Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Sep 12, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #2,043 of 9,320

Never tried them on the Valhalla 2, but I didn't like the Valhalla for them. I remember that I preferred the Lyr over Valhalla and Asgard 2 for the HD700.  I also really liked BH Crack for them.

+1 for the BH Crack.

Crack is an amazing amp for its price and you can upgrade it later if you wish. I think you can't upgrade valhalla to a different level for 125$ like you can do with BH crack. And you can always change tubes for your liking to get even better sound out of it. It is really simple DIY amp i think and well worth the money :) To my ears Crack + HD700 is very good combination. 

Sep 13, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #2,045 of 9,320
I plan to get these headphones soon. Do they work well with portable devices and without amps? Was wondering because it may be a while before I can purchase a good amp, and don't want to regret my purchase until I do

Sep 13, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #2,046 of 9,320
I plan to get these headphones soon. Do they work well with portable devices and without amps? Was wondering because it may be a while before I can purchase a good amp, and don't want to regret my purchase until I do

It really depends on the portable device. Their efficiency makes them possible to drive if the portable device can manage their 150 ohm load. It also depends on your definition of well :wink:. As they scale very well with amp quality I would not fret about it and simply enjoy the journey.

Sep 13, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #2,047 of 9,320
I norm
It really depends on the portable device. Their efficiency makes them possible to drive if the portable device can manage their 150 ohm load. It also depends on your definition of well :wink:. As they scale very well with amp quality I would not fret about it and simply enjoy the journey.

I plan to use these mainly with my laptop connected to a fiio e18 until I can afford something more reasonable.

The fiio e18 can take headphones up to 150 ohms. So I'm hoping they can drive the hd 700 so they sound reasonable

Sep 13, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #2,049 of 9,320
I norm

I plan to use these mainly with my laptop connected to a fiio e18 until I can afford something more reasonable.

The fiio e18 can take headphones up to 150 ohms. So I'm hoping they can drive the hd 700 so they sound reasonable

They will work fine with the e18 of course not at their full potential but I believe you will be pleased. I have a similar capability iBasso portable setup and it makes a fine portable rig but pales in comparison to using my Lyr 2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sep 15, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #2,050 of 9,320
After spending a few years with the HD598 I finally decided to upgrade to the HD700 and just ordered :)

Will be using my AMB γ2 DAC and AMB M³ amp Also still have an O2 PCB lying around somewhere, perhaps the time has come to order the parts and solder them together for a bedroom amp haha :)

Sep 16, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #2,051 of 9,320
  After spending a few years with the HD598 I finally decided to upgrade to the HD700 and just ordered :)

Will be using my AMB γ2 DAC and AMB M³ amp Also still have an O2 PCB lying around somewhere, perhaps the time has come to order the parts and solder them together for a bedroom amp haha :)

WOW!! The HD700 sound incredible... BIG improvement over the HD598. So much more detail yet these headphones are still musical, lively sounding rather than being too analytical. Treble can be a smidge harsh sometimes on some recordings, but it's an easy EQ adjustment (Not being obsessed with transparency is liberating :) ). 

Running my amp open case now with mosfets turned up to 120mA for the occasion :)

Sep 16, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #2,052 of 9,320
So, I'm going crazy over here guys. I've decided that I want a DAC and an AMP (Preferably but not limited to these being in the same device) I've looked at the O2 Odac and the Schiit Stack thus far. 
Suggestions? Trying to keep it below $300 or around that area at least. Since I don't have a good DAC I don't think I'd be pleased with buying just an amp.
Thanks.

Sep 16, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #2,053 of 9,320
So, I'm going crazy over here guys. I've decided that I want a DAC and an AMP (Preferably but not limited to these being in the same device) I've looked at the O2 Odac and the Schiit Stack thus far. 
Suggestions? Trying to keep it below $300 or around that area at least. Since I don't have a good DAC I don't think I'd be pleased with buying just an amp.
Thanks.
maybe get the geek out people have been recommending?

Sep 16, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #2,054 of 9,320
maybe get the geek out people have been recommending?

I have a few gripes when looking at their website. They are using and promoting Beats headphones in their video, and they keep saying "Bass". Not sure what to think, will do more research on it, thanks for the suggestion. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back