Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Dec 30, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #2,536 of 9,320
Everytime I feel like I should sell the HD700, I put them on and love the sound.  I FEEL like the treble spike has reduced some... it may be my brain playing tricks but I loved my hour or so with them last night.  I'm really enjoying my 1/2 combo with the two Senns.

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #2,537 of 9,320
  Everytime I feel like I should sell the HD700, I put them on and love the sound.  I FEEL like the treble spike has reduced some... it may be my brain playing tricks but I loved my hour or so with them last night.  I'm really enjoying my 1/2 combo with the two Senns.

I discovered my ears were actually (relatively) rapidly getting used to the treble differences between headphones. 

I had very bad physical ear fatigue when I tried the T1, then it got a lot better after 2 days. It was still an issue, but I had not tubes to do justice to this headphone... I may try it again just for the sake of curiosity when my Crack+Speedball is built.

Same thing with the HD-800, but it wasn't an issue anymore after 2 or 3 days.

Same thing with the HE-560, and it has gone a lot better too.

I came from the HD-650 each time, so there is that, being used to such a non-fatiguing sound.

Dec 31, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #2,538 of 9,320
^ psychoacoustics are a real thing.
Everyone's taste and headphone-upgrade path is different, I feel a little unique from other people that have recently come to the HD700 in that I haven't heard any other Senns besides the PX100 and HD202, and my head-fi journey has mostly been neutral or erring on the side of bright, starting with the rather very flat Etymotic ER•6i. As befitting a hearing aid company that transitioned to making the first IEMs, the ER•6i didn't have the most treble extension but the FreqResponse is markedly close to neutral (broad and modestly elevated bass) compared to most consumer headphones. After that, for years I used pretty balanced or bright-tilted headphones, the DT880 was a little too bright-tilted for me but coming to the HD700, the latter is not too bright. I firmly believe that if I'd spent a fair amount of time adjusting to the HD650 an appreciating the merits of that, I would have a tough time re-adjusting to the HD700, it would seem weird.

Now, I have an even more unique situation where shortly before getting the HD700 I picked up a used pair of Stax SR-X, which I demoed once or twice to Wow results two or three times in my basement, but I was sourcing from my iPod's Line-Out dock and it's cold down there so I never spent much time spoiling myself with it. I have been using my HD700 almost exclusively since getting it with my tube amp (some nice rocket-logo tubes plugged in), and I think I've adjusted to it. Once you use the HD700, the lasting impression that doesn't fade away is the wearing comfort! Anyway, I finally got a Sound Blaster X7, and now have a convenient way to A/B my dynamic and electrostatic headphones. The Stax really really deserve their sound quality praise, I haven't seen any frequency charts but the curve would be gentle with loads of treble extension, for me it's got more technical and WOW! chops than the HD700 and may spoil me in the future, but the HD700 is without fuss easily the more comfortable to wear. Switching back to the HD700 was interesting because in contrast it was immediately clear that the treble was actually overall not as forward and the bass a tad bit warmer, with a spot in the treble near cymbals where suddenly the treble is forward... but after a few hours, even switching between the two headphones the differences seemed to become less prominent. Now, the Stax is still a bit more reference, but I'm still happy to share head-time with the HD700 for it's comfort, especially while gaming.

Dec 31, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #2,539 of 9,320
I bought one last week, but already returned it. While I really liked some characteristics (soundstage, bass, comfort,...) I just couldn't live with the awful spikes in the highs. Combined with the subdued high mids it sounds very unnatural. 
The HD800 is much superior IMHO. It's brighter, but in a much more natural, more neutral way. The transition from mids to highs is smoother. 

Dec 31, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #2,540 of 9,320

I discovered my ears were actually (relatively) rapidly getting used to the treble differences between headphones. 

I had very bad physical ear fatigue when I tried the T1, then it got a lot better after 2 days. It was still an issue, but I had not tubes to do justice to this headphone... I may try it again just for the sake of curiosity when my Crack+Speedball is built.

Same thing with the HD-800, but it wasn't an issue anymore after 2 or 3 days.

Same thing with the HE-560, and it has gone a lot better too.

I came from the HD-650 each time, so there is that, being used to such a non-fatiguing sound.

Same thing with me.

Pretty crazy how quickly our ear/brain can adapt (there is a limit, though) to the differences.

Dec 31, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #2,541 of 9,320
I bought one last week, but already returned it. While I really liked some characteristics (soundstage, bass, comfort,...) I just couldn't live with the awful spikes in the highs. Combined with the subdued high mids it sounds very unnatural. 
The HD800 is much superior IMHO. It's brighter, but in a much more natural, more neutral way. The transition from mids to highs is smoother. 

I mean, if you can afford a headphone costing 2x as much, then yeah it ought to be better. *shrug*

Higher-end gear spoils you against anything less and especially throws in sharp relief when you go right from the HD800 to the HD700. I honestly don't know what you were expecting, though most of the people who were disappointed with the HD700 said almost the same thing and also own HD800's to compare against. If someone had HD600 and then buy a pair of HD558, I bet they'd also talk about how the HD600 is superior.

Dec 31, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #2,542 of 9,320
I mean, if you can afford a headphone costing 2x as much, then yeah it ought to be better. *shrug*

Higher-end gear spoils you against anything less and especially throws in sharp relief when you go right from the HD800 to the HD700. I honestly don't know what you were expecting, though most of the people who were disappointed with the HD700 said almost the same thing and also own HD800's to compare against. If someone had HD600 and then buy a pair of HD558, I bet they'd also talk about how the HD600 is superior.

+1

U pay wht you got

Dec 31, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #2,543 of 9,320

In all honesty I had both but still have the HD600 since my HD558 broke. So once those broke I bought the HD600. A month goes by and I bought the HD558 again. More bass, wider soundstage, similar vocals but the HD558 being more of a hollow sound. The biggest difference was the top end. So much more smoother and detailed. I returned the HD558 because I always wanted the HD600 even before I had my first pair of HD558's 3 years ago. The midrange isn't too different. I plan on selling the HD600's since I have the X2's. X2's are giving me problems right now and may return them. As a matter of fact I'm planning on buying the HD558's again to keep for all eternity. 558's are the most comfy of the 3.

Dec 31, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #2,544 of 9,320
  In all honesty I had both but still have the HD600 since my HD558 broke. So once those broke I bought the HD600. A month goes by and I bought the HD558 again. More bass, wider soundstage, similar vocals but the HD558 being more of a hollow sound. The biggest difference was the top end. So much more smoother and detailed. I returned the HD558 because I always wanted the HD600 even before I had my first pair of HD558's 3 years ago. The midrange isn't too different. I plan on selling the HD600's since I have the X2's. X2's are giving me problems right now and may return them. As a matter of fact I'm planning on buying the HD558's again to keep for all eternity. 558's are the most comfy of the 3.

Yeah, the HD 5xx headphone series are pretty spectacular for the money.

Their only real downside (for high SPL listeners, like me) is that their drivers can start to audibly distort at high SPL's with music that has a lot of powerful low bass (the same goes for the AKG 6xx/7xx series as well).

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #2,545 of 9,320
Ha..

I thought I'd rejoin this thread.

Of course, a HD800 will be in the future, but bugger me. I'll keep these cans for sure. 

Just listening to the Chemical Brothers - Further, "Swoon" and when that bass kicks in about 2:30, a little bit of wee comes out:) this can moves me emotively, and that for me is the main thing. powered by the HDVA600, with Matrix Mini I Pro, it kicks arse.. as I type this I'm getting excited as "Escape Velocity" Is.. about… to …. kick ………………..IN!!!!!!!!

I'm struggling to justify any future purchases. 

I find these cans very natural. But my ears are different from everyone else's. Next, back to Miles Davis.

It's funny how people keep talking about treble spikes.. I can't hear any. And neither with a HD800 for that matter. Want harsh treble? Buy any overrated Grado.

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #2,546 of 9,320
Bought one last week and thinking of buying a new amp in order to have a punchier bass and maybe to smoothen the harsh tremble. My current amp is the Lehmann Audio Rhinelander and although a great amp, I Think it is not a good match for my hd700, much better match with the HD600. What about the Fiio E9 that I have heard it has a warm sound?

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #2,548 of 9,320
Bought one last week and thinking of buying a new amp in order to have a punchier bass and maybe to smoothen the harsh tremble. My current amp is the Lehmann Audio Rhinelander and although a great amp, I Think it is not a good match for my hd700, much better match with the HD600. What about the Fiio E9 that I have heard it has a warm sound?

get a audio-gd 15, 250 USD, warm and emotional sounding plus wide soundstage and punchy bass. oh and change it to OS 4 filter 1 as this is the best for hd700. You can also consider anax mod, it is not like day and night difference but the highs are smoothened a bit if you really intensively listen to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back