Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Aug 7, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #1,906 of 9,320
  I could never make this decision. To this day, I’m enamored with both the HD700 and HD800. (Actually, I’m still quite fond of the HD650 and HD580 too).
When I first auditioned the HD800, however, I was dubious; I just didn’t know how to mentally process that amazingly immersive soundstage, but after about a year (and some improved gear), I finally had that special moment with the HD800 (call that moment an epiphany, if you will); afterwards, all the imagining and sound-staging idiosyncrasies morphed into something breathtakingly holographic.

Today, I really can’t imagine being without the HD800. There are times, however, when the HD800 is just too much of a good thing, and I crave a more traditional headphone experience, and that's when I reach for the HD700; it takes a moment to readjust to its smaller soundstage, its more terrestrial imaging, but when I adjust, the HD700 always thrills me. Its immediacy, its taut and yet impactful bass, its PRAT… Ugh, what can I say: I just love my Sennheiser headphones.

Oh, btw, if you mosey on over to the HD800 thread anytime soon, be warned; there’s some drama over there right now. 

Just for info, you didn't find your HD-700 too cold/analytic and/or bright/harsh compared to the HD-650?

Brightness and harshness/sibilance is always what I'm afraid of coming from the 650 
biggrin.gif
 (like the Beyerdymanic T90, ouch!)

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #1,907 of 9,320

Just for info, you didn't find your HD-700 too cold/analytic and/or bright/harsh compared to the HD-650?

Brightness and harshness/sibilance is always what I'm afraid of coming from the 650 
biggrin.gif

Can’t speak for Madmollusk, but the HD700 IMHO really do fill the gap between the 600 series and the 800’s, and yes if one was listening to the HD 6xxs and switched over to HD800s not the Hd700s (although they are clearer and a lot less warm than the 6xxs but definitely warmer than the 800s), I’d say your above observation might hold true for some, but personally I've yet to experience any "Brightness and harshness/sibilance" with the HD700s or so far with the HD800s.... just beautiful extended highs and detail.
smile.gif

As I stated elsewhere
  In a nutshell IMHO the HD700 is a long overdue replacement for the HD600 series with newer ergonomics and more efficient drivers. The HD600s are still a highly regarded and sought after headphone but the HD700 bring better extension at both ends of the spectrum and a more natural staging (at least for me). Bass is better defined, tighter and deeper; the so-called Sennheiser veil (which some experience) has been eradicated for a clearer, crisper and livelier sound, although many still prefer the warmer and more laidback presentation of the 600s.

Aug 7, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #1,908 of 9,320
Any recommendations for a $100ish amp for the HD 700 from a computer? I'll be mainly listening to electronic music. I saw a lot of WA3 recommendations but that is out of my budget for an amp.

Aug 7, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #1,910 of 9,320
I am listening to a borrowed geek out 1000 dac/amp right now with the hd700 that is blowing my mind. Electronic music is killer on it. It has too much power for the hd700s as I am only able to push 13 of 100 in volume so the lower priced, lowered powered geek out 450 would still be more than enough.
http://www.amazon.com/Geek-Out-450-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00JD0CQ6E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407436017&sr=8-2&keywords=Geek+out

At $199, it may still be out of your budget, but occasionally I see them used at $150. It boasts a class a amp that is very sweet and tube like plus has a custom dac that beats everything else I have. The dac amp pairing is where the magic is at. Here is my review:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/lhlabs-geek-out/reviews/11396

Aug 7, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #1,912 of 9,320
  Wow. I was thinking about the 1000 for a pair of 700s...I think I might go for the 720 instead since there have been issues with the 450.

I hadn't actually been following the Geek Out forum thinking it was all hype so I hadn't heard about the 450 having issues. What issues are you referring to? If it is the volume spikes that I am mentioning in the review, it is plaguing them all requiring special care in setup. But it seems to be worth it. Or is it something else? I am getting addicted to this sound and may have to get one in addition to the Crack tube amp I am also getting so inquiring minds need to know.

Aug 7, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #1,913 of 9,320
I've read multiple times that the GO 450 has noise issues with IEMs.

Quote:
  I hadn't actually been following the Geek Out forum thinking it was all hype so I hadn't heard about the 450 having issues. What issues are you referring to? If it is the volume spikes that I am mentioning in the review, it is plaguing them all requiring special care in setup. But it seems to be worth it. Or is it something else? I am getting addicted to this sound and may have to get one in addition to the Crack tube amp I am also getting so inquiring minds need to know.

Aug 7, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #1,914 of 9,320
  Any recommendations for a $100ish amp for the HD 700 from a computer? I'll be mainly listening to electronic music. I saw a lot of WA3 recommendations but that is out of my budget for an amp.

Schiit Vali!!!!! That little amp gives you amazing sound for the meager price of $119.00. I really don't think you could do better with your budget. Check out the "New Vali Schiit Amp" thread for all the glorious details.  

Aug 7, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #1,915 of 9,320

biggrin.gif

I agree with Rob's post on this subject 100% For context: I've owned several Beyerdyanmic headphones in the past--the DT 770 and the DT 990, just to name a few. Now those were some almost painfully bright headphones. The HD700, by comparison, sound lively but not piercingly bright (not to my hearing at least). By inference, I would say that the HD700 should sound considerably less energetic than T90 too. But note: one man's "lively" is another man's "bright." So take all this with a grain of salt. 

Aug 7, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #1,916 of 9,320
Well guys looks like I’m officially stuck here as I returned the HD800s this afternoon.
Anyway, any Canadians who wish to leave the flock and are looking for a new pair of HD800s can pick them up for $1299 Can. at Bay Bloor Radio till the end of the month, which works out with a direct currency conversion of $1189 US, an excellent price considering Sennheiser are always more expensive here than across the border.
http://baybloorradio.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=458
Who knows I may change my mind but I’d keep the HD700s.  
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #1,917 of 9,320
Thanks for your opinion Rob80b and Madmollusk!

You convinced me to give it a try :) I'll already be testing an HD-600 to compare it against the HD-650 this morning, will see how it goes.

Piercingly and painfully bright is perfectly how I would describe the T90 
biggrin.gif
 But I LOVED how clear it was and how much details I was getting coming from the HD-650. I only wish it had a slightly warmer sound, less sibilance/harshness, and indeed a little less (fatiguing) energy, so I may just like the HD-700...

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #1,918 of 9,320
It's been 2 months and I think it's safe to say, these are my endgame full-size headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back