Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
May 27, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #3,962 of 9,320

I'm curious to see what you think about how your modded T50RPs compare to the HD700. I also have the same headphones.

Since I sold off my ALO The International I haven't had an amp that drives planars well, so I haven't listened to them in a while, sadly. I try to, but the Bottlehead Crack is TERRIBLE for planars. It doesn't have the balls current flow that planars need to function properly. I get tons of distortion because of it, hence my Gustard H10 and Asgard purchases. I can PM you about it after I get familiar with them again.

May 27, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #3,963 of 9,320
  Since I sold off my ALO The International I haven't had an amp that drives planars well, so I haven't listened to them in a while, sadly. I try to, but the Bottlehead Crack is TERRIBLE for planars. It doesn't have the balls current flow that planars need to function properly. I get tons of distortion because of it, hence my Gustard H10 and Asgard purchases. I can PM you about it after I get familiar with them again.

Sure, sounds good. I'd also be willing to share my impressions comparing the two.

May 27, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #3,964 of 9,320
  Hi. I've recently purchased the Sennheiser HD 700. I was going for 650; but it was out of stock and I needed to get it today since I was departing to my home country. Thinking 700 would be better than it's little brother, HD 600 or HD 650, I bought it and it was the most stupid thing I've ever done, since I'm a techno enthusiast and this thing has no bass at all. : ( I wasn't expecting a Bose or Beats bass, pumped up and misguiding. I was looking for the bass I got from my KRK Rokit 8's and I'm so, so disappointed. At least it was on sale and I got them for 570; but it still hurts like hell. Other than that, as a beginner 'audiophile' (I'm still 21), I had no idea headphone amps existed and I am left with low volume both on my smartphone and my laptop when I connect it with an adapter. I know, I know, it's getting worse as I write. Truth be told, the adapter wasn't even golden plated hahaha. So, I guess I found out that I absolutely need a headphone amp for this. I have a Scarlett 2i4 that I use in my home studio; but it's not with me right now so I can't test my HD 700's with it. Do audio interfaces come with headphone amps or does Scarlett 2i4 specifically? If so, will I not need to buy one? I was so happy today and now that problems started popping left and right, I'm pretty much depressed... Can someone who's experienced please guide this young padawan? I'd love to learn. Thank you.

IMO, you shouldn't go and buy an amp. Instead, buy another pair of HPs: yes, simple as that (it'll save you money). l always find the Fidelio X1 easy to recommend when someone likes bass (X1 has irremplazable ear-pads, as opposed to X2). A good amp will improve the 700s bass, but it won't give a lot more body to it (which is what l believe you find lacking).

l didn't hear you complain about the treble so l won't say anything in that regard.

Now, just to say:

as you said, you just started in this hobby. When l started, l was looking for bass, too. Not for techno music, but for gaming. l wanted to feel explosions, etc. l bought the Audio-Technica PRO700MK2 and l had plenty of bass. However, it did not take too long until l started to value other features of the sound (midrange, for example). ln less than 1 year, l went from looking for as much bass as possible to a neutral sound signature. Today, at this point of my life, l went back to enjoying a bit more coloured sound, 'warmer'. However, l absolutely value and enjoy the 700s bass. l find it really, really good: it's not much, but it's not little; it's fast, tight and textured. Therefore, you might take this 'disappointing experience' and turn it into a somehow positive, a learning one. You'll learn how a good bass is supposed to sound. If you give yourself time, your brain will get used to a sound that has probably never heard. Then, you might begin to enjoy the 700s.

Now, you love techno music... Different musical genres usually require different HPs to sound their best. Thus, as much as you might end up enjoying your 700s, you may still go and buy a HP that'll suit techno better (as l said earlier). Welcome to Head-fi!
wink.gif

May 27, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #3,965 of 9,320
I have some 700's arriving tomorrow, currently only have an Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard to drive them though.

I've been told these benefit a lot from tube amps particularly OTL. Any recommendations on a good tube amp/dac combo to try and get the best from these? I'm in the UK as well so that rules out a lot of them :/

May 27, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #3,966 of 9,320
For me, my very first and only 'audiophile' can was the HD555 which I'd bought years ago.....perhaps 10 years back I guess. Anyway, that and the Ety ER6  were the only serious can and IEM I'd gotten. Fast track forward to end October, early November last year, I was bitten by this audio bug and I simply took off, got a HD800 to kick things off. Yes, I found the bass to be anemic at first, but appreciated its wide soundstage (took me a while to get used to and appreciate its sublime bass).

Started buying cans left, right and center, and somewhere along the way, landed a HD700.....which at first, I hadn't quite like. I thought it sounded veiled, due to my using very sparkly treble cans like the ATH-AD2000, the HD800 and AKG K812. Now, when I listen to it, it doesn't sound veiled anymore, in fact, I prefer it over the ATH-AD2000 simply because it's as highly detailed, yet less fatiguing to my ears. The bass, as others has said, is textured and actually quite powerful in its own right. Even with my recent acquisition of both the Denon D2k/D7k, Fidelio X1 and the LCD2.2 I'd gotten in January, I feel the bass on the HD700 is is sufficiently good enough even against these cans which are known to have stronger bass.

Sure, IF I want more powerful bass, I'd switch to my LCD2 or Denons, but IF these weren't bassy enough (perhaps I was in a basshead mood), I could always put on my V-Moda Crossfade M100. Right now, I'm listening to some heavy bass tracks and while the HD700 can't produce feet thumping bass like my Audeze and Denons, it still sounds good enough for me to be bopping my head to the beat.

May 27, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #3,967 of 9,320
I have some 700's arriving tomorrow, currently only have an Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard to drive them though.

I've been told these benefit a lot from tube amps particularly OTL. Any recommendations on a good tube amp/dac combo to try and get the best from these? I'm in the UK as well so that rules out a lot of them :/

Woo audio. Wa6 , wa2
Bottlehead, darkvoice,
Is my opinion. :grinning:

May 27, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #3,969 of 9,320
For me, my very first and only 'audiophile' can was the HD555 which I'd bought years ago.....perhaps 10 years back I guess. Anyway, that and the Ety ER6  were the only serious can and IEM I'd gotten. Fast track forward to end October, early November last year, I was bitten by this audio bug and I simply took off, got a HD800 to kick things off. Yes, I found the bass to be anemic at first, but appreciated its wide soundstage (took me a while to get used to and appreciate its sublime bass).

Started buying cans left, right and center, and somewhere along the way, landed a HD700.....which at first, I hadn't quite like. I thought it sounded veiled, due to my using very sparkly treble cans like the ATH-AD2000, the HD800 and AKG K812. Now, when I listen to it, it doesn't sound veiled anymore, in fact, I prefer it over the ATH-AD2000 simply because it's as highly detailed, yet less fatiguing to my ears. The bass, as others has said, is textured and actually quite powerful in its own right. Even with my recent acquisition of both the Denon D2k/D7k, Fidelio X1 and the LCD2.2 I'd gotten in January, I feel the bass on the HD700 is is sufficiently good enough even against these cans which are known to have stronger bass.

Sure, IF I want more powerful bass, I'd switch to my LCD2 or Denons, but IF these weren't bassy enough (perhaps I was in a basshead mood), I could always put on my V-Moda Crossfade M100. Right now, I'm listening to some heavy bass tracks and while the HD700 can't produce feet thumping bass like my Audeze and Denons, it still sounds good enough for me to be bopping my head to the beat.

Burn in also makes a big difference on bass response.

May 27, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #3,970 of 9,320

Just to say: l don't think the 700s benefit from tube amps (or specifically OTL amps). It's those users who do not enjoy the 700s treble/sound signature who benefit from the OTL/tube amps. l have no problem with the 700s treble/SS out of my SS amp. Moreover, unless one doesn't know what his buying (which l don't think is your case), why would you buy the 700 if you don't like its accentuated treble? 

So my recommendation is you listen to them out of your soundcard and judge it for yourself: you might like the sound, after all 
wink.gif

May 27, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #3,972 of 9,320
http://m.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=Darkvoice&isNewKw=1&_sop=&_pgn=1&epp=24&itemId=&fads=1&mfs=GOCLK&acimp=0&sqp=darkvoice&_trksid=p2053742.m2428.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xdarkvoice

May 27, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #3,975 of 9,320
I'm that noob with all this I don't even know which cables I require to connect the Modi 2 to the Vali :D

Do I buy these? http://www.electromod.co.uk/schiit-audio/schiit-accessories/pyst-xlr-cables/ or these? http://www.electromod.co.uk/schiit-audio/schiit-accessories/pyst-single-ended-cables/

or both? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back