Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Feb 7, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #1,321 of 9,329

Great find. This is about the same price as the the connectors from a previous post. So even if it does to work, I could always take the connectors for another solution.

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #1,322 of 9,329

Yep, I have the same cable and very happy with it on all fronts...build quality, usability (flex, length, feel, lack of microphonics, etc....) and most importantly sound, which I do feel is a tad warmer/fuller than the stock cable.  Since I run with a Dragonfly, part of the improvement may simply be due to a better connection since now the 3.5mm jack (of the new cable) goes direct into the Dragonfly rather than a 6.3mm cable jack (of the stock cable) into a 3.5mm adapter into the Dragonfly (or phone or laptop).  I don't know if I just had a bad adapter that I used with stock cable, but everything seems a bit louder but still cleaner/warmer with the new cable.  Do headphone jack adapters cause insertion loss?

Psonoda, I had the same thoughts... if I didn't like the cable I could at least re-use the jacks that go into the HD-700 cups with a different cable and not really be out all that much money.  Fortunately, I am very happy with the cable as is.

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #1,323 of 9,329
I'm assuming you're all referring to this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob80b /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Or you could get this. It's the cable for the HD212 but they are similar in shape to the ends on the HD700 oem cable.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Replacement-SENNHEISER-HD212-Pro-Headphones/dp/B008JH9WRI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1391706015&sr=1-1&keywords=sennheiser+hd212+cable

I ordered the Lunashop connectors to make up a 4 pin XLR and was going to use  the Canare L-4E6S4S11 mic cable which I also used to make up a balanced for my HD580/600s, but while waiting I lucked out on an OEM HD700 cable for cheap on ebay which I may use instead.

Feb 7, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #1,324 of 9,329
Just ordered HD700 from Todd the vinyl guy today.  $649.00 shipped.  I am stoked.   I love my HD650 , Uber Bitfrost, Pan AM amp (mullard tube) combo.  Am really looking forward to the 700's with the same setup.  Came down to either He500's and HD700's and I couldn't pass up the price on the 700's.

Feb 7, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #1,325 of 9,329
Good price.  Great headphone.  Hope you like them as much as I do.  Definitely a different signature than the HD-650, but I think it works and at that price is as good if not better than other options out there.  The PanAm has been on my list for little while now...how do you like it?  From what I have read it seems to work fairly well with a wide variety of headphones.  Also, do you find the Uber Bifrost to be a significant jump up from the internal DAC in the PanAM?

Please share your thoughts on the pairing between PanAm and HD-700 when you get a chance, especially if you also get a chance to hear HD-700 on other amps as well.  I am currently on a Dragonfly and looking to make a move up the ladder here at some point this year.

Feb 7, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #1,326 of 9,329
  Good price.  Great headphone.  Hope you like them as much as I do.  Definitely a different signature than the HD-650, but I think it works and at that price is as good if not better than other options out there.  The PanAm has been on my list for little while now...how do you like it?  From what I have read it seems to work fairly well with a wide variety of headphones.  Also, do you find the Uber Bifrost to be a significant jump up from the internal DAC in the PanAM?

Please share your thoughts on the pairing between PanAm and HD-700 when you get a chance, especially if you also get a chance to hear HD-700 on other amps as well.  I am currently on a Dragonfly and looking to make a move up the ladder here at some point this year.

Love the ALO Pan Am.  I personally love the tube sound and the ALO with the mullard tubes is hard to beat imho.  I think the Dac on the Pan Am actually performs/sounds very good.  I just wanted to take it up a notch and I believe the Uber Bitfrost  does that.  I don't know if I can describe it right but to me a little more open and crisp.  I also had a audiengine d3.  Sounded decent but not my cup of tea.  

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #1,328 of 9,329
  Just ordered HD700 from Todd the vinyl guy today.  $649.00 shipped.  I am stoked.   I love my HD650 , Uber Bitfrost, Pan AM amp (mullard tube) combo.  Am really looking forward to the 700's with the same setup.  Came down to either He500's and HD700's and I couldn't pass up the price on the 700's.

I have both HD700 and HE500.

HE500s have been collecting dust for a while.

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #1,330 of 9,329
I had the HD700 and HE500 at the same time also.  The HD700 was superior in bass depth and articulation, better and richer treble and more sparky highs.  Next to it the HE500 soured boring even as good as they are.  The HE500 got very little head time as the HD700 was more fun, exciting with better air and detail in pretty much every case.

Quote:
Lol! Really? I was considering the HE500 as well... Do you think that HD700 is noticeable better?

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #1,331 of 9,329
Lol! Really? I was considering the HE500 as well... Do you think that HD700 is noticeable better?

I think they compliment each other very well. I've had my HE-500s for some time so that's why they don't see much use. I am definitely NOT going to sell them.

The HE-500s do everything very well...everything is VERY balanced while on the other hand the HD700s come off as a more 'fun' headphone. 

Both are very good but I would give the HD700s a slightly better edge especially with the Bifrost uber upgrade I just installed today.

Feb 8, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #1,335 of 9,329
I had the HD700 and HE500 at the same time also.  The HD700 was superior in bass depth and articulation, better and richer treble and more sparky highs.  Next to it the HE500 soured boring even as good as they are.  The HE500 got very little head time as the HD700 was more fun, exciting with better air and detail in pretty much every case.

Not to mention the HD 700 contains 100% more comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back