Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jan 12, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #2,596 of 9,316

l think the STX is a good suggestion (also, the fact that you can upgrade to an external device in the future, should you want to). If memory serves, STX has 'dolby HP', which would be a great pairing with the 700s.

And yes, tubes color the sound. You would use them with the HD-700 in order to smooth the highs (if they bother you or if you simply prefer that 'colored' sound). l'm fine with my amp and the way highs sound out of it (and 700s).  

Yes it does have Dolby Headphones.

And with tubes you can change the sound to your desire which might be to your liking, it's not just about "smoothing" the treble.
Also check out the specs on the tube amps some have pretty good specs without any visible/hearable distortion.

Jan 12, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #2,597 of 9,316
As we all know, the HD700 can have pretty bad treble spikes.

This is now completely cured into a musical, deeply lush signature with the Woo Audio WA7 setup. This headphone is perfect for tube amps and not so much for hybrids or solid states IMO. Even the Lyr 2 had some treble harshness at times. With the WA7, there's simply no more treble spikes unless you are listening to poorly recorded music, yet the treble is not recessed or muted.

HD 700 + WA7 combo is simply perfection and truly musical to my ears so far. It pushes the spectrum to the edge without ever going overboard, and the presentation is truly musical. Now I finally understand when people describe something as "magical", contrast to the Schiit combo (Bifrost+Lyr2), which sounded powerful and clinical.

dL

Jan 12, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #2,598 of 9,316
  As we all know, the HD700 can have pretty bad treble spikes.

This is now completely cured into a musical, deeply lush signature with the Woo Audio WA7 setup. This headphone is perfect for tube amps and not so much for hybrids or solid states IMO. Even the Lyr 2 had some treble harshness at times. With the WA7, there's simply no more treble spikes unless you are listening to poorly recorded music, yet the treble is not recessed or muted.

HD 700 + WA7 combo is simply perfection and truly musical to my ears so far. It pushes the spectrum to the edge without ever going overboard, and the presentation is truly musical. Now I finally understand when people describe something as "magical", contrast to the Schiit combo (Bifrost+Lyr2), which sounded powerful and clinical.

dL

Yes, a good valve amp is great. Don't quote me, but I don't think the WA7 is actually a pure valve amp. I think there are some mosfets in the output stage...

I disagree with the solid state comment. I use mine with a HDVA600, and I can tell you it's smooth as butter:wink: Whereas the Burson was harsh. (And I'm a valve man:wink:)

Jan 12, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #2,599 of 9,316
Yes, a good valve amp is great. Don't quote me, but I don't think the WA7 is actually a pure valve amp. I think there are some mosfets in the output stage...

I disagree with the solid state comment. I use mine with a HDVA600, and I can tell you it's smooth as butter:wink: Whereas the Burson was harsh. (And I'm a valve man:wink:)

Interesting! How do you find the HDVA600 with the 700's?

dL

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #2,600 of 9,316

Yes it does have Dolby Headphones.

And with tubes you can change the sound to your desire which might be to your liking, it's not just about "smoothing" the treble.
Also check out the specs on the tube amps some have pretty good specs without any visible/hearable distortion.

Sure. l guess l was too brief when l said "tubes color the sound".

However,  l never 'plainly' said: "it's just about smoothing the treble". l said "You would use them with the HD-700 in order to smooth the highs".

My post did not pretend, by any means, to give a deep exposition on tube amps, which is, by far, away from my knowledge. l only tried to provide a useful answer to someone who happens to be a bit lost.  

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #2,601 of 9,316
  Sure. l guess l was too brief when l said "tubes color the sound".

However,  l never 'plainly' said: "it's just about smoothing the treble". l said "You would use them with the HD-700 in order to smooth the highs".

My post did not pretend, by any means, to give a deep exposition on tube amps, which is, by far, away from my knowledge. l only tried to provide a useful answer to someone who happens to be a bit lost.  

I was just quoting you and adding to what you said :p

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #2,603 of 9,316
I haven't figured it out and have done minor cosmetic damage trying to.  Little paint chips where I tried to pry the little plastic piece out to hopefully release the pad.  My headband pad is beat and actually deteriorating leaving small black lint like fuzzies.  I stopped trying when I noticed I couldn't find a new headband pad anywhere to buy.

Jan 12, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #2,604 of 9,316
  I haven't figured it out and have done minor cosmetic damage trying to.  Little paint chips where I tried to pry the little plastic piece out to hopefully release the pad.  My headband pad is beat and actually deteriorating leaving small black lint like fuzzies.  I stopped trying when I noticed I couldn't find a new headband pad anywhere to buy.

Ohh my 700's earpads have those black fuzzies coming off. At first I was so mad because my 700s are just 2 months old but after awhile I didnt care anymore, the material underneath is feels better on my cheeks haha.

Jan 12, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #2,606 of 9,316
Is it possible to hear the difference between the cirrus logic DAC and the Burr Brown Dac with the HD700s??? I switched from my asus xonar u7 to an onkyo amp that i hav and i could swear i hear a difference. am i hearing things???????

Jan 12, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #2,607 of 9,316
  Is it possible to hear the difference between the cirrus logic DAC and the Burr Brown Dac with the HD700s??? I switched from my asus xonar u7 to an onkyo amp that i hav and i could swear i hear a difference. am i hearing things???????

That my friend is the power of love.. I mean the difference between amps and dacs, and whoever told you DACs don't make a difference should look in the mirror and think for a moment about what they said.

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #2,608 of 9,316
It looks like I will have the hd700 and a standard geek pulse in less than a week. I hope it sounds okay together. I am also hoping that the bass isn't a lot less than an hd650, that being the highest tiered senn I have heard. Time to search the thread for reassurance. Are the mentioned treble spikes more harsh than say, a th600 or akg q701?

Jan 13, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #2,609 of 9,316

That my friend is the power of love.. I mean the difference between amps and dacs, and whoever told you DACs don't make a difference should look in the mirror and think for a moment about what they said.

I am stuck between the oppo HA-1 or the woo audio w7. I have a cirrus dac and also two amps with burr brown dacs. should i go tube crazy cuz i have enough dacs. or max out dacs and then enter tubeland???? I know with the ess sabre 32 dac i will be hearing new things. i have never heard a tube type before.

Jan 13, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #2,610 of 9,316
Don't burn me for asking this. I know EQ'ing to some people is as bad as gluing LEGO together.

HD700 arrived, and the treble at 6khz is literally painful. Not in every song, but many. My EQ only has 10 bands, so currently pushing down 4k and 8k to compensate. Are there any 32-band equalizers for Windows 7? Using a Supreme FX Impact 2 sound card (very heavily modified Realtek I think). Schiit Fulla arrives Wednesday.  The Valhalla 2 will likely kill the treble heat, but I won't be getting that for a few more weeks.

EDIT: 2011 remastered Pink Floyd. Oh my.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back