Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Apr 4, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #3,421 of 9,316
So does the HD700 worth $700? Or are there better ones? @.@

To whom?  To me I think they were worth the money I paid for them, which was about 10-15% less    than new.   There does seem to be a great deal polarization in terms of the SQ  they help deliver.  Some like myself, like their clarity, other think there is too much treble energy/balance and want softer edged HPs.  Another salient characteristic is the amp dependency. With smaller less powerful amps they do convey a harder etched and somewhat grainy sound.  With the larger desk top I use  albeit with significant tube investment it sounds fabulous to me, revealing details with good imaging etc. I tried a smaller  tube amp  the hard edged sound was clearly present with a good dose of sibilance.  I have not heard them with SS gear, it might demonstrate the etched and crunchy sound many reject.
That's my interpretation of this love hate relationship.
It does make me wonder if this is an under performing HUD 800 and am now hooked so I might have to consider them now.
This comes from a tube amp person (me) with my former floor standers and seriously good tube gear and a collection of tubes which I realize now that I should sell.  When I bought the little Bravo 2, I listened  to the Shuagang it wasn't terrible but my tube rolling mindset required a change.   So what did I do, fihed in the hord for my favorite bought well before the massive industry BS labeling every thing and its brother 7316s  I  had a short sleeve of Amperex Heerlen factory tube also in the glas the  Ctl.  the Heerlen right triangle under that a date  code in the glass coming 1959  and other early sixties, but not this crap with with Tunsram  and every other manufacturers 12AU7s .  Caveat emptor my friends.  PS these tubes were made for early computers and a good source can be Hewlett Packard and other pulls that are in shape at this point.
I used to get them fairly cheap but todays standard are insanely expensive and prohibitive.
If confused write a PM with questions I will do my best to answer from a very limited fund of knowledg

Apr 4, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #3,422 of 9,316
  I did mix up the Modi/Magni with O2/ODAC. However, I knew I've read somewhere in this thread that O2/ODAC was too bright with HD700...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/612502/sennheiser-hd-700-impressions-thread/2535#post_11188150

http://www.head-fi.org/t/612502/sennheiser-hd-700-impressions-thread/2625#post_11223352

Don't have the O2/ODAC so I can't compare myself. I know it's a good DAC/amp but it's also solid state and it's known to be a bit on the brighter side. Thus, I don't think it pairs well with HD700. 

I know you disagree because that's your setup and you're happy with it. I'm just trying to help this guy make a good decision. Hopefully he does more research himself and come to his own conclusions.

To me, it's not bright or dark: it just is. It quite literally has no difference to shoving your headphone into the jack of your DAP and upping the volume. That's why it's a decent amp to keep around (not saying it should be used all the time): it's more or less the perfect reference for other amps for comparison.

Don't worry about me taking it personally: it's pretty obvious that the O2 is far from the ideal amp for the HD700. It just serves beautifully as a straight-A amplifier that does the main job of the amplifier: amplify. Colouring and all that other stuff, nope: the O2 has none of that.

When people ask me if the O2 is a decent amp, I ask them if they like the signature of their headphone as-is (without amping). If yes, get the O2. If not, go elsewhere.

Of course, if you reckon the HD700's are bright, stay away from the O2/ODAC: either get another set of cans or try amps that nuke the treble.

Apr 4, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #3,423 of 9,316

To me, it's not bright or dark: it just is. It quite literally has no difference to shoving your headphone into the jack of your DAP and upping the volume. That's why it's a decent amp to keep around (not saying it should be used all the time): it's more or less the perfect reference for other amps for comparison.

Don't worry about me taking it personally: it's pretty obvious that the O2 is far from the ideal amp for the HD700. It just serves beautifully as a straight-A amplifier that does the main job of the amplifier: amplify. Colouring and all that other stuff, nope: the O2 has none of that.

When people ask me if the O2 is a decent amp, I ask them if they like the signature of their headphone as-is (without amping). If yes, get the O2. If not, go elsewhere.

Of course, if you reckon the HD700's are bright, stay away from the O2/ODAC: either get another set of cans or try amps that nuke the treble.

After some reading through various threads I'm definitely leaning towards Schiit stack again. I don't think HD700s are too bright, however I'm affraid they may start becoming a bit fatiguing over time (and I tend to only take my headphones off when I go to sleep).
As I don't want the HD700 getting any brighter, I'm quite tempted to try the warm sound of tubes. Meanwhile another question came to mind. Is it worth spending more and getting Modi 2 / Valhalla 2 instead of Modi 2 / Vali stack? The Modi/Valhalla along with the cables would cost me exactly £400 while Modi/Vali about half the amount. I'd rather spend less, but if it's justified I'll go straight to Valhalla.

EDIT:
I gave it another thought and decided to go for Modi2/Vali stack. If I don't like the tubes - well, I don't lose out too much and if I do like them and feel the need to upgrade I can go for Valhalla then.

Thank you everybody for invaluable contribution, this must be the most helpful forum I ever came across.

Apr 4, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #3,424 of 9,316
  After some reading through various threads I'm definitely leaning towards Schiit stack again. I don't think HD700s are too bright, however I'm affraid they may start becoming a bit fatiguing over time (and I tend to only take my headphones off when I go to sleep).
As I don't want the HD700 getting any brighter, I'm quite tempted to try the warm sound of tubes. Meanwhile another question came to mind. Is it worth spending more and getting Modi 2 / Valhalla 2 instead of Modi 2 / Vali stack? The Modi/Valhalla along with the cables would cost me exactly £400 while Modi/Vali about half the amount. I'd rather spend less, but if it's justified I'll go straight to Valhalla.

EDIT:
I gave it another thought and decided to go for Modi2/Vali stack. If I don't like the tubes - well, I don't lose out too much and if I do like them and feel the need to upgrade I can go for Valhalla then.

Thank you everybody for invaluable contribution, this must be the most helpful forum I ever came across.

Be sure you enjoy these headphones: don't get too caught up trying to chase the perfect amp. Have fun!

Apr 4, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #3,425 of 9,316

EDIT:

I think you'll be very happy with the Vali. I know I am. It truly "punches above its weight." The only downsides to the Vali is the fact that it takes about 20 seconds to warm up and for the ringing to stop (it makes a ringing sound when you turn it on, in case you didn't know). You also can't hit it or you'll hear the ringing again, but I believe all tube amps are the same. Finally, you can't roll tubes with the Vali, meaning you can't try out different tubes to get different sound signatures like some tube amps allow.

Any upgrade from the Vali will cost you exponentially more money, while diminishing returns kicks in hard. Basically, you'll only get 10-20% improvement by spending 3-5x+ more money. 

Just for you information, Vali, Lyr 2, and Project Ember are all hybrid solid state / tube amps. Meanwhile, amps like Valhalla 2 and Bottlehead Crack are OTL (output transformerless) tube amps. If you want to know more about the differences, do some more research before you make your next upgrade. 

Apr 4, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #3,426 of 9,316
  Be sure you enjoy these headphones: don't get too caught up trying to chase the perfect amp. Have fun!

I want to heartily second the motion, have fun is spot on.  There appears to be a lot angst in many postings., let it go and enjoy your stuff. If you be with gear your love,love the gear your with.  For a while anyway before upgraditis hits you badly.

Apr 4, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #3,428 of 9,316
Some have suggested I up my DAC/amp game, but I'm happy with the dac/amp combo and stack that I'm using. I'm having lotsa fun messing around with the cans I have. I like the cable that came with my HD700, but it was too long and 'kinky' for my liking. Got a hobbyist to do up a pair of cables for me, one for my K812, the other for my HD700. I went with 6.3mm Amphenol plug, the mono plugs/connectors for the HD700 had to be ordered in from China, I like it though, pretty slick metal plus that look better than the stock plastic ones.

Apr 4, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #3,431 of 9,316
  Anyone know what to use to clean the grills? I bought used and theres a few scuffs and fingerprints id like to wipe off. Any suggestions?

I don't know about the scuff. But for fingerprints I would use a wet cloth with some glass cleaner for the first wipe and with only water for the second wipe.

Apr 4, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #3,432 of 9,316

Not at all.  

(regarding the ring)

You mean when you hit a tube amp, you don't hear rings? I thought all tubes rang if you tapped or hit them.

Apr 4, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #3,433 of 9,316
  You mean when you hit a tube amp, you don't hear rings? I thought all tubes rang if you tapped or hit them.

No, some tubes are more microphonic than others. I have a tube that will make noise if there is any vibration at all, especially if you tap it. In the same amp, I can swap the tube out and it is dead quite, there is no noise on start up or if I were to tap it (which I don't do). If you are hearing microphonic noise on start up, just let your amp warm up for a minute or two before you start listening. 

Apr 4, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #3,434 of 9,316
I can flick my GZ34 or 6H30 tubes on the glass and not hear anything.  I can smack my hand anywhere on the Sonett and not hear anything.  Headphones in and out.  Change volume.  Nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back