Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Feb 16, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #1,366 of 9,326
I owned both HD700 and T90 and while at first I was impressed by the better detailing of the T90, I soon found it was just through the unnatural tuning of the treble that gives a sense of more details. That said, I did find the T90, when EQed properly to be better than the HD700 in refinement. The HD700 won in soundstage and tonality though.

Feb 16, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #1,367 of 9,326
Trust me, that's a matter of time man. "Welcome to head Fi, sorry about your wallet!"
frown.gif

Ditto!
rolleyes.gif

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #1,368 of 9,326

The T90 is something like the T70 but with a bigger soundstage due to its open back. It has also a more 3D like as compared to the Dt990. The T90 is not a better version of the DT990. The Dt990 has lots of harsh trembles and it has a lot more bass than the T90. The T90 has as little bass as the T70, it is a headphone for audiophiles who loves a neutral and clear sound.  It has very bright and detail highs, a wonderful midrange and tight bass. The T90 shines at the treble section where its treble let the listener to locate each and every instruments. It has much more instrumental separation than the dt range. As compared with the hd650 or hd700, the T90 will be the clear winner for audiophile who love neutral sounding headphone. I would say it is in a different league as compare to the dt990 as the soundstage is much better than before.

Feb 17, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #1,370 of 9,326

The T90 is something like the T70 but with a bigger soundstage due to its open back. It has also a more 3D like as compared to the Dt990. The T90 is not a better version of the DT990. The Dt990 has lots of harsh trembles and it has a lot more bass than the T90. The T90 has as little bass as the T70, it is a headphone for audiophiles who loves a neutral and clear sound.  It has very bright and detail highs, a wonderful midrange and tight bass. The T90 shines at the treble section where its treble let the listener to locate each and every instruments. It has much more instrumental separation than the dt range. As compared with the hd650 or hd700, the T90 will be the clear winner for audiophile who love neutral sounding headphone. I would say it is in a different league as compare to the dt990 as the soundstage is much better than before.

The T90s aren't neutral sounding headphones. I would describe their frequency response as V-shaped (raised in the bass and treble).

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #1,371 of 9,326

trolling_trolling_troll_internet_likes_to_fight_fail_jerk_pu_demotivational_poster_1239308887_RE_The_Meme_Team-s640x512-97875.jpg

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #1,373 of 9,326
So I've come to a decision that I'll be buying the HD800s. Does anyone know where I can buy the limited edition blacks? 

I will keep the 700s because they don't have high resale value. I think I can quite easily use it as my secondary headphone with my
Smyth Realiser (the realiser with an amp allows two people to use headphones). 

The 700s are great headphones, and to me - worth even what they originally cost. I'm not willing to sell them at a discount because they really are worth that much. 

- Extremely comfortable. 
- Exciting sound, euphonic. 
- Great soundstage/ airiness, second only to the 800s. 
- Easier to drive (but not that easy to drive well). 

They are also far less picky on amp pairings. 

The 800s on my amp/ dac combo are:  

- Euphonic, but without artificial distortions.  
- Surpass the 700s in airiness/ soundstage. 
- Very hard to drive. I've heard it SO many times, and have only now found a combo for it. 
- Not as comfortable to me, too big. 
- Incredibly transparent.  

The HD800 (open, transparent), W3000ANV (full bodied bass, euphonic mids) combo might be the only set of headphones I will ever need. I fail to see the point with the other headphones except to:

- Look pretty as Limited Editions.
- To be used as decent phones for Portables or Home Use. (My office is where I bring my Headfi Pimp) 

Sorry about my Wallet - again! 

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #1,375 of 9,326
Jon, I am not 100% sure but I think the black ones are from Colorware arent they? I dont think Senn sells them directly.

Hmm that seems to be the general consensus, I've been asking around. I found the "limited edition" information from David Mehlers post on 52 top flagship headphones.

The 800s can be had at a bargain these days, because there are so many of them. I've seen some traded for 900 USD, amazing price for one of the best headphones in the world (just never worked for me before this).

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #1,376 of 9,326
Hmm that seems to be the general consensus, I've been asking around. I found the "limited edition" information from David Mehlers post on 52 top flagship headphones.

The 800s can be had at a bargain these days, because there are so many of them. I've seen some traded for 900 USD, amazing price for one of the best headphones in the world (just never worked for me before this).

Try contacting Colorware directly and see.  If you can get one for 900 and then get it colorized, that would be a pretty good deal!  I myself, am going for the 700 as my next full sized headphone.  Its intriguing because its so polarizing, some think its horrible, others think its very good.  At 999$ I wouldnt think about them but at the discounted price I can get them at, I figure, there is no harm in trying.

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #1,377 of 9,326
Feb 17, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #1,378 of 9,326
BBR page says Out of Stock.  Got a pair go Grado GS1i from them just over a week ago and don't remember seeing the HD700.  Anyway, I bought my pair of HD700 from them when they just came out and paid less than $1K.  Good price on the HD800 though.

Quote:

Feb 17, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #1,379 of 9,326
I believe it's Sennheiser Canada that have been out of stock for quite a while as I was looking to get a pair before Xmas and dropped by BBR and they were not available then, the HD800 price is tempting though.
rolleyes.gif

But I have to remind myself that I chose the HD700s over the 800s for specific reasons.
wink.gif

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #1,380 of 9,326
It's an interesting price, for sure. Has it gotten much better than that in the past?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back