Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Mar 19, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #1,516 of 9,326
Have the prices of the HD 700s increased? I was going through this thread and saw people mention getting it for <$700 brand new from Amazon. Everywhere I look shows it at $850 now. I've noticed the same thing with the Beyerdynamic T90; in the appreciation thread it was posted at much lower prices.

$850 seems quite high...these are often compared to the T90 and HE500 and those are $650 and $599 respectively without any special sales at the moment.

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #1,518 of 9,326
$649 was a holiday promo price. TTVJ kept it longer than others. When I was about the pull the trigger, TTVJ returned it back to the the $849 rate.

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #1,520 of 9,326
Try Razordog , they have them for $749 and it looks like the $100 rebate RAZORDOG100 might apply as Sennheiser is not listed in the exemption list, making them $649.
http://www.razordogaudio.com/

Use RAZORDOG20 for 20% off all Sennheiser. They're selling out remaining stock of Sennheisers as they will not be supplying it anymore. $600 for HD700, $1200 for HD800.

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #1,523 of 9,326
  Literally. I have 2 pair left. 

Thanks for the update Brian.
And if you’ve been following the thread you’ve seen I finally got my HD700s back from Sennheiser, nearly 2 months, should have paid the extra shipping and sent them off to you for exchange, would have been a lot faster.
It was almost enough time to change my mind and get the HD800s from you, almost.
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #1,525 of 9,326
For an even tastier deal, $530 for an open box off of Amazon, IQ Entertainment. Got mine a couple weeks ago for $550. I received a brand new pair.

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #1,527 of 9,326
I just picked up an open box pair on Amazon for $529. I look forward to hearing these.

I also picked up one of these cables: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD700-HD-700-Headphone-/261317123574?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&var=&hash=item3cd7b6ddf6

Thanks for the cable suggestion which I found in this thread.

Mar 22, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #1,528 of 9,326
Yep, got mine from RazorDog a few months ago. literally the last place I found the 700s for $650 after Sennheiser raised the price up to $850. The headphones are most def worth $600-$650.

Mar 22, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #1,529 of 9,326
I posted the following in the thread for my review of the iCAN amp which is a pretty good summary of my initial impressions of the HD700s, and how they match up with the iCAN:

I am happy to report another nice headphone match for the iCAN. I just bought an open box, new pair of HD700s on Amazon for $530. They sound great with the iCAN, and once again the 3D and XBass really bring out the best in these headphones. I can also really enjoy the high setting of the XBass on these headphones when I am in the mood, as the bass is very tight and controlled, so the higher level of added boost does not muddy things up. And even though the HD700s are already known for their soundstage, detail and imaging, all of these qualities take on a higher level of realism with the 3D effect engaged. And as I have mentioned over and over again, it is so cool how I can adjust the sound with the flick of a switch if a song comes on that is too bright or has too much reverb. It truly is like having several different amps all hooked up and ready to go depending on my mood or the recording. For instance, often at night I prefer a warmer and softer edged sound, so I turn off the 3D or even go down to the traditional crossfeed effect which especially softens the edges and gives my brain a rest from the super detailed 3D effect.

One thing I will add though is I was pretty surprised by how well the $250 Sony MA900s keep up with the Sennheiser HD700s that currently list for over 3 times as much ($849). In combination with the iCAN, the Sony's sound is amazingly close to the HD700's sound. They are both such spacious and open headphones with unusually realistic soundstages and excellent instrument separation. And as I have been saying in this thread, the MA900s match up very well with the ICAN. If I had paid full price for the Sennheiser's I would probably send them back and just keep using the MA900s. But the Sennheiser's do bring a higher level of transparency and also a tighter, cleaner bass, so I will probably keep them....or maybe at least until I  hear the Hifiman HE560s when they finally come out.

Mar 23, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #1,530 of 9,326
  Hi Guys

Finally got my HD700s back from Sennheiser, finally..... as they were sent in 1/21/14.
cool.gif

Interestingly they appear much brighter tonally from what I remember as Sennheiser needed to order new matched drivers as the first had about 3dB mismatch in volume.
Now it might be a matter of break-in, as I seem to recall I did not immediately warm up to my HD700 originally until after a few days of continual use .............

Actual break-in is still somewhat of contentious issue but having now compared two sets of new drivers with my other phones on hand as reference points I believe I can safely surmise that in indeed the HD700 may need a few days or 20-30 hours minimum to loose a slight exaggeration with regards to sibilance and brightness.
Twice I had my doubts when first receiving the 700s, the HD580/600s are at first smoother and easier to listen to, and the AKG K701s had a crisper, cleaner top end, but with on going comparisons with the HD580/600s this past week there was a huge improvement, the pronounced sibilance out of the box has all but vanished.
I see it as the somewhat like the loosening of a drum skin over time, fresh out of the box the driver membrane is just maybe a bit too highly tuned but given a bit of time the HD700s showed that they are indeed a fairly large upgrade overall to my older Senns.

This was most evident when listening to Kraftwerk’s live CD Minimum-Maximum, a concert which I attended first hand, the HD600s sounded fine if one hadn’t experienced the live performance….
but in direct comparison with HD700s it was painfully obvious that the 600’s homogenized the overall clarity and excitement as if listening in an over damped room, extremely easy to listen to but in the end really sounded anything but the live concert hall performance.
The HD700s brought back the definition and tightness of the bass, instrument separation, clearer imaging and dynamics and somewhat wider and deeper sound stage, the HD580/600s do place a signature on the overall sound, what some may refer to as the veil, while as I mentioned back in January the HD700s are much more chameleon in nature, individual recordings sounding much more distinct in nature so that there is less of a carry over of any specific sonic imprint from the HD700s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back