front of a spaceheater, and that did approximately absolutely NOTHING!  Feeling frisky I said hot water.  Filled a pot, brought it up to just starting to form tiny bubbles on the bottom and dunked the coiled cable in, up until the plastic ends.  Gave it a few minutes, pulled it out then massaged.  Did that a few times.  It's a lot straighter now, but still not totally.  

And drives me insane it always wants to twist after the Y split.  And still kinks if I just look at.

I can't believe anyone at Sennheiser would approve of this cable.

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #3,467 of 9,320
  Back to the stock cable for a moment, as I'm losing my mind with it.  Besides the kinking, the thing won't straighten out.  Tried massaging it for way too long in front of a spaceheater, and that did approximately absolutely NOTHING!  Feeling frisky I said hot water.  Filled a pot, brought it up to just starting to form tiny bubbles on the bottom and dunked the coiled cable in, up until the plastic ends.  Gave it a few minutes, pulled it out then massaged.  Did that a few times.  It's a lot straighter now, but still not totally.  

And drives me insane it always wants to twist after the Y split.  And still kinks if I just look at.

I'm glad it's not just me...I don't what Sennheiser is smoking, but they really have some cable issues. It's pretty rare that I absolutely hate a headphone, but the Amperiors fall into that category for me. That damn "cable" is like licorice, and the little notches in the headband act like scissors if it's not pefectly in the notch. Now this damn HD700 cable just will NOT CHILL. It's doing exactly what you're desbribing, making me feel like it's trying to choke me out when I'm not paying attention. 

Sennheiser cables make my Grado cables seem normal. 

Apr 6, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #3,468 of 9,320
I make my own cables. Seems like stock is always garbage. Lol
I'm glad it's not just me...I don't what Sennheiser is smoking, but they really have some cable issues. It's pretty rare that I absolutely hate a headphone, but the Amperiors fall into that category for me. That damn "cable" is like licorice, and the little notches in the headband act like scissors if it's not pefectly in the notch. Now this damn HD700 cable just will NOT CHILL. It's doing exactly what you're desbribing, making me feel like it's trying to choke me out when I'm not paying attention. 

Apr 6, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #3,469 of 9,320
Didn't realize there was such an issue with the stock cable - does the HD800 suffer from this as well - it looks similar.

I wonder if the issue is the cable or the sheathing?

The 700s just got delivered this afternoon - hope to snag an hour to listen tonight.

Bill

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #3,471 of 9,320
  Didn't realize there was such an issue with the stock cable - does the HD800 suffer from this as well - it looks similar.

I wonder if the issue is the cable or the sheathing?

The 700s just got delivered this afternoon - hope to snag an hour to listen tonight.

Bill

I can understand the frustration some people may have with the cable, but I honestly think some people blown it way out of proportion and exaggerate their complaints.

The kinking can be annoying but it's really not that bad. I'd rather have a high quality cable built like a tank than a flimsy, thin, flexible, pliable cable that comes with most other headphones and IEMs.

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #3,473 of 9,320
I've said this before somewhere in this thread. I think Sennheiser should have included much more accessories with the HD700.

Just 1 cable is simply unacceptable for a headphone they originally wanted to charge $1,000+ for. The street price of $550-$750 is still very expensive and consumers deserve more than just a headphone and 1 cable for that price. It should at least come with a shorter, more portable cable and a 3.5 mm adapter. A carrying case would've also been an awesome bonus to include with the package, but I don't blame them for not throwing one in, since HD700 isn't meant to be portable. 

The $325 I paid for mine ($352 with tax), I'm not complaining. But if I were to purchase this for $550+, I would be annoyed at Sennheiser's cheapness. 

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #3,474 of 9,320

tried a heat gun and it didn't help, someone suggested I try the volcano since I live in Hawaii but I don't think heat will help.

Agree, even the Grado cable is better than the Senn.  But I still made new cables for them since I wanted longer ones.

I can understand the frustration some people may have with the cable, but I honestly think some people blown it way out of proportion and exaggerate their complaints.

The kinking can be annoying but it's really not that bad. I'd rather have a high quality cable built like a tank than a flimsy, thin, flexible, pliable cable that comes with most other headphones and IEMs.

I think the frustration comes from those that have good cables that don't kink and get twisted up with any other cable near them.

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #3,475 of 9,320
  I've said this before somewhere in this thread. I think Sennheiser should have included much more accessories with the HD700.

Just 1 cable is simply unacceptable for a headphone they originally wanted to charge $1,000+ for. The street price of $550-$750 is still very expensive and consumers deserve more than just a headphone and 1 cable for that price. It should at least come with a shorter, more portable cable and a 3.5 mm adapter. A carrying case would've also been an awesome bonus to include with the package, but I don't blame them for not throwing one in, since HD700 isn't meant to be portable. 

The $325 I paid for mine ($352 with tax), I'm not complaining. But if I were to purchase this for $550+, I would be annoyed at Sennheiser's cheapness. 

where did you get it for $325?  I would love to get a second one for my son.

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #3,476 of 9,320
I love irony. Lol
Cheers,
:beerchug:

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #3,477 of 9,320

where did you get it for $325?  I would love to get a second one for my son.

It was a sale a few days before the last Black Friday. Only lasted for like 6 hours before Sennheiser sold out of their entire stock of B-stcok HD700s. Then they pulled their whole sale down after a day or so. I don't think we'll see a sale like that any time soon, especially directly from Sennheiser. 

I love irony. Lol
Cheers,
beerchug.gif

What irony?

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #3,479 of 9,320
Apr 6, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #3,480 of 9,320
I don't really have too many issues with the stock cable. As it's so long it just sits on the floor and so the kinks don't really affect anything. I wouldn't mind straightening it out just to satisfy my OCD if anyone figures out how to do it. I usually make custom cables for my headphones but I like the stock cable's 6.3mm plug too much :p

I'm more bothered by the fact that there's only 30 AWG wires inside it despite it being so thick. Would prefer if it was 26awg.

So yesterday I was asking about the Asgard 2. I decided to step up a league or two and picked up a used Burson Soloist SL from the for sale section. Should be here later this week. Heard lots of good things about it's synergy with HD800 so hoping it'll be just as good with HD700.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back